Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil

/ Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil #22  
That engine has a small sump for a 3L diesel IMO. Nevertheless any modern HDEO 15w40 or 10w30 would work fine I'm sure. Someone talked about detergent in the oil. I would guess that any previous owners would have used any oil they got from the farm store and it likely would have been detergent oil. There would be a small chance that modern synthetics might have some seal compatibility issues, so I would personally stick to a dino oil. Dino oils are just as good these days so no worries there.

In any Case I would keep an eye out for leaks after you change the oil, probably show up about 50-100 hours in. (see what I did there :) )

/ Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil
That engine has a small sump for a 3L diesel IMO. Nevertheless any modern HDEO 15w40 or 10w30 would work fine I'm sure. Someone talked about detergent in the oil. I would guess that any previous owners would have used any oil they got from the farm store and it likely would have been detergent oil. There would be a small chance that modern synthetics might have some seal compatibility issues, so I would personally stick to a dino oil. Dino oils are just as good these days so no worries there.

In any Case I would keep an eye out for leaks after you change the oil, probably show up about 50-100 hours in. (see what I did there :) )
Hours? What are hours?

But check out that awesome Eagle logo!

Attachments

• 28190FB7-27BE-4EC2-8CF8-4FFFDA742385.jpeg
    28190FB7-27BE-4EC2-8CF8-4FFFDA742385.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
   / Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil #25  
One consideration not mentioned is detergent versus non detergent oils. If you use a detergent oil to replace an older non detergent deposits can wash away leaving things pretty loose inside. I don't know when detergent oils came into being but there's another piece of research for you.
I haven’t seen non-detergent oils for sale since the 1970s.

/ Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil #26  
I haven’t seen non-detergent oils for sale since the 1970s.
Non-detergent SAE 30 is easy to find and very popular for air compressors.
Some old-school guys with say '50s tractors still use it,especially if the engine hasn't been apart.
Good Luck!

/ Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil #27  
Non-detergent SAE 30 is easy to find and very popular for air compressors.
Some old-school guys with say '50s tractors still use it,especially if the engine hasn't been apart.
Good Luck!
I see SAE30 everywhere, but it’s not labeled as non-detergent. Is all single weight oil non-detergent?

/ Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil #28  
Not at all!
Check out NAPA 75-115.
And Wolfs Head has one as well.
Rotella T1 30 or 40 is a detergent oil.
Compare to NAPA 75-110,a modern detergent oil.
Thanks for asking!

/ Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil #29  
Hours? What are hours?

But check out that awesome Eagle logo!

Interesting. Given the interest in this logo, perhaps the large cast iron Case Eagle I saw on Craigslist is not overpriced at $16000!
I thought the seller was crazy!

/ Newbie Tractor Owner Gets An Old Diesel Tractor, recommendations for engine oil #30  
I agree dino is good, I do use a synthetic in a 4020 due to I dont have to temp change and easier winter starts and its got a turbo, it loves it and I sampled. Here is my take,,,, if its decent and tight I would change the oil with Wix filter and forget about it except to check it. The reason for the change now is to know the score so to speak and start off fresh. Its not likely a given tractor will see lots of work, a change now with an engine not leaking coolant could be good for the life of the unit or the owner.

Last edited: