Newly assembled trailer: one hub warmer

/ Newly assembled trailer: one hub warmer #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
I just finished putting together one of the 4x8 folding utility trailers from HF. After my first unloaded trip of about six miles I touched both wheel hubs just to check on warmth. One was warm to the touch and the other was stone cold. Both hubs had been assembled (I thought identically) by me and liberally greased.

Any ideas? I am wondering if I may have overtightened the castle nut on the warm side but as I recall the wheel spun freely when I finished assembly.

/ Newly assembled trailer: one hub warmer #2  
I would re adjust the castle nut and then keep a eye on it.

Chris

/ Newly assembled trailer: one hub warmer #3  
being it is a hf trailer, it could be a bad bearing as well

/ Newly assembled trailer: one hub warmer
Thanks. I will readjust the castle nut and see what happens.

/ Newly assembled trailer: one hub warmer #5  
being it is a hf trailer, it could be a bad bearing as well

It could be but just about every bearing I have used lately, even Timken, were Chinese made now days. A bad bearing is a possibility but check it over first.

Chris

/ Newly assembled trailer: one hub warmer #6  
yep.. last timken set I bought was chinese origin.

I'd pull the warm hub apart and look at the bearing and axle.. see if the cage angle is correct and the rollers are in correct contact with the axle. have seen some steeirng thrust bearings where the angle is wrong.. makes preload wrong and has insuficient bearing contact.

if there are no bad rollers and the cage looks ok, and no marks on the axle.. no galling, etc.. I'd lube it back up and pay attention to preload ( not that you didn't the first time ), then replace and try another test. might just want to wear in ..

I'd check the castle nuts on each after your first trip.. see if preload is staying correct.

soundguy

/ Newly assembled trailer: one hub warmer #7  
No Chinese Timkens in my stock of bearings. But then I speced them that way. Bearing supplier would rather sell US made bearings and his price isn't bad.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the detailed reply Soundguy.

I hadn't assembled bearings before so was just following the basic instructions. I greased up the bearing, slid it over the axle then added the washer followed by the castle nut. I tightened the nut enough that I felt the bearing seat just with hand turning then added probably a turn and a half or two using no more than finger pressure on the wrench. Put in the cotter, put on the cap and then added about forty squirts from a small grease gun. When I finished the wheel rotated easily by hand but not spinning freely like a bicycle tire.

I'm not sure what you mean by preload in this context.

/ Newly assembled trailer: one hub warmer #9  
Did you pack the bearings with grease or just put grease on the bearing. There is a big difference.
Bill

Did you pack the bearings with grease or just put grease on the bearing. There is a big difference.
Bill

Well, I slathered the bearing with grease then installed it then pumped in about 40 squirts with a grease gun through the zerk.

What should I have done?