New Pioneer 520 Arrived

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #111  
Good question! If the budget is tight I would do the tires first. Plus, tires are readily available and the shocks will take ~8-12 weeks last I heard. Both are a big improvement though
In addition to garguy7's suggestion, I'll add - The 27" tires correct the speedometer reading exactly.

I went from the 24" (read absurdly faster than actual) to 26". The 26" still reads somewhat faster than actual. Not a great deal but enough to be a problem when riding trails and depending on trail markers.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #112  
Sounds like you have a good plan.
Time flies and you will have it all soon enough.

BTW, I got $400 for my OEM tires/wheels and they sold pretty quickly-someone with a smaller ATV wanting to upgrade his ride. That might take some sting out of the project cost.

I kept mine for about a year thinking I might use them for some reason but I never needed them as the terribites were so much better. And tire repair kit takes up a lot less space than a spare tire.
That’s a good idea!
Which tire repair kit are you using?

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #113  
You can find a cheap kit (less than $10) on amazon or at Walmart.

I frequently travel where there is no one but me to fix a battery or tire issue so I keep a toolbox with essentials in it. I keep it in my Jeep most of the time but can easily move it to SXS when needed.

Others have different experiences, my experiences dictated what is in my box.

Hulkman alpha 85 battery starter (works on my diesel tractor, charges phone etc.
Tire inflator- plugs into aux. outlet
Tire repair kit (T handle, rubber glue, and plugs)
1/2 inch impact driver with all the sockets needed to fit my vehicles, trailers, and SXS
Scissors jack
1-quart oil
1-gallon anti-freeze
gloves
paper towels
zip ties
duct tape

I've seen group discussions on what to pack and it soon becomes apparent that you need a U-haul to pull behind your SXS. So you may want to consider what you might want to carry.
All of this fits into a Ridgid stackable toolbox (bottom with wheels). It still takes less room than a spare in the cargo area. Others have installed spare tire mounts and that is a great option. I needed other things that I could use for any vehicle so I didn't see the need to spend more to carry a spare.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #114  
^^^^
Thank you! I’m starting to get a list going on the items I wish to carry with me on our adventures. Once I get a good detailed list, I can tackle the challenge on where to put/store them.

Thus far, I always carry;

Water
Gloves
Microfiber towels
Zip tie
Duct tape
Tow strap

….that’s all, lol

I just purchased the GPS and a foldable saw (lots of fallen timber where I go). I need to start looking at tire repair and tools for emergency.

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #115  
We normally carry a paintball compressed air container and an adapter to fill tires. On my SxS I have an inflator in my rear box but have the bottle mounted on the cage. It will fully inflate a 32x10x15 tire VERY quickly, way way way faster than one of those little 12v pumps. I don't recall exactly what the pressure in the bottle is about, thinking around 3000psi - it costs around $5- 7 bucks to fill but is fairly small and super handy. If you are running smaller tires of course, you may get two complete tire fills with a bottle.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived
I carry along a battery chain saw, loppers, and tow strap. And sometimes a beverage. :)

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #117  
The 20v Dewalt is a GREAT SxS/UTV saw. It will cut a lot of wood on a 5AH battery and is fairly small.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #118  
I still haven't decided on wheels/tires but, I ordered the Walker Evans coilovers for my P520.

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #119  
The Honda SxS forum is dangerous. They’re giving me too many ideas, lol.
Today, I did the reverse lever modification and the seatbelt bypass. And, I installed my GPS bracket. It was a good day!

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #120  
I added my folding saw, fire extinguisher, RotoPax 2 gallon fuel container and Axia Alloys mounting brackets;

BA72B31D-CF35-455C-A538-1F0DB2ABCAFA.jpeg

E7342A26-19CD-4BA7-BA23-704EF76F80EF.jpeg

Mike