new to me PTO generator

/ new to me PTO generator #11  
[axle] looks like its welded solid from on top?

This was a farm welded project (looks like it anyway) its not terrible bad but its crude and functional like it needs to be and not pretty. :laughing:
I've never posted a photo of my farm welds... :D

I have a couple more thoughts. First, if that trailer is clumsy to move around and the driveshaft angle is too extreme, what about putting the generator on a little Harbor Freight 40x48 trailer. (under $200). At 125 lbs empty, those are as easy to move around as a garden cart. I like mine so well that I just bought another (used, $30) to mount a watering tank on. These seem like the perfect size to mount things on.

Second, is there a need to brace that trailer against the pto's torque? I see strange fittings on the front of your trailer and wonder if those were for torque-resisting feet. Maybe a calculation of ft-lbs would reveal if there is enough torque to lift the trailer.

/ new to me PTO generator
I've never posted a photo of my farm welds... :D

I have a couple more thoughts. First, if that trailer is clumsy to move around and the driveshaft angle is too extreme, what about putting the generator on a little Harbor Freight 40x48 trailer. (under $200). At 125 lbs empty, those are as easy to move around as a garden cart. I like mine so well that I just bought another (used, $30) to mount a watering tank on. These seem like the perfect size to mount things on.

Second, is there a need to brace that trailer against the pto's torque? I see strange fittings on the front of your trailer and wonder if those were for torque-resisting feet. Maybe a calculation of ft-lbs would reveal if there is enough torque to lift the trailer.

If I do need a stick welder for something I will post some of mine...a person gets spoiled once they go to mig. :)

I think the drive shaft angle is actually almost ideal on a flat surface when its set right with the draft control and my ground is pretty level, its a lot better than my mower for instance.

A new trailer may not be necessary I am trying to make this as much a no-work project as I can but that is a good idea if I do need one! :D :laughing:

I dont know what the welded on elbow on the corner etc is anybody's guess there haha. This thing could have come out of the oil field originally for all I know that could have been for a vice stand etc but the piece of pipe on the left side of the tongue was their attempt at a tongue stand.

It had a nut welded on (1/2 broken loose now) that had (I assume) a bolt to be tightened on a shaft with a pad welded on the bottom for a foot. Its laying on the front there, just a solid shaft with a piece of a blade of some kind welded as a pad I didn't reuse it. :confused2:

I built a simple pipe with a foot and put it in there with a long bolt and nut and a couple extra holes to hold it up out of the way so I dont need any wrenches to use the tongue stand doing it my way now.

As far as the reactive torque...never once crossed my mind to tell the truth. I am not an engineer but my gut tells me this setup is real heavy and I dont doubt if it locked up there could be trouble but as is and just making juice I doubt it will do much reacting but time will tell thats an interesting thought?

/ new to me PTO generator #13  
I did see that design. I like it; if you set the trailer stand up correctly, you could make it so the stand held the trailer a little lower than transport position, then you could back the drawbar up, raise/lower for alignment, back up, then pin it. No strained backs or anything like that. Alternatively, I mounted one of these onto a small utility trailer. It's nice because once the trailer is on the ball, the pin comes out and everything rotates out of the way quickly. Consequently, one doesn't need to spin the jack endlessly to gain clearance.

It looks like the trailer would be well balanced if it had a welder mounted at the rear. I wonder if that was the original design.

I'm still mulling my options for mine. It's not going to be even half the size of yours, but a wheeled apparatus still has some appeal. I may even end up with a combination of things, with castered tires on one end but a three point apparatus as well.

/ new to me PTO generator

Thanks for the ideas! Here is a pic of my super simple tongue stand there is a hole down low under the cross brace that the bolt goes in once the tractor has the weight off that keeps the stand off the ground and I dont have to man handle it.

Now with that said the fact the stand is up in the arc of the drive shaft on turns as long as its attached I do need to be mindful of it being up on that one side when turning left no biggie though for now.

(there is a pic of how the axle is welded to the frame also its not going to be impossible to relocate it just have to flip the whole trailer over on its back if I decide to spend the time we will see about that...)

A swing away jack would be real nice and I will probably do it later even thought about going to town for one this time but with the amount of time I allowed myself I went the short cut route. :D

edit: I had this post printed and my alignment shop guy showed up with a customers car so I had to post this quick and take him back to town so sorry thats why the pics didn't show up till now.

Attachments

• Gen axle 001 (1024x768).jpg
    Gen axle 001 (1024x768).jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Gen axle 007 (1024x768).jpg
    Gen axle 007 (1024x768).jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited: