New use for wood chips

/ New use for wood chips #1  

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I finally finished all my thinning/chipping for this year and my poor 'ol shoulders are almost back to normal. Sooo..... I've got big piles of pine chips all over the 80 acres and normally they just sit there and moulder down.

Last night, in the middle a pretty good sleep, I had this great idea. I have a John Deere G100 riding lawn mower and its a REAL PITA to clean the snotty grass that accumulates in the underside of the cutting deck.

So this morning I drove the mower out and parked it on top of one pile of chips. Engaged the blades, ran the rpm's to max and slowly lowered the deck. SAFETY NOTE: be sure you wear safety glasses.

The operation wasn't as bad as I thought it might be - at first it kicked out a large wad of chips but as time went on the chips bounced, banged & flew around the cutting chamber before being discharged. I let it sit this way for around five minuets and then drove it off, shut it down and peered underneath.

It has cleaned all the icky grass build up and shined things up like it was almost brand new. Since pine chips are soft to start with - it had no appearent negative affect on the blade sharpness either. For me - this sure makes what was a nasty job, a whole lot easier and it does the cleaning a whole lot better.

/ New use for wood chips #2  
Good thinking. Whenever you don't have to use water, I'd say it's a plus

Brett

/ New use for wood chips #3  
:thumbsup: I'll have to give it try.

/ New use for wood chips #4  
Me too! What a great idea.

/ New use for wood chips #5  
That's using the ole noggen. Thanks for sharing your idea.

/ New use for wood chips #6  
Have a PTO chipper, lots of pine trees, and a riding mower... DEFINITELY am gonna try this!!!!!

/ New use for wood chips #7  
That's using the ole noggen. Thanks for sharing your idea.
No, no! He used wood chips, not his noggen to clean the underside of the mower deck. :shocked: :D

/ New use for wood chips #8  
Update: I'm SOLD on this idea! I'm gonna build a 3 sided box to contain the chips so they won't fly away immediately. Best idea of 2017! Thank you!

/ New use for wood chips #9  
Update: I'm SOLD on this idea! I'm gonna build a 3 sided box to contain the chips so they won't fly away immediately. Best idea of 2017! Thank you!

While you're out there slinging chips in your chip box better watch out for the big guys in the little white coats coming to "take you away" that your neighbor has called wondering what is wrong with you. :) I don't have any chips to try this just a few burn piles but sure sounds like it works.

/ New use for wood chips
I've done it twice now. Of course, the second time didn't require so much cleaning out of the accumulated "muck". I must have, at least, 10-12 large chip piles - so I won't need a box. I get a lot of dirt build up under my mower. Darn pocket gopher mounds that I mow over. But my efforts at their elimination is a whole nother story. When you use your "chip box" - be really careful about head/face/eye protection.