Nice surprise in the greenhouse

/ Nice surprise in the greenhouse #1  

mapper

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 1734E
I have been fighting a daily battle with aphids on my peppers this year. They seem to be impervious to most insecticides that I am willing to use on my food plants, so I have been washing them off every morning for since late April. A few days ago I noticed a small (1/8") worm looking thing on one of the pepper plants, thinking it was a small slug I picked it off and crushed it. I realized quickly that it was not a slug as it was not slimy, I then found another one, it didn't seem to be causing any damage, and with further observation there seemed to be a lot less aphids near it.
I knew it was not a ladybug larva, so I did a bit of research (love that Google), and was able to identify it. It is a gall midge larva or to be a bit more precise, maggot, as a gall midge is a type of fly. Most gall midges cause some damage to plants their maggots burrow in and cause galls to form. This one does not, it's called aphid eater and although I have only seen a few there must be a lot hiding because the aphid population is way down. I still have a few but now I am not having to hose off the plants every morning. My reading indicates that when they have a good food source they will actually reproduce in the maggot stage birthing new maggots without going through the adult stage and laying eggs.

/ Nice surprise in the greenhouse #2  
Maybe that will take care of the aphid problem but not cause other issues!

/ Nice surprise in the greenhouse
I tried a pyrethrum based insecticide, one made from tomato foliage tea, and garlic and onion puree. None of these made too much difference. The old tried and true wash em off method seem to at least keep them from overwhelming the plants. I welcome these natural predators with open arms!

/ Nice surprise in the greenhouse #4  
When aphids attacked my okra I was overrun with ants