New F-150 Motor Lineup

/ New F-150 Motor Lineup #1  

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
Has anyone checked these new motors out. I went to look at a new F-150 Raptor yesterday. I am really impressed. The 4.6L and 5.4L are out for 2011

The Raptor is a neat truck but not for me. It only has about a 8,000# tow rating and just over 1/2 ton payload capacity. Its not really a work truck but a specialty truck that should stomp all over anything when it comes to off roading.

The new motors are a monster 6.2L V8: 411HP/434 FT TQ 11,300# tow rating

A beast 3.5L V6 Twin Turbo: 365HP/420 FT TQ at 2500 rpm and 90% of that below 1,700 rpm. Looks like a real winner. Gets 20% better fuel economy than the competition. 11,300# tow rating.

A base 3.7L V6: 300HP/ 275 FT TQ 6,100# tow rating.

And a 5.0L V8: 360HP/380 FT TQ 9,800# tow rating.

ALL NEW FORD F-150 POWERTRAIN LINEUP DELIVERS BEST-IN-CLASS FUEL EC ... - Press Release - Ford

Another thing that really impressed me is Ford got the tow ratings right. 11,300# is capable with the 6.2L V8 and the Twin Turbo 3.5L V6 with any configuration of 4x4 or not, bed length, and cab configuration. Gone are the days of you where you can only get the big tow rating with a striped down 2 wheel drive long bed work truck with the big engine. They are also all automatic 6 speeds.

All the engines are lighter but stronger. All have 5 4 bolt mains for stout bottom ends. All engines have a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

The 3.5L Twin Turbo really looks like the future. It uses a injection system that is very similar to a diesel. The tough part will be convincing the public that is so pro V8 that a twin turbo 3.5 L V6 can give better performance and near diesel power. Ford will really have to do a good job with the ad campaign to show this engine will meet or beat the competition while have equal to or better capacities while being more fuel efficient at the same time.

Chris

/ New F-150 Motor Lineup
http://www.dodge.com/shared/2010/ra...low_band/10_d_r15_cap_pow_57hemiv8_prm_lb.jpg

Looks like they are trying to copy this with 6.2. The hemi almost equals it with 1/2 liter less displacement.

I agree and do not care for it at all. Been down the Hemi route once before in a truck. Don't get me wrong, I would be proud to have this 6.2L Ford in a Mustang sitting in my garage or a Hemi powered Dodge Challenger but not in a truck for me.

If I were to order a truck today it would be the 3.5L Twin Turbo F-150 4x4 Super Crew. I do not care for these high revving V8's. Maybe I am old school but Nissan and Toyota still have a good 5 1/2 liter grunt V8 still available so if that was what I wanted I would turn that direction.

The main reason I posted is just to let others who do not keep up on these things a look at what is soon to come. Not to start a my truck is better than yours fight. I am not planning on buying a truck in the next 12 months and if I were it would not be another 1/2 ton. I would sell the 04 F-250 Powertroke 4x4 and get a new F-350 SRW 4x4 Powertroke.

Chris

/ New F-150 Motor Lineup #5  
A 3.5L twin turbo v6...... I did not see that coming. I do see some potential warranty issues concerning the turbo's with soccer moms shutting the engine down with the egt's at 1800 degrees over the coarse of 50k.

/ New F-150 Motor Lineup #6  
As a diesel fan I don't know why manufacturers don't offer more diesel selections.

Jeep had a diesel but in the wrong vehicle in my opinion. GMC should have done a diesel in their baby Hummer line because the gas models sucked gas.

More and more Euro manufacturers are going diesel, but still not here in the USA.

Could you imagine a F150 with a small diesel. I purchased a VW Bug a few years back with a diesel and that thing passed everything on the road and got over 35Mpg. if I drove sanely.

I'm driving a Dodge Sprinter now that I traded a GMC 350 dually Duramax for, and the diesel in the Dodge purrs. I took a heavy load over the mountain roads near Denver and you couldn't feel the load.

The Duramax was fine but never got past 11mpg. With the Sprinter I'm hitting 22 all day long and better if don't race around.

/ New F-150 Motor Lineup
A 3.5L twin turbo v6...... I did not see that coming. I do see some potential warranty issues concerning the turbo's with soccer moms shutting the engine down with the egt's at 1800 degrees over the coarse of 50k.

Ryan

I am not sure where I heard it but it think these new turbo engines have a electric oil pump that keeps a timed flow of oil going though the Turbo's. I wonder if they will be using something like that.

Also, with the new synthetic oils, which I am sure Ford is requiring to get the 10,000 mile oil change intervals, there will be much more protection than what we old guys are used to. I remember when my girl friend had a Dodge/Chrysler IROC something or other back in High School. It had a turbo that had to be replaced every 18 months due to spun bearings. But today you very rarely hear of turbos being replaced.

Personally I have had 3 turbo Powerstrokes and 1 turbo Dmax and have about 350,000 miles between the 4 diesel trucks and have never had a issue with a turbo. I usually wait maybe 10 seconds at most before shutdown.

Chris

/ New F-150 Motor Lineup #8  
I am planning on buying a new Expedition but they are not offering the new engines for '11, the 5.4 is the only engine available. Rumors are the new engines will be used for '12. The 5.4 has been a great engine but I was hoping to get a 6.2.

/ New F-150 Motor Lineup #9  
it's amazing how far these engines have come. v-6's making equal/more power then my 5.3 v-8, turbo's, better fuel economy, etc. i remember back in 2004 when i bought my Z71 i thought "295hp is all the power anyone could ever want". now those are v-6 numbers.lol i tell ya, the more i read about that new 6.2 in the F-250's the more i want one. if GM would get off their duff and put their 6.2 in their HD line, or at least offer a better gas option then the 6.0, i'd give them a serious look. why buy an ancient 6.0 with poor fuel economy numbers when i can get more power and better fuel mileage from the 6.2 Ford's offering. the 6.0 has been pretty reliable but it's not one of my favorite GM engines of all time. i would rate it along the lines of the Hemi.....decent, but the choices could be MUCH better for the application it's being used in(heavy duty towing when a diesel isn't needed).

is this 5.0 the same one they used in the mustangs back in 88-92? if so that's a tried and true powerhouse with unlimited modifications for power increases!

/ New F-150 Motor Lineup #10  
The Raptor is a neat truck but not for me. It only has about a 8,000# tow rating and just over 1/2 ton payload capacity. Its not really a work truck but a specialty truck that should stomp all over anything when it comes to off roading.

It's not a Jeep...

A beast 3.5L V6 Twin Turbo: 365HP/420 FT TQ at 2500 rpm and 90% of that below 1,700 rpm. Looks like a real winner. Gets 20% better fuel economy than the competition. 11,300# tow rating.

Sounds kinda like what GM did with that Cyclone some years back. A friend had one. Fast... Twin turbo, all wheel drive. Not off-road type all wheel drive; canyon running twisting turny burnin up kinda "truck". Didn't last though.