NH Baler Steel Hydraulic Tubing

/ NH Baler Steel Hydraulic Tubing #1  

RancherGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710; JD 5425, 6105R, 7130-P; IH 1086
I have NH BR750. After a few hydraulic parts failures, I want to try to improve reliability (reduce downtime) now that I am between cuttings.

I have noted that the 3/8 inch flex hoses that transition from steel lines to the tailgate hydraulic cylinders are showing age. I want to replace all four of them, each being around 16 inches long. One end is a standard 3/8 JIC swivel fitting, the other is special that can connect to the steel hydraulic line. Does anyone know what this special fitting is? I make my own hoses and want to order just the fittings.

Doing some research, this steel line connection appears to be labeled as a flareless tube fitting. Optically, the flex hose fitting looks like a fixed 1/4" male NPT, but the walls are thinner so that it can fit over the ferrule on the steel line.

I am attaching a photo of the ferrule and steel line.

Attachments

• Steel Fitting Ferrule.png
    Steel Fitting Ferrule.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
   / NH Baler Steel Hydraulic Tubing #2  
My guess is that the tubing is metric, probably 10 mm. The nut I think it's M16x1,5. But you can confirm that by measuring the diameter of the male threads.

/ NH Baler Steel Hydraulic Tubing #3  
When you find out, let me know and I'll buy them for future use. Will save me from pulling them and taking them to my Parker distributor. Mine are fine.

/ NH Baler Steel Hydraulic Tubing
My mistake. I no longer believe that the flex hose fitting fits over the ferrule. I think it either contacts the ferrule slope or presses against the end of the steel line, as the tip of the steel line seems to have a very slight flare as through the fitting was jammed up against it.

My guess is that the tubing is metric, probably 10 mm. The nut I think it's M16x1,5. But you can confirm that by measuring the diameter of the male threads.
So far, every nut, bolt, hydraulic connection, etc. is Imperial/SAE, so I would be very surprised if only the tubing is metric. However I have been around long enough that this would not be the first surprise of my life.

Another update. Re-measured the steel line at a different location, this time I got a dimension of 0.38 inches, thus it is 3/8" OD.

Did some searching and found what appears to be the ferrule that NH uses. It is part number 514929 and is for a 3/8" tube. I just have not yet located the hose fitting to use with it.

For confirmation, I rechecked the fit of a 1/4" NPT pipe fitting. The fitting threads and nut threads do not get close enough to engage. The fitting does not have a center hole large enough to fit over the 3/8" line, thus the walls on the correct fitting must be thinner than a standard pipe fitting. I am attaching a picture of my 1/4" NPT pipe to show it's detail.

Standard NPT Fitting.png

I'm trying to bring closure to this topic with this posting. Lots of good info here if this is topic is of interest.

I would be embarrassed if I were to tell you how much time I spent researching and in email communication on this topic with various hydraulic sources. But my pain can be your gain. This appears to apply to Ford, New Holland (NH) and Case hydraulics.

Hydraulic system: it is all 3/8". 3/8" flex hoses, 3/8" steel hydraulic tubing. The tubing uses ferrules and nuts to join steel to flex. The parts breakdown for NH lists the flex hoses as 1 wire. That may be fine for older tractors, but I am very uncomfortable with that spec after 15 years of age and with a younger tractor. Some relative specs: 1-wire = 2600 psi working, 2-wire = 4700 psi working. Although I can't find pressure for mine, a lot of newer tractors run 3000. Last thing I want is for work to stop in the middle baling because a new leak has appeared. I am replacing all flex with new R2 hoses.

Steel-to-Flex coupling: as mentioned in earlier posts, and pictured, the coupling uses a ferrule over the steel tube. I gave up on finding a male coupling that I could simply crimp on flex hose and keep the same old ferrule and nut in place. I figured that if I bought complete couplings, I would just cut the steel tubing behind the original ferrule and use a new ferrule and new nut. A complete coupling includes crimp fitting, ferrule and nut. Sidebar: the needed male thread is 9/16-18. A 1/4" nominal NPT fitting is the same thread specs but tapered instead of straight threaded. A 1/4" NPT won't fit over the 3/8" hydraulic tube, which is a requirement. From DiscountHydraulicHose dot com, I ordered 27305-06-06 couplings. When they arrived, I inspected and found the ferrules to be a different shape:

Solution 01.png

I compared the new the hose fitting to the OEM hose fitting. I don't have fine measuring instruments, but I could not measure or detect any difference in specs between OEM and new - diameters, depth of bore, threads, etc.

Solution 02.png

I made up a new cylinder feed hose with a new crimp and a new tractor-to-baler lead hose with a new crimp. I connected up the tractor and tested with full pressure and could detect NO LEAKS at either fitting!!!! Yeah!

So that's my solution. For me, they are a perfect OEM replacement. And with all new 2-wire flex hoses, I will feel much better with my next baling job.