Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #1  

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I have recently had a few times when I needed to move stuff around and didn't have enough room in the truck (Silverado TrailBoss 1500, towing 9,500lbs). I would want something for general hauling that allows for easy loading/unloading of pallets. Most seem to have fixed metal sides. I also wouldn't mind being able to transport my mower (Ferris IS3200Z 61" ZTR) or my Kubota RTV900 if I need service or need to help out someone. I believe the RTV's weight is around between 1800-2000lbs and the ZTR is around 1500-1600lbs. I would want to be able to pick up a pallet of fertilizer or something similar or go get loads of free wood with it. I am not running a business with this thing.

Anyone have an idea's? I first one I've seen the Karavan 6x10 utility trailers with fold down side rails at home depot. It lists a GVRW of 2990 with capacity of 2050. I normally like more of a buffer, but since I've never towed it could be just fine. What do you recommend.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #2  
We recently got a pj d3 dump trailer. It weighs 2300lbs empty. I have hauled many things, firewood, gravel and my Rtv-x900.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #3  
You should visit a trailer dealer. Probably looking for a 16 or 20' car hauler. Aluminum trailer will cost more, lighter, may have fewer rust issues. You may find a good deal on used trailer. Trailers like tractors get traded in when buyer realizes they need bigger unit

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #4  
A dump trailer might work. Mine has a heavy landscape ramp/gate on the rear. I added a small winch to lower and raise gate. Only haul 2 pallets at a time, added a truck hoist to lift gate and swing it to the side.

Back when purchased, we had Cummins Tool trucks that would setup and sell stuff on a weekend. It's the only place I've seen selling the tall p/u truck hoists.
20150321_123259.jpg

20150321_123242.jpg

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #5  
I would look for something like this. I believe (but am not positive) that in your state there is some legal reason you want to keep your trailer GVWR 9999lbs or below. I would get the 20’. You could haul your mower and RTV at the same time. Most people that buy small trailers wind up buying a bigger one later. You could haul a vehicle on one of these, most any compact tractor, long building materials, long gates, fence panels, etc.

69D91371-FDBE-44EB-984A-16D707ED7F5B.jpeg

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #6  

Attachments

• IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 305

Here is a picture of mine, it’s a 7000 lb rated trailer which allows for 5000 pound payload. It’s 16 feet of flat deck with a 2 foot dovetail. This is about as cheap as you can get, it was about $2200 a years ago. They are cheaper if they have the side rails and prices have gone up and inventory is down.

A single axle is an option but that really limits on what you can haul and getting the load balanced is harder. A dump trailer is also an option but is probably more expensive.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #7  
The above trailer (post 5 & 6) while not a deck-over would work and is the most common type out there. Keep in mind that pallets can weigh in the 3,000 to 4,000 pound range so you will be limited in the number of pallets you can haul. A dump trailer could work as long as you have a way of pushing the pallet forward and can tie it down. A deck-over is what is usually used to haul pallets, but it is a higher bed with a higher center of gravity and requires longer loading ramps for equipment. It will handle wider width equipment.

My trailer is similar to post 6. It's 7000# with 5000# payload 83" wide and 16' long with fold up ramps - no dovetail. I can haul one pallet at a time and put it just forward of the front axle.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #8  
I watched used trailers for about 2 years. My opinion is that used trailers command prices too near new trailers to buy used.

I was going to have to spend $3000 for a 16-20' flat bed or car trailer with around a 7,000 lb carrying capacity, and I bought a brand new 20' 3.5 ton capacity trailer for $3900. A lot of the used trailers I was looking at were even the same brand and make of that brand.

The only "good" deals were ragged out trailers needing tires and decking or homemade jobs that had mobile home axles or otherwise looked less than adequate.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #9  
Trailer prices are insanely high right now.

/ Newbie to Trailers... Looking but no idea what for #10  
Buy more trailer than you think you need. I have a 20' 10k similar to the one in bdog's post and wish I had a bigger trailer, but it's what was available. It was $3500 in March, but prices....

You will find ways to fill up the trailer, no matter what size you get.