newbie with an Allmand TLB 425

/ newbie with an Allmand TLB 425 #1  

kinsersretired

Tractor
Allmand tlb 425
Greetings all,
Last year I bought an Allmand TLB 425 used from a local equipment reseller. I have no prior tractor ownership experience though I have driven a forklift and a Bobcat a time or two.
The reseller had replaced all the hydraulic hoses and many of the connectors. The hour meter read 400 +/-. It ran fine in the test run. They even delivered it for me.

I bought it to help with the 40 acres of mostly forest that I have. To keep trails clear and level, level out some of the non-forested areas, expand the pond, etc. Initial efforts went fine but in year two I started have problems with it turning itself off and later not starting at all. So, my son-in-law and I started researching how to repair to maintenance on it. That's when I found out Allmand doesn't make or support the TLB anymore. I also found a note written under the hood in the corner saying the hour meter was swapped out at around 700 hours.

Todate, we have replaced the starter (it has a kubota engine so I get some of my stuff from the local Kubota dealer), the manifold, the air filter, the fuel filter, the oil filter, the console gauge, and the ignition switch. I've also lubricated all the joints (as diagrammed in the operator's manual I found online).

All of these were straightforward except the ignition switch. The previous switch was not OEM and only had 4 terminals whereas the OEM switch has 5. Also, they aren't labeled the same either. After an hour of googling, I found wiring diagrams for the original switch, the new switch and the TLB itself (on separate unrelated websites). This enabled me to reposition all the wires correctly. It started on the first try. Funny story... the ignition switch apparently lost its spring back from the start position so sometimes the vibrations caused it to slip into the start position. This is why I had to replace the starter. Okay, it wasn't really funny.

I went through a similar experience with my Snapper zero turn mower. I had all kinds of issues with it the first two years. Most of them were covered by the warranty but were still bothersome. For example, I accidently left the key in the mower overnight and found that hours meter (on which the warranty is based) kept running all night. Eventually, I modified the mower to better fit my needs. I am in the process of doing the same with the TLB. Eventually, I will understand it's personality better and adjust to it or modify it to something I can live with. It will probably take another year to get there.

In the meantime, I have enjoyed reading the forums here. I search it every so often for issues and find myself lost in tangents as one comment leads me to a different thread and so on.

Next on my todo list is to replace the hydraulic filters and top off the reservoir. I have no exprience with hydraulics but I did read somewhere that the pressure can be high enough to pierce the skin so I am proceeding with caution.

I found a new website where I can get some Allmand parts...allmandtractorparts dot com. This appears to be a equipment rental place that had several Allmand tractors and has expanded to help support repairs on them.

Perhaps one day I will have enough experience to assist others. Till then, please be patient.

/ newbie with an Allmand TLB 425 #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site... from wherever in he world you're from.

/ newbie with an Allmand TLB 425 #3  
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you've come to the right place :)

/ newbie with an Allmand TLB 425 #4  
:welcome: to TBN...enjoy.

/ newbie with an Allmand TLB 425 #5  
I just got a 535 this winter use it for landscaping work. Really like mine so far. Has tons of power for my use. I’m glad I bought it

/ newbie with an Allmand TLB 425 #6  
Greetings all,
Last year I bought an Allmand TLB 425 used from a local equipment reseller. I have no prior tractor ownership experience though I have driven a forklift and a Bobcat a time or two.
The reseller had replaced all the hydraulic hoses and many of the connectors. The hour meter read 400 +/-. It ran fine in the test run. They even delivered it for me.

I bought it to help with the 40 acres of mostly forest that I have. To keep trails clear and level, level out some of the non-forested areas, expand the pond, etc. Initial efforts went fine but in year two I started have problems with it turning itself off and later not starting at all. So, my son-in-law and I started researching how to repair to maintenance on it. That's when I found out Allmand doesn't make or support the TLB anymore. I also found a note written under the hood in the corner saying the hour meter was swapped out at around 700 hours.

Todate, we have replaced the starter (it has a kubota engine so I get some of my stuff from the local Kubota dealer), the manifold, the air filter, the fuel filter, the oil filter, the console gauge, and the ignition switch. I've also lubricated all the joints (as diagrammed in the operator's manual I found online).

All of these were straightforward except the ignition switch. The previous switch was not OEM and only had 4 terminals whereas the OEM switch has 5. Also, they aren't labeled the same either. After an hour of googling, I found wiring diagrams for the original switch, the new switch and the TLB itself (on separate unrelated websites). This enabled me to reposition all the wires correctly. It started on the first try. Funny story... the ignition switch apparently lost its spring back from the start position so sometimes the vibrations caused it to slip into the start position. This is why I had to replace the starter. Okay, it wasn't really funny.

I went through a similar experience with my Snapper zero turn mower. I had all kinds of issues with it the first two years. Most of them were covered by the warranty but were still bothersome. For example, I accidently left the key in the mower overnight and found that hours meter (on which the warranty is based) kept running all night. Eventually, I modified the mower to better fit my needs. I am in the process of doing the same with the TLB. Eventually, I will understand it's personality better and adjust to it or modify it to something I can live with. It will probably take another year to get there.

In the meantime, I have enjoyed reading the forums here. I search it every so often for issues and find myself lost in tangents as one comment leads me to a different thread and so on.

Next on my todo list is to replace the hydraulic filters and top off the reservoir. I have no exprience with hydraulics but I did read somewhere that the pressure can be high enough to pierce the skin so I am proceeding with caution.

I found a new website where I can get some Allmand parts...allmandtractorparts dot com. This appears to be a equipment rental place that had several Allmand tractors and has expanded to help support repairs on them.

Perhaps one day I will have enough experience to assist others. Till then, please be patient.
Did you ever get this tractor going?

/ newbie with an Allmand TLB 425 #7  
Greetings all,

I have a Allmand TLB 325 and like my unit a lot. The only negative thing I have is parts are hard to get. The parts supplier that took over for Allmand when they discontinued manufacturing these units is only suppling limited parts. Right now I'm having a problem with the hydraulic steering cylinder. One of the cylinder glands was destroyed and I'm having a problem finding one. Everday is a learning experience. I have been around a lot of machinery but the hydraulics is a new thing.

/ newbie with an Allmand TLB 425 #8  
Welcome aboard from East Tennessee.

/ newbie with an Allmand TLB 425 #9  
Welcome. I have a TLB 325, great work horse for the size of the unit. Parts can be a little hard to get since Allmand no longer supports TLB's.