New/old Farmall Cub

/ New/old Farmall Cub #1  

Old Guy in Tenn

Silver Member
Tractor
LX4500 Yanmar 1948 Farmall Cub
We just received my late Father-in-Law's 1948 Farmall Cub from our nephew. FIL mechanically overhauled it long (50-ish years) ago, and used it often but lightly until he passed away 10 years ago. It has been used and ignored by various family members since then, sat outside most of that time, and was not started in the last 2 years. The nephew who last had it is going thru some big life changes, and called and asked us to pick it up.

My son and I brought it home, replaced a fuel gasket and a battery clamp, soaked and cleaned frozen carb linkages for a couple of hours, fired it up and took a spin around the neighborhood. This weekend we will replace fluids and start listing what we think it needs. The back tires are so rotten there are many places where you can poke the tube with a finger through the sidewall, and it has generally deteriorated from neglect.

We are still looking for a real tractor for our new life (soon) in Tennessee, but will enjoy freshening up Papaw's Cub and using it for some light chores.

/ New/old Farmall Cub #2  
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. My brother has had a '56 cub for many years. He still uses it with the sickle mower every year.

/ New/old Farmall Cub #3  
We use a Cub around the tree farm pulling a wagon... part work and part PR

Last Christmas it was in hundreds of Christmas pictures as it was a center of attention.

Attachments

• 1949 Farmall Cub with Wagon.jpg
    1949 Farmall Cub with Wagon.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 458
   / New/old Farmall Cub #4  
Good to get the Cub back in running condition! :thumbsup:

I just recently picked up a 61 Lo-Boy off CL, my first Cub: Tractors 2018 003.JPG

/ New/old Farmall Cub #5  
CONGRATS. :thumbsup:
Once you get Cub purring your going to find many uses,also great project for your son to lean.

/ New/old Farmall Cub #6  
My grandfather was a partner in an International Harvester dealership and I received a beautiful little plastic model of a Cub in the late 1940's or early 1950's. I wonder what happened to it.

I always loved the Cub though I never even drove one.

/ New/old Farmall Cub #7  
Where I grew up in Va. My granddad next door had a '49 Cub he bought new with lots of attachments. When I bought my place in 1980 I bought a '50 model Cub. They are really fantastic in my opinion what they can do for the size. 4 cyl. motor, 10hp. The only real trouble we had was the pto engagement mechanism.
As a kid I almost flipped the '49 over backwards, going uphill in 1st I wondered what would happen if I held in clutch, let it roll backwards and popped the clutch. It stood straight up...luckily decided to go forward. I was too scared to jump...a stupid kid.
That tractor got lots of use. I sold mine in mid 80s, Dad sold theirs shortly after.
So many memories...thanks!

/ New/old Farmall Cub #8  
Those tractors are so cool looking. I have been wanting one for a long time to lightly use and drive in all the local parades.

/ New/old Farmall Cub #9  
Those tractors are so cool looking. I have been wanting one for a long time to lightly use and drive in all the local parades.

They make a great parade tractor with a wagon in tow...

The one at the farm has electric start but we never have had a battery on it... it is part of the show cranking it up and it usually starts on the first pull to the delight of the spectators...

/ New/old Farmall Cub #10  
I used to haul my dump trailer full of gravel with a '48 cub to my back field to build a road - smoothing it with the plow on the front.

Check out youtube for uses.

Pulls a disk harrow and single plow easily. I also used my sickle bar mower to cut the goldenrod in the back field, and small bushes too. Even plowed snow!