New Kubota Tractor Purchase

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase
I found that video last night good information. Messicks is great. I would purchase my parts from them. Thanks for sharing.

Messicks: Kubota 'M' VS L6060 VS Kubota MX6000​

Two Grand L features I would miss on an MX series Kubota tractor:

1. Tilt Steering Wheel

2. Ground Level Fueling from cans.

Within the Grand L offering you can choose a Category 1 or Category 2 Three Point Hitch.

The MX tractors all have a Category 2 Three Point Hitch.
(One can shim Category 1 implement pins to fit a Category 2 Three Point Hitch.)

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase
Thanks for all the input. First why the L/MX rather than the M. I would like a cab tractor with HST. Simply, the M with the cab and FEL is a bit higher than I have budgeted, and it also does not offer the HST. I reviewed a few comparison videos of the Grand L and MX, it seems to be the same size tractor as I had before with the Grand L30.

The things giving me pause on the MX vs the Grand L60. First, the 3 point rear lift mechanism. The Grand L60 has a better independent external hydraulic lift with higher capabilities vs. integral to the transmission on the MX. The HST transmission on the MX seems to be more to what I had on the Grand L30.

Kubota also indicates a rear backhoe is not capable for the MX series but is available for the Grand L60, and the Grand L60 also offers a mid PTO. I don't know if I would buy a BH but it would be nice to have that option. The cab is much nicer on the Grand L60 as well, but overall is the Grand L60 $10,000 better than the MX???

As far as uses. The property currently a 28+ acre tree farm. It needs some upkeep, initially clearing of undesirable trees and understory/brush.
There is a perimeter trail around the property that needs to be maintained, and a rotary cutter is best for that. So basically skidding logs and moving limbs and brush to our wood chipper.

Long term, we plan to clear off three acres for a homesite, that will be subcontracted out to one of the forestry firms. Then the tractor will be used for more typical things, such as maintaining the lot/driveway, light material moving/spreading gravel and dirt.

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #13  
Thanks for all the input. First why the L/MX rather than the M. I would like a cab tractor with HST. Simply, the M with the cab and FEL is a bit higher than I have budgeted, and it also does not offer the HST. I reviewed a few comparison videos of the Grand L and MX, it seems to be the same size tractor as I had before with the Grand L30.

The things giving me pause on the MX vs the Grand L60. First, the 3 point rear lift mechanism. The Grand L60 has a better independent external hydraulic lift with higher capabilities vs. integral to the transmission on the MX. The HST transmission on the MX seems to be more to what I had on the Grand L30.

Kubota also indicates a rear backhoe is not capable for the MX series but is available for the Grand L60, and the Grand L60 also offers a mid PTO. I don't know if I would buy a BH but it would be nice to have that option. The cab is much nicer on the Grand L60 as well, but overall is the Grand L60 $10,000 better than the MX???

As far as uses. The property currently a 28+ acre tree farm. It needs some upkeep, initially clearing of undesirable trees and understory/brush.
There is a perimeter trail around the property that needs to be maintained, and a rotary cutter is best for that. So basically skidding logs and moving limbs and brush to our wood chipper.

Long term, we plan to clear off three acres for a homesite, that will be subcontracted out to one of the forestry firms. Then the tractor will be used for more typical things, such as maintaining the lot/driveway, light material moving/spreading gravel and dirt.
If your hard line is HST, stop worrying about three point capacity. You won’t have enough power to pull anything you can’t lift with the MX.

I am not sure what the cabbed MX offers but the market for MX is the cheap highly capable niche of tractors. It does a lot of things and has a lot of great numbers but it has nothing it doesn’t need. I have one, it would probably be the last tractor I’d part with. But, the 10k difference is for folks who are spending 8-16 hours a day in that rig. My boy and I hay using my MX and M4 and let me tell you what that MX is gonna do everything (minus run the big mower) but it will beat the ever living crap out of you and the ergonomics are horrid for doing work behind the tractor (where a tractor can do the most work). 10k is buying a lot in the M series beyond the numbers on the spec sheet, as I get older I’m valuing those things more.

I think for 28 acres and the work you describe an MX is an ideal choice.

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #14  
If your hard line is HST, stop worrying about three point capacity. You won’t have enough power to pull anything you can’t lift with the MX.

I am not sure what the cabbed MX offers but the market for MX is the cheap highly capable niche of tractors. It does a lot of things and has a lot of great numbers but it has nothing it doesn’t need. I have one, it would probably be the last tractor I’d part with. But, the 10k difference is for folks who are spending 8-16 hours a day in that rig. My boy and I hay using my MX and M4 and let me tell you what that MX is gonna do everything (minus run the big mower) but it will beat the ever living crap out of you and the ergonomics are horrid for doing work behind the tractor (where a tractor can do the most work). 10k is buying a lot in the M series beyond the numbers on the spec sheet, as I get older I’m valuing those things more.

I think for 28 acres and the work you describe an MX is an ideal choice.
Unless you have 10k to burn on niceities like tilt wheel and premium seating. My inderstanding is the MX is also blessed with a bigger heavier rearend than the L models.

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #15  
My inderstanding is the MX is also blessed with a bigger heavier rearend than the L models.
I am not quite as current on Kubota models as I was pre-Covid, but I am fairly confident in writing a Category 2 equipped Grand L and two current MX models share some Category 2 Three Point Hitch components. The Grand L has two external hydraulic cylinders to lift the hitch. The MX has one internal hydraulic cylinder, which transfers Three Point Hitch lift via an intermediate rock shaft, so they are not exactly the same.

Really minimal differences.

