New use for old parts

/ New use for old parts #1  

Car Doc

Elite Member
Tractor
YM3810D Yanmar
I have a couple friends that work for an oil field engine repair shop and when they rebuild the huge Waukeshaw (sp?) natural gas compressor engines they always install new harmonic balancers.

So I get these for a 30 stone of beer they are 350# each approx and I have adapted one for weight on my box blade and now I am going to use these 2 for rear wheel weights on my 3810D.

I have slowed down a bit from the bad weather so am doing my projects while I can I will post pics after I get them fitted to my tractor.

Attachments

• Balancer mods 001 (1024x768).jpg
    Balancer mods 001 (1024x768).jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 305
  • Balancer mods 003 (1024x768).jpg
    Balancer mods 003 (1024x768).jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 266
  • Balancer mods 004 (1024x768).jpg
    Balancer mods 004 (1024x768).jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 265
   / New use for old parts #2  
They make a great base for a pedestal to mount a grinder on. I have a flywheel and the grinder all I need is some scrap for the pedestal.

/ New use for old parts #3  
I have a couple friends that work for an oil field engine repair shop and when they rebuild the huge Waukeshaw (sp?) natural gas compressor engines they always install new harmonic balancers.

So I get these for a 30 stone of beer they are 350# each approx and I have adapted one for weight on my box blade and now I am going to use these 2 for rear wheel weights on my 3810D.

I have slowed down a bit from the bad weather so am doing my projects while I can I will post pics after I get them fitted to my tractor.[/QUOTE

Good Idea:thumbsup: 300lbs to each wheel is sure to give it a good bite on the ground;)

/ New use for old parts
Thanks I hope it does because I need the weight for backhoeing the tractor is like a rag doll sometimes when digging and its hard to stay in one place always.

I pulled a groin muscle back in September digging a storm shelter when the backhoe/rear of tractor went up in the air about a foot or so on a tree root and then fell all of a sudden it did that a few times before I got the root cut with the bucket the groin muscle still hurts.

I cant use my bucket fully either w/o something attached to the rear so hopefully it will make the tractor overall more usable.

I have the weights sitting on blocks now waiting for me to get my design straight in my head I think I have a plan but am getting busy again so its kind of on hold for the moment.

/ New use for old parts #5  
Here's what I use for counterweight when using the FEL.

Attachments

• DSC00547.JPG
    DSC00547.JPG
    739.1 KB · Views: 302
   / New use for old parts
   / New use for old parts #7  
Welcome. First thing that went through my mind if those ROP. would hold up to a rollover. IMO....... No!!!!! and hope you Don't find out. What is the Guesstament on the Lbs. or weight.

Carey

/ New use for old parts #9  
If those weights of Yanmar1401downer were made with those 12" forms I see in the picture and I'm guessing around 7 ft total length they would calculate out to about 824 lbs. That is calculating dry concrete at 150 lbs per cubic ft. which won't be far off. May not be that long, looks like middle could be 3 ft and outers 2 ft.

/ New use for old parts #10  
If those weights of Yanmar1401downer were made with those 12" forms I see in the picture and I'm guessing around 7 ft total length they would calculate out to about 824 lbs. That is calculating dry concrete at 150 lbs per cubic ft. which won't be far off. May not be that long, looks like middle could be 3 ft and outers 2 ft.

I'll have to measure the actual length. 3 x 80lb bags of concrete in the center and 2 x 80lb bags on each end. I can only estimate the weight based on 7 bags x 80lb + 20 lb steel bar = 580 + whatever weight was added by the water for the concrete mix. I have photos of constructing the counterweight if anyone is interested.

I prefer this counterweight over hooking on the brush hog or other implement because I can maneuver much better.

BTW - I'll be selling the quick hitch soon as I have ordered the type that only provides the "hook" attachments on the lower lift arms. I have also since replaced the lug tires with larger turf tires.