New mower help

/ New mower help #1  

MarkV

Tractor
1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39
I need new mowing equipment and after a new tractor last year it looks like $3000 is all I can sneak past ‘she who hides the check book’. I am mowing about 11/4 acres of finish lawn that is relatively smooth and flat. I’ve been using a 17 hp Murray with a 42” deck that we bought used when we first moved here. It has done the job but has reached the point where it takes to long to pick up the parts that fall off each time we mow. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

In a perfect world I would go and buy a pro ZTR with at least a 50” deck. That just isn’t going to happen so now I need to look at a second choice. The home owner ZTR’s fit the price range but there have been so many negative comments on this forum that I am a bit scared of them. I certainly understand the difference in quality and durability of the pro vs home owner’s models, I just wonder if the concerns are a bit over stated for my situation. After all, I would expect the pro models to be made for cutting acres a day and I want to cut an acre a week.

The other option would be a new riding mower/garden tractor. It looks as if they be a large up grade from the Murray as I look at models in the price range.

So what would everyone suggest that fits the price? The grass is growing and the Murray is dieing.

Thanks for the help,
MarkV

/ New mower help #2  
I don't know anything about the ZTRs so can't help you there, but if you are interested in a lawn/garden tractor....I have seen Cub Cadet 1554 tractors at several places for $2999. That would be a giant step ahead of your Murray with 20+ hp and 54 inch cutting deck. They are also heavy enough to put a number of attachments on so you can get more use out it rather than just mowing the yard. The turning radius on these tractors has been improved so that they will come close to competing with the ZTR and you can still use it for other things besides mowing.
Good luck on the mower search and hope you can find what you want before you have to bale that grass. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New mower help #3  
For $3k you can even be on a new Cub Cadet 2542, that has big advantages over the 1500 series that being the shaft drive and horizontal shaft Kohler Command engine which is more or less what I use to judge the difference between what is a lawn or a garden tractor. You won't touch anything in the Deere lineup with shaft drive near the price range of the CC 2500's, and if you can scrummage up another $700 on top of the 2542 you can get a 2550 with that 50" deck or for $400 more the 2544 with 44" deck. You can of course go to Sears and get a top end Craftsman or Husqvarna for $3k, but then in 4 or 5 years you are right back to where you are now with your Murray mowing over as many tractor parts as blades of grass. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The ZTR's are great for mowing, but with a real garden tractor like the CC 2500's you'll likely be tempted to do many more things if you want to add on later, a ZTR just mows. Whatever you do go to a dealer, avoid the box stores other than to just look. Dealer prices will be no different and with a reputable dealer you get no hassle service.

-Fordlords-

/ New mower help
Thanks for the reply’s so far. I will for sure take a closer look at the Cub line up. If it makes any difference, I have my additional needs besides mowing taken care of with one of the tractors and attachments.

MarkV

/ New mower help #6  
Fordlords and I are on the same wavelength....if you can pay a little extra...get the one with the horizontal shaft engine. On the Cubs...these have shaft drive on the hydro which eliminates one more drive belt and a better quality engine (in my opinion). If the object is not having to buy a new one every five years or so...a few extra dollars wisely spent now will make a lot of difference.