New Lawn for new house - looking for input and advice

/ New Lawn for new house - looking for input and advice #1  

serfas1988

Tractor
Kubota L3301
Hi,

We recently finished building a house and I'm getting ready to do the lawn this fall. Currently, the area where the lawn will be going is mostly backfill from the house that was rough graded by my excavation contractor and an area over the septic field.

My equipment is an L3301 with a FEL and a box blade. I also have access to a landscape rake if I need it. Big implements like a pto tiller aren't really in the budget right now so I'd like to try and complete this with what I have. I could buy or build a drag mat if need be though.

My planned approach right now is to:
1) Remove all the large rocks/roots/debris from the area
2) Loosen up the existing soil with the scarifiers on my box blade and remove any existing weeds
3) Spread a layer of topsoil to a min of 6" depth over the existing soil and smooth it out with the box blade and raking by hand
4) Fertilize, seed and water

Am I missing anything? Can I do this with just my box blade and FEL? Any input and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
   / New Lawn for new house - looking for input and advice #2  
3) Spread a layer of topsoil to a min of 6" depth over the existing soil and smooth it out with the box blade and raking by hand
Depending on how much area you're talking about, that could be many truckloads and exceed the cost of a tiller and they ain't no way I'd be raking that all by hand. Then what happens when the big rainstorm passes before the seed takes hold? Wanna see your money go down the drain? Literally?

You might be better off getting some other organic waste material and buying (or renting) a tiller to work it in.

Drag/chain harrow of some sort before and after the seed. Roller to compact the seed into the dirt. Cover with hay/straw or similar.

One tip for a landscape rake if you get one. Use a chain in place of the top link. Set it to just skim the surface for the first few passes. That will allow it to float and be less prone to digging in when the front wheels go over small rises or humps. Done right, you can pull the tops off those small humps and move the material to fill in the low spots. Takes some practice though.

I've made a couple of small drags using old fence wire wrapped around wood posts or pallets for weight. Ugly as can be, but they've worked for what I needed them to do.

Last edited:
   / New Lawn for new house - looking for input and advice
Depending on how much area you're talking about, that could be many truckloads and exceed the cost of a tiller and they ain't no way I'd be raking that all by hand
I'm not putting in a big lawn (I hate mowing). Total area might be a less than 1/2 of an acre. I had planned to mostly spread the top soil it with the box blade and then touch it up with a landscape rake.

The backfill I'm working with is more like gravel and not even weeds seem to grow on it. That's why I thought I'd need a thick layer of topsoil.

Then what happens when the big rainstorm passes before the seed takes hold? Wanna see your money go down the drain? Literally?
This is why I asked for help. I want to do it right the first time if I can and not waste my time and money. I see a lot of the new builds around me just lay the topsoil over the backfill and plant their grass - they don't seem to till or break up the existing soil at all. I'm not saying that's the right way to do it, but that's what I based my planned approach on.

You might be better off getting some other organic waste material and buying (or renting) a tiller to work it in.

I can't rent seem to rent a PTO roto tiller locally. Is there anything else that would work? If what I'm starting with is gravel will I still need a layer of top soil even if I till in decent soil or organic waste?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
   / New Lawn for new house - looking for input and advice #4  
I recommend having your soil tested and then amend per soil test results for whatever grass type you will sow.

A soil test in Florida costs less than $10.

Grass seed in the South requires bright light to germinate. Therefore, rolling in seed is preferable to covering seed.

Sow grass seed before it gets hot in SJC, prior to forecast rain. Roll in immediately after rain. Irragate young grass every day or the fertilizer will burn it.

Last edited:
   / New Lawn for new house - looking for input and advice #5  
Agree with soil test and go accordingly.

In SW Michigan, the best time to put in a new lawn is late August to September. Otherwise, you are fighting weeds all summer. My neighbor tried the spring lawn approach, even though I told him to wait, and he wasted his money on the first try and tilled everything under in the fall and did it over!

Also, water, water, water.

Contact your local county extension office. Lots of free information for your area on horticulture/agriculture.

Last edited:
   / New Lawn for new house - looking for input and advice #6  
I rented a Harley Rake when I did a yard years ago. You can probably get one for a few hundred over a weekend. This will save you a lot of headache and hand raking as far as leveling everything out. I always put Lime out with fertilizer and put straw down and as others have stated keep the water on it. You need to run an aerator as well to push that grass seed in the ground.

I have a soil pulverizer now that I bought for 500 bucks. I use that with box blade and york rake currently on my new stuff I am planting.

/ New Lawn for new house - looking for input and advice #7  
By your description, you definitely need top soil hauled in. Then a drag or land plane to get it smooth. That's very important. Imperfections that are present when you seed will be there for years to come.

A cultipacker is the best tool for covering seed. Keep in mind the ideal burial depth of grass seed is 150% of the seed's length. Very shallow. You should be able to still see a small percentage of your seed laying on top when you are done. That's why the cultipacker is so efficient. It simply presses the seed into the topsoil without burying it too deep.

Another possible option is to rent a seeder that goes on your tractor 3pt. Depending on model, it will lightly till the soil, plant the seed and cultipack behind the seed, all in one trip. You still need to do the leveling prior to it's use.

Lastly, my Nephew owns/operates a sod farm. I consider him an expert on seeding. He says when you scatter the seed you should not be able to put your thumb on the ground without touching a seed. Think about that. Don't go cheap on the amount of seed you apply. If you do, you'll have a cheap yard. He recommends 300lbs of a mixed variety per acre.

I built a drag and worked my yard for hours and hours. I spread my seed with a 3pt fan seeder. Then went over it with a cultipacker. I also applied 200lbs p/acre of 12-12-12 pelleted fertilizer. I seeded right after Labor Day.

Lastly, all advice/opinions you get here are based on the giver's location. I'm in Northern Missouri.

/ New Lawn for new house - looking for input and advice #8  
By your description, you definitely need top soil hauled in. Then a drag or land plane to get it smooth. That's very important. Imperfections that are present when you seed will be there for years to come.

A cultipacker is the best tool for covering seed. Keep in mind the ideal burial depth of grass seed is 150% of the seed's length. Very shallow. You should be able to still see a small percentage of your seed laying on top when you are done. That's why the cultipacker is so efficient. It simply presses the seed into the topsoil without burying it too deep.

Another possible option is to rent a seeder that goes on your tractor 3pt. Depending on model, it will lightly till the soil, plant the seed and cultipack behind the seed, all in one trip. You still need to do the leveling prior to it's use.

Lastly, my Nephew owns/operates a sod farm. I consider him an expert on seeding. He says when you scatter the seed you should not be able to put your thumb on the ground without touching a seed. Think about that. Don't go cheap on the amount of seed you apply. If you do, you'll have a cheap yard. He recommends 300lbs of a mixed variety per acre.(y)

I built a drag and worked my yard for hours and hours. I spread my seed with a 3pt fan seeder. Then went over it with a cultipacker. I also applied 200lbs p/acre of 12-12-12 pelleted fertilizer. I seeded right after Labor Day.

Lastly, all advice/opinions you get here are based on the giver's location. I'm in Northern Missouri.

/ New Lawn for new house - looking for input and advice
Some great advice in this thread - thanks everyone for the input.

/ New Lawn for new house - looking for input and advice #10  
I would not fertilize grass seed. I don't even fertilize my lawn.

Agree re the soil test. Their fertilizer recommendations will not be based on the soil test because they cannot test for nitrogen. I volunteered at the extension office for nearly 20 years. I would not worry about getting soil pH to almost 7 either. Near 6 is good enough.

The test will mainly tell you if you're missing some vital nutrients.