new ranger review?

ArlyA

Elite Member
Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Folks, we are picking up a new Ford ranger xlt today and wondering if anyone cares to hear our impressions of it? We are replacing a 2017 Tacoma.

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
Sure we would! Initial impressions as well as long term reviews are always helpful. Replacing a 2017 Tacoma, those are big shoes to fill.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Thanks, we'll do a review. We're be using it to tow our camper this weekend for its first outing... :) The Toyota was a let down. Shouldn't be hard, to be a step up!

Sure we would! Initial impressions as well as long term reviews are always helpful. Replacing a 2017 Tacoma, those are big shoes to fill.

BRMyers

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3560HSTC
I would like to hear a review. I'm still driving my 1999 Ford Ranger. Been a great little truck.

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
There are campers, and then there are C A M P E R S. Wide range of lengths and weights. What are you pulling, and how was the Toyota a letdown?

dalola

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380 w/FEL, Woods RM48, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Most of the reviews I've read, everyone loves the powertrain, but the chassis tuning is a mixed bag. Be curious to get your take. I should prolly just test drive one myself, to see first-hand...

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Toyota had "UPDATED" some things on it we could not appreciate. The 4wd button was the same size and right next to the fan control button. Which one did you just adjust? :confused3: Just above them was the emergency flasher button which would be turned on, as you reached for the the cab temp controls. Many of the interior control buttons were to small to be used with gloves on. The door mirrors moved to readily and every time you brushed snow off the truck, they moved. The cowling in front the the windshield was pushed down and a hole open between it the the windshield from scrapping snow off. Dealer did see this. What did I miss?? Oh yes, it was to hard to get in and out of low range. Here we use two set of wheels, one for winter with snows and another set with standard tires. We couldn't get the tire air pressure senors to work year around.

There are campers, and then there are C A M P E R S. Wide range of lengths and weights. What are you pulling, and how was the Toyota a letdown?

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
You'll like the 10 speed box, my BIL designed it, he's an engineer at Fords. Like he told me, it's a wonderful transmission until it breaks.:)

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
We test drove them twice and liked many feature better than what the taco has. We even attached our trailer to it and did serious hills at speed.

Most of the reviews I've read, everyone loves the powertrain, but the chassis tuning is a mixed bag. Be curious to get your take. I should prolly just test drive one myself, to see first-hand...

Attachments

• P1070376.jpg
    P1070376.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 396

ptsg

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson F36Rn
Would love to hear what your impressions are on the Ranger. I've been dreaming with one.

In Europe they offer a 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo with 170HP and the same 2.0L but Biturbo producing 213HP.

Since all we can tow is bumper pull trailers up to 7700 lbs, that's more than enough engine for that.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Guys, I should add. Yes the taco had some lame, annoying features, but the low HP it had was the real reason we had to get rid of it. After we had got it with its 145hp motor, we got 2 larger trailers we had not planned to get back then. That's not Toyota's fault.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Picked the blue beast up last night and will be heading out with camper in tow shortly for the weekend. So far so good. Dearest thought we should get the extend warranty with it.

Attachments

• P1070556.jpg
    P1070556.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 508
  • P1070558.jpg
    P1070558.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 366
  • P1070561.jpg
    P1070561.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 298
  • P1070560.jpg
    P1070560.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 370
  • P1070559.jpg
    P1070559.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 393

dalola

Platinum Member
Tractor
Nice! Congrat's! Please report back on your experiences as you live with it for a while.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Ya, I thought we needed to buy another ball mount but seems I can simply reverse the ball. Have BIG wrenches, can fix anything. :thumbsup:

Ummm yeah, you might want to flip your hitch over. The ball should go up!:D Nice looking truck.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Now a real test review with photos.

With each mile of basic driving with this new truck around town that we just picked up on Thursday, plus now after the weekend that included towing our silly camper down to a campground located 1.5 hours south of us. We have gotten to like the blue beast more and more. The roads we take heading south have speed limits of 55 and 65mph, which we might add a bit to :). Our complaints from the last truck we owned, it was short on power to operate at highway speeds and doing hills while towing this camper, was a major concern of ours. Yes, we really do have mountains in the upper peninsula of MI.

