new ranger review?

/ new ranger review? #561  
And all of this took place in my driveway under fairly safe conditions. I can't imagine trying to do this procedure on the side of a rode.
Be thankful it happened while the truck was fairly new and the spare tire mechanism still worked smoothly, rather than 8 years from now when it's all rusted solid.

Same thing happened to me (on the side of a busy road) with the company truck ('08 turdra) I had at my last job. Had to dig out the owners manual just to find out where they'd hidden the jack, then I believe getting the spare down was an adventure equal to what you experienced. Again, glad the truck was fairly new when it happened, would have been exponentially more fun had the spare been rusted in place.

/ new ranger review?
Tool storage in the supercab is quite diffrent. We do have some supercab owners here correct??

/ new ranger review? #565  
The way the spare is stored/retrieved looks the same on the Ranger as has been on the Ford F150 for at least 10 years. I like the system. I do lower the spare and check air pressure before any long trips and at least once a year. I lube all the mechanisms at that time too, including the lock. One thing I learned many years ago is to review the tire change procedure on every new to me vehicle, right away. Not that I remember all the steps when I eventually need to find the jack etc, but it is somewhat familiar and makes things easier.

/ new ranger review? #566  
After I quit the complaining I actually thought getting the flat was a good thing. At least now I think I could change the tire in an emergency. Of course I would be a mess when I got back into the truck after lying on the ground but I think I could go on my way. The Ford engineers would still be getting a verbal ass whoopin for an hour but I could continue to my destination.

I am seriously considering an AAA membership. I've never had one as I have not had a tire or other issue on the roadside in over 40 years. But now may be the time.

/ new ranger review? #567  
After I quit the complaining I actually thought getting the flat was a good thing. At least now I think I could change the tire in an emergency. Of course I would be a mess when I got back into the truck after lying on the ground but I think I could go on my way. The Ford engineers would still be getting a verbal ass whoopin for an hour but I could continue to my destination.

I am seriously considering an AAA membership. I've never had one as I have not had a tire or other issue on the roadside in over 40 years. But now may be the time.
Putting the spare on the Ford Ranger is the same as the vehicle it replaced - a Ford F150. I always carried a small tarp behind the seat and I did have to put the spare on once while traveling. I have not checked, is the Ford Ranger's spare a regular tire like the F150 or one of those smaller tires that limit your speed?

Gone are the days when the spare is carried on the side next to the fender.

/ new ranger review?
Rangers at work. Got about 17mpg while traveling in the 60 to 70mph range yesterday. (y)
P1100333.jpg

Last edited:
   / new ranger review? #569  
On my trip this past weekend pulling an open 12' steel single axle utility trailer (unloaded) I was getting about 17.5 mpg. On the return trip with a garden tractor and snowthrower (1,000#) I got 16.9 mpg. Actually not too bad I thought.

I think I could have gotten a little better with the empty trailer but the rear end gate cannot be lowered flat. I wanted this feature when I went looking for a trailer last fall but like everything else, it was tough to find one. Even though the end gate has a mesh material to allow air to flow through they still act like a parachute in my opinion and I think it cost me at least one mpg.

/ new ranger review? #570  
~17 towing is not too shabby (y)