new ranger review?

/ new ranger review?
Thanks BYMyers. There directions are always like "lets go for hikes and camping again!". :laughing:

I should add we are looking for a topper for this unit. One that's a tad taller than the trucks cab which allows for more utility. As of today, none of the manufacturers are building them but ARE will be shortly.

Last edited:
   / new ranger review? #22  
Nothing wrong with directions like that. :thumbsup:

/ new ranger review? #23  
I'd also be curious to see your MPG numbers based on the variety of trips taken. Best, worst, average, etc.. Also make sure you verify the accuracy of the trip computer MPG, as most are pretty optimistic at the factory setting. My F150 has a way to adjust the accuracy, not sure if the Ranger has that. I've got mine now accurate to within .2-.4.

Also, as with all the EB engines, you'll see increased power & FE with premium fuel. I run 93 in my 2.7EB during the summer and when towing, and 87 in the winter. I also have four different aftermarket tunes to match the fuel & what I'm doing. The same is available for the Ranger if you're interested.

/ new ranger review? #24  
That’s a cool camping trailer. What’s the story with that?

/ new ranger review? #25  
Thank you for posting this. I too, would be interested in hearing about your fuel economy as well as how much you like the truck. One thing that I do like about them is that the small rear seat compartment is safer for dogs if you ever do get into an accident.
I've been running a 2004 for the last 4 years and find it ridiculous that the best mileage I can get is 17, the worst was about 14.5. It's getting old, the frame has lost a couple layers of steel; and probably after running it in the salt this winter it will be ready for the junk yard. I haven't decided what to replace it with, but won't buy anything which can't give me an honest 23 mpg... which is what both my '83 and '85 Rangers, as well as my '91 toyota brought down.

I bought a Ranger the first year they came out in 1983, and loved it until that night when I wrapped it around a guardrail. :(

/ new ranger review?
Thanks Guys. Just for you, I'll keep track of the mileage the next time we fill it. Not put fuel in it yet! :ashamed: But we have liked it more each day, and towing the camper down to that campground over the weekend with all that extra HP, was icing on da cake.. Stay tuned.......

/ new ranger review?
We camp very simply and purchased a 6x6 that we occasionally like to bring with us while we're doing trail work. This will haul the 6x6 and we can still sleep in it. Of course it needs to be parked outside while we are setup to camp. Only enmities it has is a counter, little heater, windows and storage cabinets.

That’s a cool camping trailer. What’s the story with that?

/ new ranger review? #28  
I happened to rent one for a camping trip in July, it was not intentional, we just needed a bigger vehicle than my 2-Door 2004 Jeep TJ. A pickup truck was the cheapest rental option, and the 2019 Ranger is what the rental agency gave us.

All told we drove at least 450 miles, including maybe 30 miles of dirt roads.

we fit four adults, and camping gear for four nights, comfortably.

The ride was smooth and we had plenty of power for passing slower vehicles.

While I didn't scientifically measure the fuel consumption, I was impressed with the fuel range, the fuel gauge read 1/3 full after 250 miles, and we had been on sections of highway where it was legal to do 75mph.

All four of us on the trip came away really impressed with the Ranger.

/ new ranger review? #29  
I happened to rent one for a camping trip in July, it was not intentional, we just needed a bigger vehicle than my 2-Door 2004 Jeep TJ. A pickup truck was the cheapest rental option, and the 2019 Ranger is what the rental agency gave us.

All told we drove at least 450 miles, including maybe 30 miles of dirt roads.

we fit four adults, and camping gear for four nights, comfortably.

The ride was smooth and we had plenty of power for passing slower vehicles.

While I didn't scientifically measure the fuel consumption, I was impressed with the fuel range, the fuel gauge read 1/3 full after 250 miles, and we had been on sections of highway where it was legal to do 75mph.

All four of us on the trip came away really impressed with the Ranger.
Those same stretches of road are one reason that my 2004 gets 15 mpg. ;)

/ new ranger review? #30  
I test drove one and was close but it has some odd ergo issues (I'm 6'5") and the price was about what the Tundra TRD was that I finally got. The reliability risk for the cost was the biggest deal breaker. The interior was very nice, the size was really what I wanted (I don't fit in a Tacoma at all), the transmission was very nice on the Ranger too and the motor felt plenty powerful as a result of the trans.

I couldn't gamble on the reliability right now, but I hope they prove out well, I think Ford did a good job on them. If it had been all aluminum body (I'm in the Northeast where trucks come to rot) it might have pushed me over the line too.