New England Road Trip

/ New England Road Trip #1  

Chuck52

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L210
With gas prices as they are, what better time to run up several thousand miles on a road trip? At least that seems to be the DW's attitude, so we're heading from mid-Missery to Vermont and New Hampshire next week. We have four days to get to our first B&B in northern Vermont, and have no itinerary in mind, but we do figure since it can be on the way, why not see Niagra Falls? I want to avoid just driving the interstates, and I have a question for you northern members about possible routes from Buffalo to Newport, VT. It looks like I could go US11 or New York Route 3. US11 has a certain appeal because I grew up along US11 in Tennessee. I went over 100 MPH for my first time on US11. I didn't get to second base any number of times in the back seat of various cars while riding down US11. On the other hand, New York Route 3 goes through the Adriondack Park, so I bet it is especially scenic. We're in no hurry and can cruise along, but I was thinking it might be like driving through the Smoky Mountains in the height of tourist season....bumper-to-bumper for miles. So, are either of those routes no one in his right mind would use? Not that I am often in my right mind. I tend to only visit on special occasions.

Chuck

/ New England Road Trip #2  
you might want to repost - technically that's not in New England, so the New Yorkers probably aren't looking, and New Englanders like myself have nothing to say.

Perfect time of year to come up. Try to get rooms for the night in advance, especially on weekends. Its a crisp 68 and sunny here now, with the leaves just starting to turn. Northern vermont should be at peak around the end of september

/ New England Road Trip #3  
oh and on that front, skip the Kancamangus in NH on weekends, unless you want a close up bumper view.

/ New England Road Trip #4  
Yea, the Kanc can be a real tourist trap during leaf season. Too bad you weren't about 3 weeks later for Fryeburg fair.

Tunbridge VT. is nice and has to be one of the prettiest fairs anywhere, and a nice place to visit, even if you are going to miss the fair (it's on this week).

Tunbridge World's Fair

Also the Queechie area and Woodstock are nice .

If you're coming to NH, Mt. Washington is worth it, although it may be closed due to snow. They are already dealing with freezing temps everyday over there. Mount Washington Observatory – White Mountains, New Hampshire (NH) Mount Washington Observatory – Weather
The cog railway is a fun ride, and the best view in New England.

If you're up for some driving through Mtn passes and want to see some great scenery, ride up to Northern NH to see Eddie Nash's tractor graveyard in Colebrook. Eddie Nash & Sons, Inc. Your wife will love it:rolleyes::D. Worth the ride by at least, although it is much smaller than it used to be.

If you're there, the ride up through Dixville Notch over to Erroll NH. From there a ride up Rt. 16 to Oquosoc and to Rangley ME. From there a ride down Rt. 17 across the Hight of Land is beautiful. Be careful of the moose. From there drop down to Rumford, jump onto Rt. 2 over through Rumford ME to Gorham NH. Drop down 16 to 302 and ride up through Crawford Notch. That area around Franconia is nice. It's a big circle and gives you some nice sights.

BTW, bring a jacket, apt to be chilly at least at night.

I hope this helps, I could go on and on, have fun, good luck.

/ New England Road Trip
Thanks for the replies and info. I was worried about gridlock....not so much once we get there as on the way. Sounds like there will be lots of stuff to do and things to see. I was using Google maps to look at the area where our first B&B is located on lake Memphremagog (what a name!) and I think if they'd go out and wave I could see them. I guess that's a "good thing", but also kinda scary. Maybe I ought to Google a map of NY Route 3 and just count the cars!

Chuck

/ New England Road Trip #6  
Your idea of traffic and mine are probably vastly different, but I doubt it will be an issue for you. The routes i suggested are all 2 lane roads, and three cars in a row would be considered a traffic jam. Going up the river to Oquosoc there are more moose than people.:D