New Kubota Tractor Purchase

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #1  

AB4D

Silver Member
Tractor
Prior: Kubota BX-23, Kubota L3430HSTC, Kubota ZG23, L3560 HSTC Limited Edition, Current: L6060 HSTC
Hi All,

I'm in a position where I need a tractor again to use on some acreage I've acquired. Previously, I owned a Kubota Grand L Cab Tractor 34hp (L3430). I purchased that one new around 2005 and sold it in 2018, when I moved from my previous home that had acreage. I learned a few lessons with that ownership, one is to get 50hp or bigger, that seems to be the cut off for some implements, and I always wished for greater capacity on the FEL.

I visited my two local Kubota dealers, interested in the current Grand L60 series. Basically, what I had before, but with a larger engine. However, the sales reps were really steering me towards the MX series with a Cab rather than the L. Oddly, they mentioned the MX is heavier and larger (longer and wider) than the L, but the published specs don't support that. Perhaps they were speaking cab vs non cab?

I compared the specs. It seems like a tradeoff, more FEL capacity with the MX, but less three point capacity than the L. Price is around 50K for the MX5400 with Cab and FEL, standard bucket, maybe 2K more for the MX6000. We didn't get into pricing for a Grand L60, but I'm sure the cost is substantially higher.

I've been away from any land work and Kubota for years, and haven't really kept up with the good and bad regarding Kubota's current production. Still trying to figure out what I would miss with the Grand L60 vs the MX6000.

Thoughts?

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #2  
So why are you looking at the Grand and MX vs the M series? I just purchased a M7060 with 12 speed tranny for under 50K. Way more tractor than the MX series from what I remember anyways. I absolutely love it. Moving dirt today and have 10 hours on her now.

IMG_3479.jpg

View attachment 777088

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #3  

Messicks: Kubota 'M' VS L6060 VS Kubota MX6000​

Two Grand L features I would miss on an MX series Kubota tractor:

1. Tilt Steering Wheel

2. Ground Level Fueling from cans.

Within the Grand L offering you can choose a Category 1 or Category 2 Three Point Hitch.

The MX tractors all have a Category 2 Three Point Hitch.
(One can shim Category 1 implement pins to fit a Category 2 Three Point Hitch.)

Last edited:
   / New Kubota Tractor Purchase #4  
I chose the MX. Not sorry ;)

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #5  
So why MX and not M?

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #6  
Maybe I missed it but what type of work do you plan to do with the tractor? Sure everyone that has a 30hp wishes they had a 50hp tractor so they could use some implement, and the 50hp guy wishes he had 75hp to do work a little faster. But what are you looking for other than 50hp?

Odly enough tractors were never designed to pick up large loads in a FEL, which is a reason why you need a large tractor to lift even a moderate load. If that is your primary concern, have you considered a skid steer?

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #7  
I chose the MX. Not sorry ;)
Me too. The MX is a sweet spot between utility tractor capabilities and L series maneuverability. I find it to be extremely stable . Also it is a basic tractor with just enough nice features to make operations enjoyable. The cat 1 and 2 3ph adds lots of versatility.

Last edited:
   / New Kubota Tractor Purchase #8  
Good reasons to choose either an L or an M or the inbetween MX. To be honest. I was shopping used when an MX popped up on the market very close to me. It was like new (147 hrs) and thousands cheaper than new. And it ticked all my boxes. Loader and gannon with 3 rear remotes. I have some tight spaces to mow where an M would be a pain to manuver. I like the utilitarian aspect of the MX. I don't need a luxury tractor with the most complicated transmission available etc.
I admit the tilt steering wheel would be nice - but it's a tractor not a car and I don't spend more than 2 or 3 hours on it at a time,

Last edited:
   / New Kubota Tractor Purchase #9  
Hi All,

I'm in a position where I need a tractor again to use on some acreage I've acquired. Previously, I owned a Kubota Grand L Cab Tractor 34hp (L3430). I purchased that one new around 2005 and sold it in 2018, when I moved from my previous home that had acreage. I learned a few lessons with that ownership, one is to get 50hp or bigger, that seems to be the cut off for some implements, and I always wished for greater capacity on the FEL.

I visited my two local Kubota dealers, interested in the current Grand L60 series. Basically, what I had before, but with a larger engine. However, the sales reps were really steering me towards the MX series with a Cab rather than the L. Oddly, they mentioned the MX is heavier and larger (longer and wider) than the L, but the published specs don't support that. Perhaps they were speaking cab vs non cab?

I compared the specs. It seems like a tradeoff, more FEL capacity with the MX, but less three point capacity than the L. Price is around 50K for the MX5400 with Cab and FEL, standard bucket, maybe 2K more for the MX6000. We didn't get into pricing for a Grand L60, but I'm sure the cost is substantially higher.

I've been away from any land work and Kubota for years, and haven't really kept up with the good and bad regarding Kubota's current production. Still trying to figure out what I would miss with the Grand L60 vs the MX6000.

Thoughts?
The MX has become popular with dealers vis a vis the GL because it is less expensive and easier to sell. The availability of a cab on the MX6000 sweetened the pot making the L6060 cab version a tough sell to many folks.

That said, you cannot trust what salesman tell you and must do your own research. The MX54/6000 is neither heavier nor longer WB than the L6060 but the differences are rather small.

M suspiscion is that your dealers have MXs on hand or in the pipeline but not GLs. My dealer has several MXs on the lot but no longer stocks GLs.

Once you have become familiar with the HST Plus transmission, you will miss it once going back to the MX.