New to Yanmar tractors and need some assistance

/ New to Yanmar tractors and need some assistance #1  

Helpin Out

Tractor
Yahmar 195
Hello,

My son in law bought a Yanmar D195 tractor to cut his fields at the property they purchased recently. The tractor does not look like it was taken care of and has a number of fairly crude repairs to levers and generally throughout. The tractor electrical system is really non-existent apart from the battery, starter and a button. Never the less, it does start and drive. I have ordered new filters and will get those replaced when they arrive (probably this week)
The biggest problem is the hydraulic lift does not work. I don't actually know where to check the fluid...noting is apparent like a dip stick. There is a lever on the right side that pushes in a piston, which I assume if working would lift the hitch. Nothing happens when operating this lever but I don't know is something else needs to be done before the piston is depressed.
We will order and manual soon but until then thought I'd see if there was something I am doing wrong or if it's broken.

Pictures attached...

You can probably ascertain that I have no experience with tractors and lifts! I work on cars a good bit but am unfamiliar with tractors!
Thanks much for any replies.

Attachments

• Pix Right.jpg
    Pix Right.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 133
  • Pix Left.jpg
    Pix Left.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 137
  • Tractor.jpg
    Tractor.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 133
   / New to Yanmar tractors and need some assistance #3  
You might try topping up the fluid just to see if that makes the lift work. Anything you have roughly similar to 20 wt oil is compatible, but not suitable for actually working the tractor. Better, as Winston said, the first thing to do on a neglected tractor is replace the 'UTF' - transmission/hydraulic fluid and clean the 'strainer', or replace it if damaged. The strainer is behind a triangular plate at the front edge of the rear axle assembly. Opening that will dump all the fluid. If water or sludge comes out its a good idea to flush the transmission before refill. Wipe out the cavity, the transmission sump, through there too. Capacity on the near identical but slightly larger YM240 is nearly 5 gallons, your YM195 might be 4+.

When I bought my YM240 nearly 20 years ago it looked about as rough as your tractor. A month of fixing neglected and broken stuff made it reliable, about the only repairs since have been to fix gross user abuse, not wear.

I think you're going to like it.

And Welcome!

/ New to Yanmar tractors and need some assistance #4  
On the 3point You have a problem. The Hyd. piston is pushed in. So the handle is working, Pull it back pushes the piston in "lift". No lift fluid!! Strainer or the Hyd, pump. Are you that low on fluid? Doubtful!! Shear the pin on the pump is my guess. My strainer was so super nasty it was just plain disgusting. But it still worked..............

/ New to Yanmar tractors and need some assistance #6  
Do you have the fenders for it? That looks dangerous without them.
The ROPs is missing and other parts too. I think I only see one part of the seat belt. ouch.

If mowing and a branch got caught up in the mower, the tractor could jerk a little causing the person to reach out for support. With no fenders, that is very dangerous. I was just mowing over the weekend and had this very thing happen. The Yanmar fenders with the looped rod is a sure grip to have when thigs happen suddenly.

/ New to Yanmar tractors and need some assistance #7  
Seen that Tractor listed on CL. I believe it was. I thought it was odd the fenders was missing. I'm next door in Walton. Asking price seemed fair I believe. How the ROP. patrol hasn't been all over this one. Org. rice patty unit for me so I don't have them. To many trees 8 acres worth so I left them off. It looks to be the rear tires are at the widest position so that is a good thing to prevent a roll over. Welcome to the Forum.

/ New to Yanmar tractors and need some assistance #8  
Boy the UTDA roll over patrol is on it before I could finish typing

/ New to Yanmar tractors and need some assistance
You might try topping up the fluid just to see if that makes the lift work. Anything you have roughly similar to 20 wt oil is compatible, but not suitable for actually working the tractor. Better, as Winston said, the first thing to do on a neglected tractor is replace the 'UTF' - transmission/hydraulic fluid and clean the 'strainer', or replace it if damaged. The strainer is behind a triangular plate at the front edge of the rear axle assembly. Opening that will dump all the fluid. If water or sludge comes out its a good idea to flush the transmission before refill. Wipe out the cavity, the transmission sump, through there too. Capacity on the near identical but slightly larger YM240 is nearly 5 gallons, your YM195 might be 4+.

When I bought my YM240 nearly 20 years ago it looked about as rough as your tractor. A month of fixing neglected and broken stuff made it reliable, about the only repairs since have been to fix gross user abuse, not wear.

I think you're going to like it.

And Welcome!
You guys are great! This forum is a wonderful help to knuckleheads like me! I will be doing all the things recommended as I can't imagine the fluid or strainer or any type of maintenance has been done in any recent memory. Whether it fixes the problem or not, it needs service at least.
If I can get the lift to work and fix a few other problems he can take it to the farm and move it out of my yard!
I have my son's jaguar with a leaking rear main seal in my driveway, a friends John Deer mower that won't start, and my other son's Kia with leaking valve cover gasket and AC problems needing repairs too!
Thanks much! Dave Warner