New garage time!

/ New garage time! #1,181  
I honestly don't know why the yellow covering has to come off, but if it's on there, the inspector will say something. Same thing with outlet boxes.

/ New garage time! #1,182  
If nothing else,it is a cleaner look

/ New garage time! #1,184  
I wired homes for 19 years before I went to work in as an electrician in a hospital setting. The inspectors like to reference this:
NEC code 110.12 states 'in a workmanship like manner' .
If the panel and all electrical runs are neat and tidy it looks more like you know what you are doing and planned the job out well.

/ New garage time!
#1,185  
Working on a makeshift elevator using my scissor lift. I parked it in the back and was using it to go up and down, but getting anything sizable into the lift was a pain. Steps up to a platform, and the wall will fold down for loading. Then up, and the wall will fold down to make a platform to cross the gap.

mtOYxzO.jpg

n4JYfw5.jpg

Cqkn9HO.jpg

/ New garage time! #1,186  
Good to see updates again. Did you ever finish putting a different engine in your skidsteer?

/ New garage time!
#1,187  
Good to see updates again. Did you ever finish putting a different engine in your skidsteer?
Not yet. Lots going on. Finishing the basement, put in a new laundry room, going to move my office down there to make room for the new nursery. So all basement storage needs to go on the second floor of the garage.

/ New garage time! #1,188  
Thanks for the update. The other day I was wondering how this whole project was going. Your handle always makes me smile.

/ New garage time!
#1,189  
Heat!

Since I've run out of budget basically due to the increase in price of materials gone up 10 fold in some cases, a lot of stuff is on hold, so I'm looking to add some heat on the cheap. And that goes beyond running my 110k btu bullet heater on kerosene for 3-4 hours to get the temps up a bit.

It's getting chilly, I would like some heat in the garage. Some of you may remember from about 100 pages ago that I put in pex tubing in the concrete. Lots of it.

And since as of yet I have no insulation in the walls, spending a lot of money on heat will largely be wasted. But I've come up with a scheme that just may ease the temps a little bit.

If I put 1000w of solar panels on the roof, an mppt controller with load out, then run that to a 1000w heating element inside a bucket of some sort, then it should make warm water. Then pump that water into the pex tubing into the floor with a circulation pump. Since it's a closed system it wouldn't be net new water.

Now that will only work if the floor doesn't lose more than 1000w of heat by the time the full loop completes. But, if I add another 1000w of panels, and another 1000w heating element, and so on, that should work if I get enough.

The other consideration is, I'm not in the shop in the morning, it is usually early afternoon. So if that thing starts heating at 9-10am, by 2pm I would think it would be decent enough. I'm not expecting 70f, but it would be nice if it wasn't 20f. And not walking on cold concrete. Sun sets at 3-4 and panels drop off, but by that time i should have a decent amount of residual heat stored in the concrete. And for those that don't remember, I have 2" insulating foam on all sides of the pad.

I can do all this for about $150 per 1000w of heat, circulation pump is pretty easy/cheap. I just need to buy or build a tank that will take multiple heating elements.

And what will become of my concrete pad that is heated up and then frozen on a nearly daily basis?

/ New garage time! #1,190  
If you put straight water in there and your circ pump and/or heating elements turn off or fail, the water will freeze in the pipes and cause you severe grief. At the least, use an antifreeze mix designed for in-floor heating systems.

If I were in your situation, I'd get a water heater and circulation pump in there instead of the solar, fill the system with antifreeze, and off you go. Heat anytime of day or night.

There are plenty of videos on that on youtube.