Oil & Fuel New to me YM2500

/ New to me YM2500 #1  

Brokeodie

Tractor
Yanmar ym2500
Hello everyone,

Glad I came across this site as there is Soo much valuable information. I recently purchased a YM2500 that has been sitting outside and not started in almost two years. This being said I'm having it winched on a trailer and brought to my house as i figured it would be best to change the fluids before starting. Am i being over cautious? What all should I change or check before attempting to start it? I did read that they are known to have water trickle down levers and what not so want to avoid damaging anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

/ New to me YM2500 #2  
Welcome!

My YM240 had a similar history when I bought it. My only advice is be sure to use the compression release every time you crank it, so if there is water or something in a cylinder, you don't bend a rod. Aside from that, just the obvious cleanup, fluids replaced, maybe buy a battery.

Parked 2 years didn't hurt it. For me I would be impatient and drive it around a little before doing the 'annual service' it needs.

Normal starting procedure is get it spinning with compression released to get some oil pressure then drop the release lever, the inertia of the flywheel will assist the starter.

/ New to me YM2500
Welcome!

My YM240 had a similar history when I bought it. My only advice is be sure to use the compression release every time you crank it, so if there is water or something in a cylinder, you don't bend a rod. Aside from that, just the obvious cleanup, fluids replaced, maybe buy a battery.

Parked 2 years didn't hurt it. For me I would be impatient and drive it around a little before doing the 'annual service' it needs.

Normal starting procedure is get it spinning with compression released to get some oil pressure then drop the release lever, the inertia of the flywheel will assist the starter.
Thank you so much for that info. Is there any particular engine oil you find works better? Also what do you use in the transmission?

/ New to me YM2500 #4  
Thank you so much for that info. Is there any particular engine oil you find works better? Also what do you use in the transmission?

For motor oil, any diesel rated oil. Match the viscosity to your ambient air temps. There will forever be the ongoing arguments over 15w40, 10w30 and other weights of oil, as well as the debates over full synthetic vs semi synthetic vs non synthetic. Personally, I believe a good quality oil based on tract record by brand in a diesel rated oil changed regularly is the route to go and your choice on the rest of the debates.
For hydraulic/transmission fluid the newest standard is j20c.
After sitting for 2 years, I would change both of these and clean the hydraulic screen and replace filters.
Also drain fuel, change fuel filter, and bleed the fuel system.
If 4x4 change front diff fluid watching for 3 drain plugs, 1 at each wheel and 1 at the pumpkin. Most call for 90w gear oil.
Hoye tractor and Fredrick’s are both good resources for parts and info.

/ New to me YM2500 #5  
Buying a tractor with unknown history I think its important to clean the hydraulic 'strainer' (mesh) and I think you have a screw-on hydraulic filter too, that should be replaced. Get the right filter for that, designed for hydraulics, not for motor oil.

I would also put in a new fuel filter. After you have done this I don't see a need to replace the fuel filter for years. We don't have the contaminants in fuel that might be encountered in some parts of the world. YM240 Owner Manual says replace the fuel filter more frequently if fuel generally has more than a tablespoon of debris or water per fill up! I can't imagine fuel like that. Maybe stuff from 50 gallon drums in the outback or rural Alaska.

If you're reasonably sure this tractor was in use before that 2 years parked, then I don't think it needs 'major restoration' - fuel flush etc. Just check that all fluid levels are ok, start and enjoy it. Do 'annual maintenance' - replace coolant, lubricants - etc soon only so you have a known starting date for your periodic maintenance.

/ New to me YM2500 #6  

Per Yanmar
yanmar-oils.png

Your YM2500 painted JD green would be a john Deere 850. So, the same oil info is listed here

Yanmar-oils JD spec manual.png

Hydraulic fluid is Yanmar TF500A, hard to locate around the county, yet John Deere J20C and brands that are 'equivalent' would work, not compatible.
J20C--J20D--Hy-Gard-Compact Tractors.jpg

TF500A=J20C.JPG

/ New to me YM2500 #7  
I recently purchased a YM2500 that has been sitting outside and not started in almost two years.
Before starting, first verify IF any water had gotten into the engine via the exhaust pipe. Water damage like this can lock up the internals of the engine in rust. Should you try to start the engine, so much damage can be had.

So, 1st and foremost, verify the exhaust side of the engine inside is not rusty.

/ New to me YM2500
Thank you everyone for your assistance, so i did check the tractor and was able to turn it over replaced fluids and changed out Fuel lines as well as bleeding the fuel system. So the tractor turns over but it's not wanting to start. I'm not sure if there is enough fuel coming out of the ports. Looked for videos or information on how much fuel is supposed to come out. Ordered injector puller to see spray pattern and verify. If this is good i guess compression test is next? Fyi this is my first diesel to try and fix.

Thank you

/ New to me YM2500 #9  
Thank you everyone for your assistance, so i did check the tractor and was able to turn it over replaced fluids and changed out Fuel lines as well as bleeding the fuel system. So the tractor turns over but it's not wanting to start. I'm not sure if there is enough fuel coming out of the ports. Looked for videos or information on how much fuel is supposed to come out. Ordered injector puller to see spray pattern and verify. If this is good i guess compression test is next? Fyi this is my first diesel to try and fix.

Thank you
Two quick questions;
1) Do you have a decompression lever? (And are you turning it off once the engine is spinning?)
2) Is fuel coming out of the fuel fitting at every injector?

All the best,

Peter

/ New to me YM2500
Update:
So tonight the tractor started up after turning it over for a bit but turns off as if It has no fuel. Thinking it's the pump and will be sending it off to get looked at.

Will keep you posted.

Last edited: