Night Coyote Hunting In NC. Not yet but soon.

/ Night Coyote Hunting In NC. Not yet but soon. #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
On another thread, I think it was one about protecting chickens from foxes and coyotes, I mentioned that the NC WRC had a survey early this year or late last year about allowing the hunting of coyotes at night with a light. This is currently illegal in NC.

Today I got an email from the NC WRC with the following information regarding a regulation change.

N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission > News > News Article

Media Contact: Carolyn Rickard
919-707-0124
carolyn.rickard@ncwildlife.org

RALEIGH, N.C. (May 3, 2012) The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission took a step toward implementing a rule Thursday that allows for the taking of coyotes and feral swine by hunting on private lands at night with a light. The rule would also allow the hunting of feral swine and coyotes on public lands from ス hour after sunset to ス before sunrise with a light by permit only. Night hunting is one means of controlling localized populations of coyotes and feral swine, both of which are non-native to North Carolina and destructive to the landscape.
The new regulations are year-round, seven days a week. Hunting on Sundays is allowed only on private lands with archery equipment.
The new regulations are scheduled to take effect August 1, 2012 pending final approval by the Rules Review Commission. Currently, there is no closed season on either species, but hunting them at night is not allowed except by permit for feral swine.

Later,
Dan

/ Night Coyote Hunting In NC. Not yet but soon. #2  
I have the NCWRC Home Page on my Favorites Bar also, and after reading this disclosure, my first thought was "It's about Time". We live not far from you. Farmers are hiring trappers to help eradicate the explosion of feral hogs in our area. It doesn't take long for their population to get out of control. Feral hogs pose problems all over North Carolina - North Carolina Sportsman

/ Night Coyote Hunting In NC. Not yet but soon. #3  
Yahhh, for you..It is a challenge to go hog hunting..It makes you think twice about all moves...I was using IR scope and Binocs...I guess you will be using red spotlight..That works too...How do they feel about corn spilled on the ground while hunting??Good hunting, to you....

/ Night Coyote Hunting In NC. Not yet but soon.
We don't have a problem with hogs but the coyotes are all around us. We saw a coyote one morning trotting down our driveway. When he saw us he went into the woods, stopped and turned around to watch us. That was a bit too calm for me. From the reaction of the dog I think the coyotes have been around the house several times. I mean around the foundation of the house close. I have heard the coyotes or foxes being close as well.

Now that we have chickens the coyotes are a bigger concern. My Chicken Tank was built with coyotes and foxes in mind. I was a bit ticked off that after we saw the first coyote that close to the house that my only option was to shoot in daytime or SSS.

At least the state is finally listening.

Back in FLA the hogs are a huge problem. The hogs are huge too. Thankfully they are not on our place and I have not heard of people complaining in our county. They can do a huge amount of damage quickly and they are more dangerous than a coyote.

Years ago I was in FLA in a start wildlife area taking photos. I walked off the road into the pine woods which had areas between the Palmetto's. The Palmetto bushes grow very thick and will take over an area but in this place there was enough open space that you could walk in the woods. Think of very wide trails. There ground was torn up by hogs. BIG hogs. They had rooted down a good 12 inches. As I was walking in one area the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I scat you not. :laughing: The Palmettos were very thick and could easily hide a large bunch of large pigs. The only thing I had with me was a very large and heavy tripod. Not much of a weapon against a big pig.

With the hair on my neck up and the man on the left shoulder as well as the man on the right shoulder telling me to LEAVE, I did. :laughing: I went back to the road and to watch the sun set. I was about 100 yards down the road from where I got super nervous in the woods. :D I was looking away from that spot when for some reason I turned around to look behind me. Right where I had walked out of the woods I saw what I first thought was a big bear crossing the woods. :eek: Then I knew it was no bear but a big Big BIG PIG! :eek:

Just then a pickup drive by with dogs in the back. Illegal this was. Said dogs jumped out of the moving truck when they crossed the scent line of the Big Pig and where off running.

That Big Pig was what caused the hair to go up on my neck. The pig was certainly within feet of me in the Palmetto bushes. :eek:

If we get pigs we will be eating bacon. :D I do like wild pig. :laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Night Coyote Hunting In NC. Not yet but soon. #5  
Hey Dan...This is what's going on in our legislature in SC...It is in the fast track to be passed. Really, it is for recreational users. Guided hunts can make a little more money doing it at night, too. You can get depredation permits from DNR for your property and shoot them any way you want, now.

Section 50‑11‑715. Notwithstanding another provision of law, on private property, the landowner, or his lessee or agent with written permission, a valid hunting license, and the landowners contact information in his possession, may take coyotes, armadillos, and feral hogs during the nighttime hours from one hour after official sunset on the last day of February to one hour before official sunrise the first day of July of that same year. The method of such taking shall be with any legal firearm or arrow shooting device and may be with or without the aid of bait, electronic calls, artificial light, infrared, thermal or laser sighting devices, night vision devices, or any device aiding the identification or targeting of species. All center fire rifles must be fired from an elevated position at least ten feet from the ground when hunting between the hours of one hour after sunset until one hour before sunrise.

/ Night Coyote Hunting In NC. Not yet but soon. #6  
I have taken a few yotes thus far. IU saw one a few weeks ago while test driving a Jeep and I was right by the new Mall on Us1.

We need to perform high velocity lead innoculation asap and often as necessary and able. Their numbers will increase rapidly.

Any folks have a hawg problem I know of a few guys (me, my brother and brother in laws) that would gladly come out and have a day of hunting/shooting. LOVE them pig pickens....

/ Night Coyote Hunting In NC. Not yet but soon. #7  
I'm from the Elizabeth City area, South Mills to be exact. When I was young we hunted boars as they were called then in Gates County. Two of us were stuck on low limb of a tree for bout an hour in the fall of 1968. We had to start shooting pigs to finally scatter them or us to get back to the truck. Wild pigs are not new to eastern NC, but apparently they have exploded there now.