New (to me) Steiner 420

/ New (to me) Steiner 420 #1  

Daves_Farm

Tractor
John Deere 4410
I just picked up a new to me Steiner 420 with the Kubota gas engine and a 60 mower deck. So far it has done good cutting the grass which was sitting about three feet tall in areas. Anything you experts think I should check out on it before I put too many hours on it? Runs well, appears to be in good shape, has a small leak on the right rear axle seal that I need to watch.

Attachments

• 6A3C82A7-AD7B-4BA5-B4E5-B63973450E30.jpeg
    6A3C82A7-AD7B-4BA5-B4E5-B63973450E30.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 397
   / New (to me) Steiner 420 #2  
Man, those things are really great for mowing on side hills, steep banks, and even more amazingly, the ceiling!! ;) :laughing:

/ New (to me) Steiner 420
Ugh, I hate using pictures from my phone. Dumb thing throws pictures whatever way it wants.

/ New (to me) Steiner 420 #4  
But it is wheels down when opened in a new tab: :thumbsup:

6A3C82A7-AD7B-4BA5-B4E5-B63973450E30.jpeg

/ New (to me) Steiner 420 #5  
Someone once said something about Steiners being like a Harley (Bike, not Rake) although come to think of it, it's the same too. If there isn't some kind of puddle under it, it is out of oil.

I don't think you said how many hours were on it. That Kubota is a really nice high quality sweet and smooth running motor. Actually much nicer than the diesel. I had one for a while.

I would probably change the hydraulic fluid and get a new filter. It's a pain, but not as much as repairs.

/ New (to me) Steiner 420 #6  
I would see if there is any play in the rear axle where it is seeping, if not I would replace both seals on the axles and change the oil when you were done... jim

/ New (to me) Steiner 420 #7  
Two years later how do you like it? Looks new like.