new to me PTO generator

/ new to me PTO generator #1  

Car Doc

Elite Member
Tractor
YM3810D Yanmar
This is the latest project- I bought a used Winco 25k 540 rpm PTO gen from a electrical contractor buddy. Actually we are trading work for it so it will be fairly easy on my pocket with most of my tickets being half labor roughly. :thumbsup:

Its functional and the trailer tires hold air and so far only needed 1 u joint fixed and the 100 amp cord end re-done the wiring there was rotted and cracked so I just peeled 8" of insulation off to get to like new wiring to strip and connect.

The trailer has way to much tongue weight its not much fun to hook up as is. Looks like I can move the gen back 10-12" and still have enough drive shaft so thats my plan. He plans on putting in a box out at the service entrance soon for me and I will be all set. :thumbsup:

(right now I can unplug one of the lifts and back feed the shop thru that pigtail I have the breakers that I really need on that leg in the box, I have a gas powered generator that wont run the whole shop now I plugged in that way)

I have been saying this on here for some time but my hope has been that once I got one I could run it in a higher PTO gear like 2nd or 3rd so I can run the engine at an idle or a bit higher to save fuel and be quieter and easier on the tractor.

For my first test I plugged my big mig into it and ran a long 250 amp bead and in 3rd PTO gear @ 1200 rpm. I could tell the welder and the tractor were not liking that so put it in 2nd at 2000 rpm and that worked perfect kept the voltage within the green so I kind of know the load and speeds will probably work like I hoped.

I highly doubt any load I could put on it other than the big welder will necessitate me running the tractor in 2nd gear but time will tell? My lifts are 24 amp surge roughly and 8-10 amps run so thats the biggest 220v loads I will see so I should be able to run the whole shop in 3rd gear @ 1200 rpm at least I have my hopes. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• PTO Generator 008 (1024x768).jpg
    PTO Generator 008 (1024x768).jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 293
  • PTO Generator 003 (1024x768).jpg
    PTO Generator 003 (1024x768).jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 245
  • PTO Generator 004 (1024x768).jpg
    PTO Generator 004 (1024x768).jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 261
  • PTO Generator 009 (1024x768).jpg
    PTO Generator 009 (1024x768).jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 271
   / new to me PTO generator #2  
:drool::drool::drool::drool: I'm a mite bit jealous. Nice looking rig.

/ new to me PTO generator
Thanks winston every now and then a good deal comes along not often enough though!

/ new to me PTO generator #4  
Wow, I'm envious of your genset. That's really nice. And 25kW! I've got a 10kW head I've been puttering with in down time, getting ready to make a PTO generator.

I had planned on building mine on a 3-point "pallet" with space for fuel jugs, extension cords, and the like, but I almost am convinced a trailer would be better, just looking at your setup.

/ new to me PTO generator #5  
Envious here too! :)

Instead of moving the generator back and letting the driveshaft spline slide out farther - could you move the trailer axle forward?

/ new to me PTO generator #6  
Car Doc,

Nice deal!! I have a pto driven alternator/generator setup....but only 5000.....

One thing I think I noticed in the picture is the angle on the shaft from the pto to the generator.....no expert.....but when I was starting out asking questions about mine......someone in the group made the comment the shaft needed to be as straight and level as possible.......may not be an issue ....but wanted to mention it.....I am sure others will chime in with better info.....

If you search the attachment threads you can see my 3pt pto and the trailer that was built for it....I am not particularly happy with how exposed the drive shaft is on mine and have been looking at possible ways to shield it.....I plan on making a cover to protect it from the environments.

Good luck! Look forward to see how you proceed with it.

/ new to me PTO generator #7  
Car Doc,

Nice deal!! I have a pto driven alternator/generator setup....but only 5000.....

One thing I think I noticed in the picture is the angle on the shaft from the pto to the generator.....no expert.....but when I was starting out asking questions about mine......someone in the group made the comment the shaft needed to be as straight and level as possible.......may not be an issue ....but wanted to mention it.....I am sure others will chime in with better info.....

If you search the attachment threads you can see my 3pt pto and the trailer that was built for it....I am not particularly happy with how exposed the drive shaft is on mine and have been looking at possible ways to shield it.....I plan on making a cover to protect it from the environments.

Sacsr, I tried finding your thread, guess I need help. Wanted to look at your generator.

Envious here too! :)

Instead of moving the generator back and letting the driveshaft spline slide out farther - could you move the trailer axle forward?

I thought about that too and at this point I'm not sure? Time will tell but yeah thats an idea thanks California! :thumbsup: (actually even pondered counter weight at rear to save effort like a pipe bumper....)

I haven't looked under it to see for sure but it looks like its welded solid from on top? I will post back once I do something.

This was a farm welded project (looks like it anyway) its not terrible bad but its crude and functional like it needs to be and not pretty. :laughing:

Car Doc,

Thanks Scott,

You have a point the drive shaft angle is a concern in that the height of the 3 pt can interfere if raised up too high. I noticed that when I unhitched it so if I go over a large enough dip on the property I will have to keep it in mind for sure!

Since you were told something I will add this-Actually technically speaking u-joints need to run at a slight angle in order for the needle bearings to rotate to lube and spread the load in the joint.

Now with that said I believe 1.5 to 5 degrees is the target angle but as long as there is some the joint can do what its designed to do. :thumbsup:

Wow, I'm envious of your genset. That's really nice. And 25kW! I've got a 10kW head I've been puttering with in down time, getting ready to make a PTO generator.

I had planned on building mine on a 3-point "pallet" with space for fuel jugs, extension cords, and the like, but I almost am convinced a trailer would be better, just looking at your setup.

Thanks 284,

Did you notice I used a draw bar to hook into the clevis pin hitch on the trailer?

I did this because it was handy I was in a hurry and I wanted to move the gen from the shed into the shop and after I did it I realized it makes perfect sense once I stepped back and looked at it and I dont plan on changing that. :thumbsup:

Here is why-I can pull it with a pickup using the clevis and pin setup or I can put the draw bar on for the tractor with a hitch pin. Rather than making a permanent 3pt attachment on it somehow this way I dont have to do anything and it really pulls and backs up nice being back that far etc! :thumbsup:

One other thing that I/we all can do now with a PTO gen is weld fences and gates and stuff out and about our property or anywhere just throw on the cracker box and go. I for one used to have to call someone with a portable welder to do work like that now I can just dream something up and get after it no planning or working around someone else's schedule. ;)

Last edited: