New Holland T2310 (40hp) PTO use advice

/ New Holland T2310 (40hp) PTO use advice #1  

airbiscuit

Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
I have been using a John Deere 850 for brush hogging. It has a freewheeling two stage PTO clutch, so no issues when I run into something, or just shutting it down and letting the cutter freewheel until it stops. I gather that the newer New Holland that I have has a brake on the PTO. Does that mean that it is going to engage every time I shut the PTO off, or is there an in between setting where it can freewheel. I don't want to wear out the brake. Should I buy an overrunning PTO shaft?

/ New Holland T2310 (40hp) PTO use advice #2  
When you are wanting to shut the cutter (PTO) off, lower the RPM of the tractor to an idle, when the engine gets to idle, shut the PTO off... That's the easiest on the cutter and the tractor...

SR

/ New Holland T2310 (40hp) PTO use advice
When you are wanting to shut the cutter (PTO) off, lower the RPM of the tractor to an idle, when the engine gets to idle, shut the PTO off... That's the easiest on the cutter and the tractor...

I have always idled it down when engaging or disengaging (as it is, it kind of shakes when those hinged blades get up top speed). I just know that with the John Deere it freewheels for long time.