This machine had far more power than we needed, to do those speeds. The drive down there had been kind of stressful, when we dropped to less than 50 while climbing some stupid hill!. We could hear this truck was shifting gears, but darn little speed would be lost goi.g up these hills at 70mph. (10 speed auto transmission) This little motor really could. :thumbsup:

More: The cab has more storage and more user friendly than the Taco.

Controls setup is slightly better.

Visibility for the operator is slightly better.

Ride was slightly more harsh than our 2017 Taco.

What else?

Attachments

• P1070564.jpg
    P1070564.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 399
  • P1070565.jpg
    P1070565.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 453
  • P1070567.jpg
    P1070567.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 419
  • P1070568.jpg
    P1070568.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 374

BRMyers

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3560HSTC
Did your backseat co-pilots give you good directions?

Good looking animals.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Thanks BYMyers. There directions are always like "lets go for hikes and camping again!". :laughing:

I should add we are looking for a topper for this unit. One that's a tad taller than the trucks cab which allows for more utility. As of today, none of the manufacturers are building them but ARE will be shortly.

Last edited:

dalola

Platinum Member
Tractor
I'd also be curious to see your MPG numbers based on the variety of trips taken. Best, worst, average, etc.. Also make sure you verify the accuracy of the trip computer MPG, as most are pretty optimistic at the factory setting. My F150 has a way to adjust the accuracy, not sure if the Ranger has that. I've got mine now accurate to within .2-.4.

Also, as with all the EB engines, you'll see increased power & FE with premium fuel. I run 93 in my 2.7EB during the summer and when towing, and 87 in the winter. I also have four different aftermarket tunes to match the fuel & what I'm doing. The same is available for the Ranger if you're interested.

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8n, saving up for a new Kubota or Yanmar
That’s a cool camping trailer. What’s the story with that?

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Thank you for posting this. I too, would be interested in hearing about your fuel economy as well as how much you like the truck. One thing that I do like about them is that the small rear seat compartment is safer for dogs if you ever do get into an accident.
I've been running a 2004 for the last 4 years and find it ridiculous that the best mileage I can get is 17, the worst was about 14.5. It's getting old, the frame has lost a couple layers of steel; and probably after running it in the salt this winter it will be ready for the junk yard. I haven't decided what to replace it with, but won't buy anything which can't give me an honest 23 mpg... which is what both my '83 and '85 Rangers, as well as my '91 toyota brought down.

I bought a Ranger the first year they came out in 1983, and loved it until that night when I wrapped it around a guardrail. :(

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Thanks Guys. Just for you, I'll keep track of the mileage the next time we fill it. Not put fuel in it yet! :ashamed: But we have liked it more each day, and towing the camper down to that campground over the weekend with all that extra HP, was icing on da cake.. Stay tuned.......

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
We camp very simply and purchased a 6x6 that we occasionally like to bring with us while we're doing trail work. This will haul the 6x6 and we can still sleep in it. Of course it needs to be parked outside while we are setup to camp. Only enmities it has is a counter, little heater, windows and storage cabinets.

That’s a cool camping trailer. What’s the story with that?

Katahdin

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4500, Toro z420
I happened to rent one for a camping trip in July, it was not intentional, we just needed a bigger vehicle than my 2-Door 2004 Jeep TJ. A pickup truck was the cheapest rental option, and the 2019 Ranger is what the rental agency gave us.

All told we drove at least 450 miles, including maybe 30 miles of dirt roads.

we fit four adults, and camping gear for four nights, comfortably.

The ride was smooth and we had plenty of power for passing slower vehicles.

While I didn't scientifically measure the fuel consumption, I was impressed with the fuel range, the fuel gauge read 1/3 full after 250 miles, and we had been on sections of highway where it was legal to do 75mph.

