New Sound in Neutral

/ New Sound in Neutral #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
This morning I worked the Big RED Beast in the rain for an hour, then left it outside to "wash itself off". This afternoon after moving a culvert around, with the transmission in neutral it would make a ticking, scrapping sound. Like something was rubbing. It would quit when I put it in gear or put the shuttle reverser in neutral. I drove it over to the water hose and washed the remaining mud off. When I put it in gear, than back in neutral, the noise stopped. Any ideas what it could have been?
hugs, Brandi

/ New Sound in Neutral #2  
Not sure what it could be Brandi. I hate new noises. At least it wasn't followed by some sort of immediate failure. Like my Massey. My wallet is still hurting.

/ New Sound in Neutral #3  
Could it be the shifting forks in the tranny, maybe touching a moving gear. Maybe linkage needs a little adjustment. It would be a good place to start, if it happens again. Jim

/ New Sound in Neutral #4  
Brandi, my '02 6000 does the same thing after it warms up (in neutral only)...I think its a clutch pack vibration as it won't do it when its "hooked up" to the trans..try this: if/when it does this again, put on the PTO and see if the sound changes/goes away...I'm betting that it may..as I think the PTO clutch may have a slight vib in it. BobG in VA

/ New Sound in Neutral
Brandi, my '02 6000 does the same thing after it warms up (in neutral only)...I think its a clutch pack vibration as it won't do it when its "hooked up" to the trans..try this: if/when it does this again, put on the PTO and see if the sound changes/goes away...I'm betting that it may..as I think the PTO clutch may have a slight vib in it. BobG in VA

Bob,
That makes sense to me, however the 20 series has an Independent PTO Clutch. I have a IPTO clutch lever (handle) I disengage to put the PTO lever in the on position, then I engage the Clutch lever. If I don't do this right, I have a Beeper telling me it is not configured correctly. I will try it next time anyway. Thanks.
hugs, Brandi

/ New Sound in Neutral
Not sure what it could be Brandi. I hate new noises. At least it wasn't followed by some sort of immediate failure. Like my Massey. My wallet is still hurting.

Ed,
As a mechanic, I listen hard to all noises, old and new. Old noises for any change. New noises are very worry some, while trying to isolate what it could be. Thank the Lord it went away. With over 700 hours now on the BRB, I feel I am really lucky to have such a good tractor. Worse thing to date was the fan belt pulley coming apart on front of the hydraulic pump while digging my first pond. I keep thinking about that as I was down in my new pond basin digging last weekend.
Refresh my memory.........what happened to your new (to you) MF?
hugs, Brandi

/ New Sound in Neutral
Could it be the shifting forks in the tranny, maybe touching a moving gear. Maybe linkage needs a little adjustment. It would be a good place to start, if it happens again. Jim
Jim,
That could be. I am not sure how the innards of my tractor go together, unlike a jet engine.
hugs, Brandi

/ New Sound in Neutral #8  
Ed,
As a mechanic, I listen hard to all noises, old and new. Old noises for any change. New noises are very worry some, while trying to isolate what it could be. Thank the Lord it went away. With over 700 hours now on the BRB, I feel I am really lucky to have such a good tractor. Worse thing to date was the fan belt pulley coming apart on front of the hydraulic pump while digging my first pond. I keep thinking about that as I was down in my new pond basin digging last weekend.
Refresh my memory.........what happened to your new (to you) MF?
hugs, Brandi

Lost the PTO coupler. It's attached to the flywheel. Only way to replace it is to split the tractor. I guess after 40 years and 7285 hours something is allowed to fail every once in a while.

https://picasaweb.google.com/civesnedfield/Split20120629?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKKCqJquiL7jtgE&feat=directlink

Just got it back together on Monday. Not a cheap fix by any means.
Replaced the clutch too while it was opened up.

/ New Sound in Neutral
Lost the PTO coupler. It's attached to the flywheel. Only way to replace it is to split the tractor. I guess after 40 years and 7285 hours something is allowed to fail every once in a while.

https://picasaweb.google.com/civesnedfield/Split20120629?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKKCqJquiL7jtgE&feat=directlink

Just got it back together on Monday. Not a cheap fix by any means.
Replaced the clutch too while it was opened up.

Ed,
Ouch that hurts just looking at it. How much did this cost? How long did it take?
hugs, Brandi

/ New Sound in Neutral #10  
Ed,
Ouch that hurts just looking at it. How much did this cost? How long did it take?
hugs, Brandi
The mechanic had somewhere between 9 and 10 hours to split and 9 and 10 hours to reassemble. We replaced the coupler the PTO input shaft and the clutch discs, also needed two new gaskets. Parts total $1050.81 and labor $800.00. The machine has been down for roughly three weeks though. When I first called the mechanic and told him I had gotten it to the barn he had hay of his own down so I had to wait till he was done. Parts took better part of a week to get.