New Tractor Fuel additive

/ New Tractor Fuel additive #11  
To clarify fact and opinion. No, you don稚 need additive. Yes, you can use additive. And yes an additive might show an improvement.

I say 杜ight because most off-the-shelf diesel fuel additives are just snake oil - they don稚 improve the lubricity of the fuel and/or they don稚 have enough cetane improver in the mix to have any significant impact.

/ New Tractor Fuel additive #12  
To clarify fact and opinion. No, you don稚 need additive. Yes, you can use additive. And yes an additive might show an improvement.

I say 杜ight because most off-the-shelf diesel fuel additives are just snake oil - they don稚 improve the lubricity of the fuel and/or they don稚 have enough cetane improver in the mix to have any significant impact.

X2
A injector repair facility told me fuel dyers like PS white add alcohol to do the drying but fuel is so dry already that it harms injectors. v Get used to changing fuel filters often.

THEN he added that because the fuel is so dry to use Stanadyne lubricity formula for lubing the injectors, all the time.

Cost me $5000 to find that tidbit of info out.

Ask the tractor dealer what product their warranty will stand behind and see what they say. My diesel truck dealers always say to add nothing to the fuel or oil, but my bet would be that a lub. formula might work.

/ New Tractor Fuel additive #13  
There's been several independent tests on fuel lubricity, such as the now famous Diesel Place study. A big problem with ULSD (Ulta Low Sulphur Diesel) is the lack of lubricity, which appears to correlate with higher failure rate of injectors and high pressure pumps. Many newer diesels have a specific pump lubrication systems, so this potentially solves one problem, assuming it is sufficient, but leaves the other problem unresolved. Biodiesel is very lubricious, but it has its own set of problems, such as the extra soot production that can cause oil sludging.

My opinion is, the best solution is a good fuel lubricant and a cetane improver. The problem is, everyone has an opinion on this, especially when it comes to which brand is best. But very rarely do they offer any empirical data to support it. So in the end, I worry about myself, I did my own research and spent a considerable sum of money to get my answers, and now I rest assured that I've got all the facts. I consistently get hundreds of thousands of kilometres out of my engines problem-free before I sell them off, whereas others just seem to be dumping tons of money into their engines, until they give up and say "screw it", I'm not wasting my time on diesels anymore. With my truck driver friends, I can't believe the number of issues they have - it never used to be this way.

/ New Tractor Fuel additive #14  
Have never ever had a water problem in diesel in 39 years of driving diesel cars and 13 years now on tractors. Did have wax come out of solution from some off road diesel. White bottle additive might have prevented that.

Normally use white bottle stuff on 60 gallons in the tank on the Isuzu diesel generator. Normally don't put anything into the tractor's tank and was prohibited for the 7 years of owning VW TDI to do so. Rarely put any additive into the tank of the Benzes.

Had bio diesel-removed crud plug the filter on the 240D once, after 3 tankfuls of bio. Had wax plug the fuel filter on the 220D once in -22 F. Minor inconvenience.

I don't believe a word about fuel lubricity. Doubt the fuel pump parts ever actually rub against each other.

Ralph

/ New Tractor Fuel additive #15  
Well, diesel equipment manufacturers seem to think lubricity is an issue. So does the EU and California. They both have standards for wear scar produced in HFRR test.

/ New Tractor Fuel additive #16  
   / New Tractor Fuel additive #19  
I've read that one before. It's a lit review, and fairly extensive, but I have some reservations about their conclusions. If you check their references, many are not overly relevant or otherwise come to different conclusions than the sources do. For example, their reference for their claim that there is little evidence to support performance improvement with cetane enhancers is actually a study that concluded significant increases in power and efficiency. A little odd. But they do have quite an extensive reference list of useful information.

/ New Tractor Fuel additive #20  
It is a known fact that ULSD has less lubricity then the older diesel did, sulfur is a lubricant. Maybe these newer diesels don't need any additional lubrication, but for the cost of an injector pump I will continue to add something to my fuel, it could be a commercial product, or 2 stroke oil, or ATF. And my winter fuel tank definitely gets anti-gell as well.