Newton County Texas declared disaster area

/ Newton County Texas declared disaster area #1  

setxjeff

Silver Member
Tractor
1951 IH cub, International 254 and 1538 Mahindra Towable Backhoe
The United States Department of Agriculture has declared Newton County and six other Texas counties as a natural disaster due to drought conditions.
According to the USDA, Newton County along with DeWitt, Freestone, Guadalupe, Falls, Gonzales, and Limestone Counties all fall directly under the disaster declaration due to a drought during the growing season.
I live in south Newton county, it is dry the grass is crunching in my yard when you walk on it.

/ Newton County Texas declared disaster area #2  
So......how does the declaration help those counties?

/ Newton County Texas declared disaster area #3  
Terrible.
Prayers sent to my friend and TBN member Tx Jim, and all farmers & others affected by the drought.

/ Newton County Texas declared disaster area #5  
Thanks jyoutz. OK - that makes sense. Just holding our breath up here. It's getting warmer but we are still getting some rain. The ground is still damp.

/ Newton County Texas declared disaster area #6  
Thanks jyoutz. OK - that makes sense. Just holding our breath up here. It's getting warmer but we are still getting some rain. The ground is still damp.
Our weather did a 180 over the past 10 days. We had a very dry and windy spring and early June was hot. About 10 days ago our summer monsoon moved in from the Gulf and Baja. It has been raining day and night since then and we have received about 3.5” so far. The fire areas are now faced with flooding instead of burning.

/ Newton County Texas declared disaster area #7  
This has been the wetttest spring I can recall. We were in severe drought the past 2 or 3 years. The soil moisture down deep is no longer there. Hoping our wet spring will be enought to carry the crops through to harvest. Crops are looking great so far.

We have a lot of catcing up to do in the soil moisture.