I belive a mid-PTO is standard on Cab versions of the Grand L, factory optional on an open station Grand L. There have been several posts on T-B-N proclaiming that installation of a mid-PTO outside of the factory is surprisingly complex, hence a mid-PTO for an open station Grand L is best ordered as an option from the factory, rather than later for dealer or owner installation.

Wheels and tires on a Grand L incrementally increase in size as horsepower increases from the base forty, in increments, to sixty horsepower.

I suggest you consider if the additional complexity of a turbocharged engine is something desirable in your circumstances. Some Grand L models are naturally aspirated, some turbocharged.

The HST transmission on the MX seems to be more to what I had on the Grand L30.

YES.

The evolved HST/Plus transmission on the new Grand L tractors is a large increment more interesting and efficiency promoting that the HST on your prior L30. Stall Guard is my personal favorite application, of many, of the Grand L HST/Plus transmission.

I reviewed a few comparison videos of the Grand L and MX, it seems to be the same size tractor as I had before with the Grand L30.

YES.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

In my opinion it takes a 50% increase in bare tractor weight before a SIGNIFICANT capability increase is noticed by the operator in actual working conditions.

Kubota L3430 Dimensions​

Dimensions
Wheelbase:71.1 inches
180 cm
Length:114.8 inches
291 cm
Width:59.8 inches
151 cm
Height:84.3 inches
214 cm
Weight:3305 lbs
1499 kg
Ground clearance:14 inches
35 cm

Kubota MX5400 Dimensions​

Kubota MX5400 Weight
4WD Gear ROPS :3716 lbs
1685 kg
4WD Gear Cab :4251 lbs
1928 kg
4WD Hydro ROPS :3734 lbs
1693 kg
4WD Hydro Cab :4268 lbs
1935 kg

Kubota L5460 Dimensions​

Dimensions
Wheelbase:75.4 inches
191 cm
Length:126.4 inches
321 cm
Width:67.3 inches
170 cm (min)
Height (ROPS):98 inches
248 cm
Height (cab):92.5 inches
234 cm
ROPS Weight:3990 lbs
1809 kg
Cab Weight:4365 lbs
1979 kg

Last edited:
   / New Kubota Tractor Purchase #16  
I'm not sure enough emphasis has been put on the advantages of the HST+ transmission. Before, I was always singing the praises of shuttle and powershift - and I still prefer them for a mostly field work tractor or long distance to travel..... and they are decent for loader work too.

But for loader work a HST is simply nicer. And if you like a HST transmission, you are going to love the HST+. It has a lot of settings to customize the way that the HST works, and it gives the operator a huge instantaneous torque increase for tough jobs. You can gear up or down half a range with a movement of one finger. When it starts to lug, a movement of one finger is like someone just added 50% more HP.

Amazing advantage. What's even more amazing is nobody else has it.

HST+ doesn't seem to have a downside. I don't recall a single negative comment on it by anyone since it came out. Zero hiccups....& no problems. Ours is now in it's 15th year of mostly loader & BH work. We work it hard. It hasn't changed one little bit.

rScotty

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #17  
I am not quite as current on Kubota models as I was pre-Covid, but I am fairly confident in writing a Category 2 equipped Grand L and two current MX models have the same Category 2 Three Point Hitch components. The Grand L has two external hydraulic cylinders to lift the hitch. The MX has one internal hydraulic cylinder, which transfers Three Point Hitch lift via an intermediate rock shaft.

Really very, very minimal differences.

I belive a mid-PTO is standard on Cab versions of the Grand L, factory optional on an open station Grand L. There have been several posts on T-B-N proclaiming that installation of a mid-PTO outside of the factory is surprisingly complex, hence a mid-PTO for an open station Grand L is best ordered as an option from the factory, rather than later for dealer or owner installation.

Wheels and tires on a Grand L incrementally increase in size as horsepower increases from the base forty, in increments, to sixty horsepower.

I reviewed a few comparison videos of the Grand L and MX, it seems to be the same size tractor as I had before with the Grand L30.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Mid PTO's are actually an option on the GL's.

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #18  
Sounds like your dealer is just trying to push what they have on hand.....either that or they are ignorant about their own models.

The L6060 is actually HEAVIER, and has a STRONGER loader, and is LONGER than the MX. For all intents and purposes, the L6060 is the BIGGER tractor of the two.

But the differences are so minor. 100# heavier, less than 100# more lift capacity, and only about an inch longer.

There arent two more closely spec'd tractors on the market. In the real world, preformance would be as identical as one can espect. If the MX cant do something, neither can the L. IF the MX can do something, so can the L.

The two BIGGEST differences are
1. The GrandL is a luxury machine. The MX is basic. So I'd suggest you sit in and drive both. Then decide if the luxury us worth the premium $$$
2. The MX has larger front tires. This boggles my mind honestly. I dont understand why they dont put the larger tires on the larger GrandL's

/ New Kubota Tractor Purchase #19  
Sounds like your dealer is just trying to push what they have on hand.....either that or they are ignorant about their own models.

The L6060 is actually HEAVIER, and has a STRONGER loader, and is LONGER than the MX. For all intents and purposes, the L6060 is the BIGGER tractor of the two.

But the differences are so minor. 100# heavier, less than 100# more lift capacity, and only about an inch longer.

There arent two more closely spec'd tractors on the market. In the real world, preformance would be as identical as one can espect. If the MX cant do something, neither can the L. IF the MX can do something, so can the L.

The two BIGGEST differences are
1. The GrandL is a luxury machine. The MX is basic. So I'd suggest you sit in and drive both. Then decide if the luxury us worth the premium $$$
2. The MX has larger front tires. This boggles my mind honestly. I dont understand why they dont put the larger tires on the larger GrandL's
Don’t minimize those larger front tires. They add more stability on rough ground, and especially for FEL work.