Next problem: metric crank bolt socket size.

/ Next problem: metric crank bolt socket size. #1  

Stumpshot

I need to pull the crank pulley bolt but cant find any metric sockets that fit.
Best I can do is mike the painted bolt.
I get 22.8mm on the flats and 29.85 on the points. This make sense, socket wise, to anyone?
Thanks.

/ Next problem: metric crank bolt socket size. #2  
I need to pull the crank pulley bolt but cant find any metric sockets that fit.
Best I can do is mike the painted bolt.
I get 22.8mm on the flats and 29.85 on the points. This make sense, socket wise, to anyone?
Thanks.
If the paint is thick then maybe a 7/8 inch socket would work. A 15/16 inch socket would be next if you can't find a 23mm socket. And I bet you would have a hard time finding one. 22.8mm equals .897in. .897in is only .012 larger than .875in which is 7/8in. Which would mean a .006in thick paint thickness, which would not be excessive. I would try a 7/8 socket. I bet it works. If a 6 point won't fit then try a 12 point. I would be surprised if it didn't fit. For sure a 6 point 15/16 will work. I am pretty sure an odd sized bolt head wasn't used, so paint thickness and/or measurement error could account for what looks like an odd size. BTW, measurement over the points is almost useless because the points would need to be perfectly sharp to calculate the dimension over the flats.
Eric

/ Next problem: metric crank bolt socket size. #3  
Try a six point impact socket that fits. You may need a 22 or 23 mm metric socket. In many cases in sizes over 3/4" or so an American socket is close enough to work well.

/ Next problem: metric crank bolt socket size.
Thanks for the replies. I bought a 26mm 12 pt....too tight. Tried a 1 1/16 sae.....pretty close. If I strip the bolt the engine and crank will have to come out. Complete rebuild or close. I ordered a 27mm shallow impact. Got to pull the oil cooler to have clearance for the impact gun and socket.
All this to change a starter???
Insanity to say the least.