All four of us on the trip came away really impressed with the Ranger.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I happened to rent one for a camping trip in July, it was not intentional, we just needed a bigger vehicle than my 2-Door 2004 Jeep TJ. A pickup truck was the cheapest rental option, and the 2019 Ranger is what the rental agency gave us.

All told we drove at least 450 miles, including maybe 30 miles of dirt roads.

we fit four adults, and camping gear for four nights, comfortably.

The ride was smooth and we had plenty of power for passing slower vehicles.

While I didn't scientifically measure the fuel consumption, I was impressed with the fuel range, the fuel gauge read 1/3 full after 250 miles, and we had been on sections of highway where it was legal to do 75mph.

All four of us on the trip came away really impressed with the Ranger.
Those same stretches of road are one reason that my 2004 gets 15 mpg. ;)

Kingsqueak

Bronze Member
Tractor
Husqvarna TS-354X Massey Ferguson 2607h
I test drove one and was close but it has some odd ergo issues (I'm 6'5") and the price was about what the Tundra TRD was that I finally got. The reliability risk for the cost was the biggest deal breaker. The interior was very nice, the size was really what I wanted (I don't fit in a Tacoma at all), the transmission was very nice on the Ranger too and the motor felt plenty powerful as a result of the trans.

I couldn't gamble on the reliability right now, but I hope they prove out well, I think Ford did a good job on them. If it had been all aluminum body (I'm in the Northeast where trucks come to rot) it might have pushed me over the line too.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
We modestly worried about these eco-boost engines as well but Ford has been producing them for quite a few years now (in other engines) and owners speak very highly of them. My spouse was still worried so we got the extended warranty. We tend to not get the 1st models off the line but Ford had been producing similar Rangers around the world so they never really went out of production.

I test drove one and was close but it has some odd ergo issues (I'm 6'5") and the price was about what the Tundra TRD was that I finally got. The reliability risk for the cost was the biggest deal breaker. The interior was very nice, the size was really what I wanted (I don't fit in a Tacoma at all), the transmission was very nice on the Ranger too and the motor felt plenty powerful as a result of the trans.

I couldn't gamble on the reliability right now, but I hope they prove out well, I think Ford did a good job on them. If it had been all aluminum body (I'm in the Northeast where trucks come to rot) it might have pushed me over the line too.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301

It's the frame more than the body which I worry about... although my 2015 Silverado has rust showing through the cab corners.
My 2004 came from Brunswick, down on the coast; I bought it 4 years ago. Although the frame was sprayed when it was new, the first winter I ran it a layer of steel flaked off, taking the undercoating with it. I parked it after deer season for the last 3 winters, except that they were salting the roads last November and it really did a number on my frame and exhaust system.

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Look forward to further reports. Our 1994 Ranger (voted MT truck of the year) was the worst of 4 pickups we've had, e.g. basically a Pinto engine with a wasted suspension because it rode like it had none. Mucho expense for tuneup. Really awful fuel mileage and actually worse on highway that to/from work.

Our 4th pickup, a 2005 Taco with 4 cylinder 5M, does not have much grunt. Basically a very good appliance. Toyota is good at making appliance vehicles that don't require much to keep them going but are rather unexciting to drive.

Ralph

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
If it had been all aluminum body (I'm in the Northeast where trucks come to rot) it might have pushed me over the line too.

How do the aluminum bodies stand up to salt? I know it doesn't rust per se, but the salt still corrodes it. Better or worse than steel?

I'm not really a big Ford guy, but I might consider one of the new Rangers down the road when my Dakota gives it up. The old ones seemed to stand up pretty well...them and Dakotas are about the only old less-than-full-size trucks you still see in any number.

zing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case IH 1390
It's the frame more than the body which I worry about... although my 2015 Silverado has rust showing through the cab corners.
My 2004 came from Brunswick, down on the coast; I bought it 4 years ago. Although the frame was sprayed when it was new, the first winter I ran it a layer of steel flaked off, taking the undercoating with it. I parked it after deer season for the last 3 winters, except that they were salting the roads last November and it really did a number on my frame and exhaust system.

