NH 1920 alignment after tie rod end replacement.

/ NH 1920 alignment after tie rod end replacement. #1  

Mallard1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
Both of my front tie rods ends are shot on my NH 1920, I have the new ones ordered and plan to change them in the next week or so. what is the best way to align the front tires, it is a 4wd tractor. thanks for the help.

/ NH 1920 alignment after tie rod end replacement. #2  
My FO-46 shop manual says the front wheel toe-on should be 0 to 3/16 inches measured at the front and rear of the wheels at spindle height. Mark both front wheels at hub height (I guess right next to the tire bead) and measure the distance between the marks. Roll tractor forward until marks are positioned at the rear at hub height (1/2 of a front wheel rotation) and measure the distance between the marks in the rear position. The front distance should be about 3/16 inches LESS than the rear measurement so that the wheels are slightly toe's inward. Disconnect the power steering cylinder from the tie rod, loosen the lock nuts on both ends of the tie rod and turn the tie rod to adjust the distance. Tighten locknuts.

/ NH 1920 alignment after tie rod end replacement.
Thanks for the quick reply, any reason to not just mark the front and rear and adjust until correct? thanks again.

/ NH 1920 alignment after tie rod end replacement. #4  
My NH1920 tie rod ends are also shot, one side worse than the other, and I have been postponing the repair after I priced the replacements at Messick's. So, I will also need to align when I get around to it. Thinking through this again, my front axle spindles may have enough 'play' in them to make the measurement between the wheels a little tricky. But, as long as the wheels appear to have a slight toe in when it's rolling, I'm not gonna sweat it. My Ag front tires need to be replaced also. Maybe the forward roll that the manual recommends is to compensate for spindle slop?

/ NH 1920 alignment after tie rod end replacement. #5  
Thanks for the quick reply, any reason to not just mark the front and rear and adjust until correct? thanks again.

The 1/2 rotation will account for any runout in the rims, of which there is almost certain to be some. That’s said, the step is often skipped.

/ NH 1920 alignment after tie rod end replacement. #6  
My NH1920 tie rod ends are also shot, one side worse than the other, and I have been postponing the repair after I priced the replacements at Messick's. So, I will also need to align when I get around to it. Thinking through this again, my front axle spindles may have enough 'play' in them to make the measurement between the wheels a little tricky. But, as long as the wheels appear to have a slight toe in when it's rolling, I'm not gonna sweat it. My Ag front tires need to be replaced also. Maybe the forward roll that the manual recommends is to compensate for spindle slop?

There should be no appreciable play in the front spindles. If there is, consider addressing that sooner than later.

Well i started tearing it down tonight. i got the tie rod ends loosened up and off the tractor. I then attempted to take the power steering cylinder off and cannot figure out how to get it off. I tried taking the nut off the top and pushing the bolt and cylinder down and also taking the bottom bolt off and pushing the cylinder end off it. neither way seems to want to work and i'm leery of bending the cylinder rod if i do much more prying.

/ NH 1920 alignment after tie rod end replacement. #8  
You need to remove the base end of the cylinder and drop the cylinder straight down.

You need to remove the base end of the cylinder and drop the cylinder straight down.

Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight.

Got it back together tonight. Had a tough time getting the bracket the holds the steering cylinder up but finally got it together. The steering is much tighter now however the holes for the tie rods are egged out some so I will have to replace them soon. I guess that happens when I delay replacing stuff.