New Era Begins: m7040 Arrives!!!

/ New Era Begins: m7040 Arrives!!! #21  
Nice wheels, new orange iron in your life is not an everyday event, enjoy! :)

/ New Era Begins: m7040 Arrives!!!
Had a bit of a break in the rain today. Still very wet and overcast though. I got out and did some "work" with the tractor. I did a little bit of digging up my outdoor riding arena. As many of you may know this is one of my goals. I was pleased to see that it is made up of coarse sand. Once this is done it would probably give me close to 1,000 cubic yards of all-purpose sand. That's a good thing. Because I plan to take out and remove permanently about 0.75 miles of old plank fencing. This will be great for filling in the holes. I'll tell you what! That thing can dig!! I don't know if I'll definately "need" a toothbar. I guess it would be nice for digging in compact soil and for popping up stumps. I did find out one thing though. I can't use the FEL to just scrape up the side of the fence, catch the planks, and pull the post out of the ground. All I was able to do was tear the planks off the fence posts. What I'm thinking about doing is getting a chain and looping it over the pallet forks, then hooking a fence post and pulling it out. That'll be a better way to do it than pushing the fence posts over. Smaller hole to fill in with all that abundant sand!! 4WD seems to work great too!! Didn't notice any rough driving or handling with it engaged. I did tear up my soggy muddy pasture a little bit though. I have figured out how to use the 3ph controls too. I was a little bit confused initially with the difference between position control, draft control, mixed control, and float. But I think I got it now. Just haven't been able to put it to practical use yet. I must say, this is too much fun!!:p

/ New Era Begins: m7040 Arrives!!! #24  
Congrats Chuck. That is an awesome machine. I am absolutely green, um, orange with envy.

/ New Era Begins: m7040 Arrives!!! #25  
Glowplug said:
But then I think I'd like a sprayer and a seeder to get the pasture in shape. Then if I do that I have to get a disk harrow and drag harrow. :D

You might check at your local SWCD or Farm Service... we use to call it Soil and Water Conservation District and I think they are in every county in the good ole US of A. Our county has a no-till drill that you can rent for $9/acre, I'm going to sign up for the thing in March, before some folks start using it to plant their soybeans. That would save you some bucks if oneis available. Some dealers might have one available to rent also. That is the reason I don't have a boat...at least a big boat.I can satisy my boat lust with an occasional renting and don't have to fool around with all the extra stuff that ownership involves....especailly $$$

Don

/ New Era Begins: m7040 Arrives!!! #26  
My 4-in-onebucket and the three point to quick attach has arrived at the dealer and unfortunately I am on business travel this week so it will be Saturday before I can pick it up. Looking forward to testing it out and be able to mount the big ballast box on the rear mounted pallet forks or altenatively I will now be able to mount the other bucket on the rear and fill it as ballast. Will take some pics over the weekend

/ New Era Begins: m7040 Arrives!!! #27  
IslandTractor said:
What, are you big bad M owners a bunch of candy a$$es? You have a canopy on that puppy. Get out there and rearrange mud piles.:D

Chuck, this is why you needed to get the cab!!!

When it's raining, you can play in the mud without getting wet or dirty!!!

Hope you are enjoying the beast!

Brrrrrrrrr!!! I am absolutely freezing!! Today after I came home from work I immediately went out to the tractor. I have this gigantic brush pile that I have been working on for the past 4 years since we bought our land. It is literally the size of a small house. It has settled and partially decomposed so that it is flatter and wider now. I got the loader, put it in float position, and bunched all that brush up. Now it is much taller and not nearly as wide. I don't think it served any purpose but it sure was fun. Then I went and excavated up some of the sand from my outdoor riding arena. I can't wait to get a toothbar! This past weekend I was out popping out fence posts. That was pretty cool too. It involved quite a bit of getting on and off the tractor though. I've got to figure out a better way to attach the chain to the post. Maybe I'll be able to do it without ever leaving the seat when I get my grapple. It's pretty nice though because I don't leave a wide hole. It's only as wide as the post. When we were building our house the builders had to remove some of the fence and they did it with a Bobcat. That left the holes very wide. Now all I've got to do is fill in the post holes with the sand from the riding arena. I don't know what I'll do when I get some implements.

I love that tractor!!! My wife feels very neglected!!

/ New Era Begins: m7040 Arrives!!! #29  
It is sooo sad that you're taking out that arena. I just took delivery today of an arena rake to BUILD one. Sure you don't want to haul some of it down here? I start Saturday - putting in fence and digging up for an arena!

-Brian

Well, I don't have that much use for it. At least not one that big. But I do have a lot of use for sand!! I may not dig it all up. I may just reduce its size to half. It is a very big arena.