A 2015 with rust perforation already and a layer of steel flaking off the frame after one winter? Plus you park it all winter? That is insane. I wouldn't expect your winters and roads in Maine to be that different from here in Nova Scotia, but my 2011 F250 is still mostly rust free. I undercoat it every fall, but other than that it runs pretty much every day year round. I have to wonder if there was something wrong with the manufacturing of that vehicle because that is pretty extreme failure in a very short period of time.

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
I own a 2017 F150 aluminum body. I follow a Ford truck forum and so far I haven't heard of any problems with the aluminum body panels. The only problem is they often tear instead of dent in an accident. I traded in a 2011 Chevy that was just starting to blow out over the rear wheels from rust. I was really disappointed since it was only about 5 or 6 years old and only had 50,000 miles on it. That's why I went Ford, for the aluminum body panels.

tjkubota93

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota bx1860
I have always been a chevy pickup fan. I own 2 now. A 2009 and a 1970.

I have been amazed with the ones I've seen the last few years that I assume are from up north. Seen alot of late model chevys and dodges driving around with rotten tailgates and rear wheel arches.

I'm just glad we dont have that problem around here!

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Back to the new ranger topic. We're getting to like this machine more and more each day. It drives more like a sports car, than the Taco we traded in for it. Its steering and road handling. I filled it up today and will track its mileage for you folks. This is really been a step up for us.

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
Are you driving it like a sports car? :D
That might skew your MPGs for a few tanks until you get that fun worked out of your system.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Just comparing its ride to the Taco, it much more like a car, than the truck its expected to be. It is indeed fun..

Are you driving it like a sports car? :D
That might skew your MPGs for a few tanks until you get that fun worked out of your system.

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
Just comparing its ride to the Taco, it much more like a car, than the truck its expected to be. It is indeed fun..

I ordered a supercab Ranger in silver STX with a few options, they just called and let me know it's in.. Heading there in AM.. Love my eco boost 3.5 in my SHO, it has been flawless and lots of fun to drive..

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Please write us a report, after you put some mileage on. We got the superC for the dogs and groceries, plus we do like the 6ft box.

I ordered a supercab Ranger in silver STX with a few options, they just called and let me know it's in.. Heading there in AM.. Love my eco boost 3.5 in my SHO, it has been flawless and lots of fun to drive..

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
Please write us a report, after you put some mileage on. We got the superC for the dogs and groceries, plus we do like the 6ft box.

I looked at the crew but the bed is to small for me..

dalola

Platinum Member
Tractor

Pix, or it never happened.....:cool:

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
I will takes pictures. I think they are a little conservative as far as looks go, I like the looks of the new Tacoma better but the Ford rides better and handles better, I also like the eco boost engines better than any other gasser.. Plus I have a local Ford dealer that has a fantastic service dept that I have been going to for years 10 miles away...

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
Has anyone seen the saber color on the 2019 Ranger Sport. Is it tend to be more orange or more brown? No dealer around here has one.
I looked at the Ridgeline, Colorado and the Ranger in one day and the Ranger impressed me most.
What kind of year end discounts are your dealers giving?

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Don, We got a couple of year-end discounts from Ford which totaled to about $1000. If you know anyone who happens to work for Ford, you might be able to get another $1000 off. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
Don, We got a couple of year-end discounts from Ford with came to $1000. If you know anyone who happens to work for Ford, you might be able to get another $1000 off. Hope that helps.

Yes, I'm just trying to decide on the 2019 year end discounts or get the 2020 and go through Costco. I'm thinking the year-end will save me the most money - just trying to figure it all out. No big hurry to sell my '08 F150.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
For people with mutts. We added a platform across the rear floor to give them a level platform to be on. More photos can be had on the dogs blog. here

Attachments

• P1070664.jpg
    P1070664.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited: