New (to me) Tundra

/ New (to me) Tundra #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
Tomorrow we trade the Prius for a 2017 Tundra SR5 Double Cab. 6 1/2 foot bed. 5.7l V8. Our mileage will drop from 65 to 15. (haha). Once we get moved in, the truck will rarely go more than a few miles. The truck is step one...next will be the trailer.

/ New (to me) Tundra #2  
sounds like an adventure. maybe explain reason for the transition, & what your equip/ project ambitions are
regards

/ New (to me) Tundra #3  
Tomorrow we trade the Prius for a 2017 Tundra SR5 Double Cab. 6 1/2 foot bed. 5.7l V8. Our mileage will drop from 65 to 15. (haha). Once we get moved in, the truck will rarely go more than a few miles. The truck is step one...next will be the trailer.
I'm thinking you will notice a difference in testosterone levels going from a Prius to a Tundra, LOL.

/ New (to me) Tundra #4  
Cannot go wrong with a Tundra, if I ever need another truck it WILL BE another Tundra. For the record I get 18 mpg on local trip consistently and on trips have gotten up to 23 mpg. Got a solid 14 towing the travel trailer coast to coast and all places in between. YES I do baby it to get those numbers.

/ New (to me) Tundra
sounds like an adventure. maybe explain reason for the transition, & what your equip/ project ambitions are
regards
Fair enough. I tend to think most don't want to hear it again. :)

We currently live in the suburbs of DFW where the Prius Prime saves on gas. Our final house is under construction on our acreage in rural NE Texas (7 miles from a town). The truck will be primarily a farm vehicle. Duties will include, but are not limited to, runs to stores to get supplies; towing utility trailer on and off the property; pickup and delivery of implements or rental equipment as needed; and hauling dogs to the vet as needed.

The property is mostly pine plantation. We will slowly transition some of it to a few 'Christmas' trees and provide fruit, nuts, herbs and other botanicals for our use and sale or donation of excess. Wife wants chickens and will try to get a beekeeper to put hives near the fruit trees.

This is our retirement. No need to earn, but we will market a few items if we can.

/ New (to me) Tundra #6  
i'm enjoying the retirement adventure as well. so will the Tundra be the only vehicle? my '92 Toyota 4x4 (earlier to Tundra or Tacoma) has 302k original. keep the adventure going, the 1st several yrs of my retirement were prob the most productive ever. enjoy

/ New (to me) Tundra #7  
I have a 2017 Tundra. Bought new, great, trouble free truck. Have no use for small hybrids or EV out in the sticks. All of my trips usually end up hauling stuff, feed, hay, wharever.

/ New (to me) Tundra #8  
Had one for a company truck at my last job. Was the biggest POS that ever darkened my driveway. Seemed like it was always in the shop for something. I was the new guy so I got the truck no one else wanted.

/ New (to me) Tundra
i'm enjoying the retirement adventure as well. so will the Tundra be the only vehicle? my '92 Toyota 4x4 (earlier to Tundra or Tacoma) has 302k original. keep the adventure going, the 1st several yrs of my retirement were prob the most productive ever. enjoy
No, we have a 2018 Outback for a 'daily' driver and an old Matrix my youngest will take to Tech next year. In the meantime, I will drive the Matrix to work the rest of this semester. It is a basic model with a manual transmission, so fun to drive...if a bit austere by today's standards.

Just got home with the truck. I'll add pictures later. The previous owners apparently pulled a 5th wheel with it, so if we ever decide we need something like that, it has the hitch and the plug in the bed. I doubt I will need it, but it is there. Also has the bed extender. Again, not sure if I will ever use it, but for us it is more likely than the 5th wheel.

I was pretty happy with the way it ran on the way home. The dealership was about 1.5 hours away, so we got some time on the highway with it. The engine was very smooth and much quieter than we expected. The driving position is very good for me. Our old Ranger gave less visibility at half the size. The front came with a cavernous box rather than the fold down 'bench' seat option. I can see usefulness either way. We would have liked to get the TRD off road edition, but the couple that we saw for sale around here were northern transplants.

@Oaktree Sorry you had trouble with your work truck. There are a lot of things people say about the Tundra, but POS is rarely one of them. It has a much better reliability record than its peers and it may lack some of the modern refinements and it has bad gas mileage, but it seems like it will do the trick for us. Every model has bad individuals, but the odds are in our favor. We looked at a 2005 in Tyler, but it was severely rusted. The truck had been in VT and NY prior. We usually don't even look at a vehicle from up that way. It confirmed our suspicions.

/ New (to me) Tundra #10  
I would reccomend a flat bed for it. I wouldn't go without my cm bed. Anytime I pick stuff up, i get it palletized and unload with the tractor.