New TC owner with questions about security code and winter fuel.

/ New TC owner with questions about security code and winter fuel. #1  

BisonTC

Tractor
2020 Bobcat Toolcat 5600
Hello TBN. I have been reading posts for the past few weeks and yesterday I took delivery of a new 2020 Toolcat 5600. The TC has all the options that are available for it. I am using it for personal use on my property. Today we had about 4 inches of snow. I have ordered the SB240 72 inch Bobcat snowblower and the 68 inch Bobcat angle broom but neither one are here yet. My 12 year-old son and I used the bucket for snow removal today and had a fantastic time. It wasn稚 the fastest we致e moved snow but we had a blast. What an amazing machine! We ended up doing a number of other projects just because we were having so much fun. Great father and son time. Previously I owned a John Deere subcompact tractor for the past 10 years. It was a nice machine but the ability to sit two people side by side in the TC is a game changer for us.

First question, how do I program a security code to start the machine? Nothing is programmed right now and I didn遞 see how to do it in the operations manual. I would like a code to be programmed if I leave it sit outside.

Second question, what is best for diesel fuel for winter? Just use normal winter diesel (diesel #1) or do you recommended to use additives as well? If recommend using additives, which one is best? I will primarily keep the TC in a heated garage but it may sit outside periodically. Our temps can get to -40 F once in a great while. Temps down to -20 F at night are common in our winter.

Thank you for your help.

/ New TC owner with questions about security code and winter fuel. #2  
Security code set-up...go to "system setup and analysis" section in the manual and go to "control panel setup". You can see you can setup many parameters including the security code. To change codes, the control panel must first be in Locked Mode! Call your dealer and they will help you with the first code. It helps to write down in your own words the process to do the programming as following the manual is sometimes difficult.

/ New TC owner with questions about security code and winter fuel. #3  
Fuel....if you put summer diesel in a jar and put it in a freezer, you will see how much it changes. I treated summer fuel and it didn't help as much as I wanted. I then tested winter grade (after about Nov 1st) and it was much better. At minus 20-40, I would run winter fuel and I would treat it per bottle instructions. This year, I'm running the tank low until the local fuel starts being switched to the winter blend.

/ New TC owner with questions about security code and winter fuel. #4  
In "control panel setup", you can set the parameters on the 2-speed, high flow, HP management, and tire size. Again, it doesn't hurt to make your own notes.

/ New TC owner with questions about security code and winter fuel. #5  
I would run #2 with additives and keep a couple of cans of treated #1 around. If you know you're going to leave it outside in -40F throw in the #1 run it until all the fuel is mixed, then plug in your block heater an hour or 2 before you're going to use it.

DEWFPO

/ New TC owner with questions about security code and winter fuel. #6  
I would run #2 with additives and keep a couple of cans of treated #1 around. If you know you're going to leave it outside in -40F throw in the #1 run it until all the fuel is mixed, then plug in your block heater an hour or 2 before you're going to use it.

DEWFPO

Good point about the block heater. The new toolcats have a Doosan engine that uses a "dry pocket" block heater. That means you don't have to mess with the coolant or freeze plugs and is a easy DIY job. It is well worth having in cold weather.

block heater 001_1.JPG

/ New TC owner with questions about security code and winter fuel. #7  
Fuel....if you put summer diesel in a jar and put it in a freezer, you will see how much it changes...

How long does it take to see changes?

I've been worried bout my treated summer fuel as I have more than 15 gallons of the stuff. I added Power Service winterizer. I put some in a mason jar an put it in my freezer, 0f (-18c) and didn't see anything that I would call clouding or a change is viscosity. But it was a limited test, 3 hours, if my wife came home and found diesel in her freezer she'd string me up. If it needs more time I'll do a more extended test next week.

/ New TC owner with questions about security code and winter fuel. #8  
Leave it in for a day.

/ New TC owner with questions about security code and winter fuel.
Ruffdog,

Thanks, I will get the code from the dealer this week. It has been frustrating me but I see now I need a code that I don't have to do what I want.

/ New TC owner with questions about security code and winter fuel.
DEWFPO,

Thanks for the info. I would just like to clarify. If I run winter diesel in the toolcat, do you recommend that I also put in fuel additives such as Power Service Winterizer, or only use the additives if I have summer diesel in it? If you do recommend an additive with the winter diesel, which one do you recommend?
Thanks again!