night hunting...green laser or green LED??

/ night hunting...green laser or green LED?? #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
I have an interest in getting a light to augment my scope for night hunting of hogs or coyotes. Hogs hunted over bait. Coyotes called up.
I've done lots of night hunting with regular spotlights, etc. some years ago.

I'm now reading about green lights, rifle mounted, which spook animals less and yet reach out and illuminate a target at 100 yards or beyond sufficiently for proper identification beyond simple eye shine. I often hunt in brush, but there are places which are wide open for several hundred yards as well. I doubt that I would ever take a shot beyond 50 yards, but it is sometimes good to know what is out there so allow preparation time for its arrival.

So, does anyone have experience and comments regarding pros and cons on green LED focused flashlights versus green laser designator lights?

My reading so far says:

green LED flashlights have less range, are less expensive, are more reliable when dropped and maintain focus better. I found some on ebay in the $25 to $100 range. green led hunting flashlight | eBay

Green laser designators have several power levels, go out to as much as 250 yards for eye shine, are more expensive and rather fragile if dropped, losing their focus because of crystal breakage/inherent design. I found some for around $100 on ebay Compact Tactical Green Laser Designator Illuminator for Pistol or Rifle USA items in Black Rifle Tactical store on eBay!

comments/recommendations??

I'm interested in staying under $125 for something that works at a good shooting distance or beyond and is reliable. I know an ND3 is supposedly wonderful, but not willing to spring for the price.

/ night hunting...green laser or green LED?? #2  
John, I have used a red in the past and played around with a green laser. I still prefer the red, the green laser has a visible beam, not that giving your position away is a huge concern hunting varmints, but it is distracting (for me) . Green lasers cost more because they are more complicated to manufacture and from what I've seen, you get what you pay for in buying lasers.

I found some good discussions on this topic at ar15.com, you may do some research there.

Personally for nighttime varmints, the most effective thing for me has been using a 500,000cp spotlight with a red lens cover (and 20' cord). Not to brag, but I used that combo to take a Bobcat at 245yards. Found him with the red over the lens (he hung up on a fence line, wouldn't come any further) I got set up with the rifle, then my buddy removed the red lens and blasted him with white....BOOM

BTW, have had poor results with rechargable high candle power lights

/ night hunting...green laser or green LED?? #3  
If you're looking for a cheap green LED light, try one of these. I mounted one on a rail on my AR-10 and it works fine out to about 75- 80 yards. If you want a pressure switch (that replaces the end cap switch), search that same sight and you'll find one. It has a 1" tube, so there are a lot of mounts that you can use to mount it to your rifle. I used this mount to attach it to my front rail.

/ night hunting...green laser or green LED??
OK, I did it. Ordered from Deal Extreme
2 of the green flashlights
2 pressure pads
3 mounts
4 batteries
2 battery chargers

Just over $72 shipped to my door, free shipping, who knows how long it will take, but I can be patient.

Thanks, gsganzer for your pointer, I had seen that light before, but didn't know if it was at all worthwhile. Seems you like it so I'll give it a try.
This should give me and my son night hunting capability at a very reasonable price.

I will have to say I was impressed by the Deal Extreme web site....seldom have I found one as easy to navigate or order from.

Western, I do have a high candlepower light with red lens I haven't used yet...seems that the combination of it and the green light may be just the ticket.

Thanks for both your input.

/ night hunting...green laser or green LED?? #5  
It'll take a week or two to get your lights. I ended up not using the pressure switch, the tail cap switch works just fine for how I have mine mounted. I also bought two of them. They are of better quality than I expected. I just used regular disposable batteries.

Your other issue will be your optics. I have a trijicon 3-9 x 40 accupoint on mine and it works great along with the light.

I did see that it accepts several different batteries, which was a plus in my book...yep, may have more than I really need, but better than than to be short...at these prices. Hoping that quality of mine is as good as yours is. Expect it will be.

/ night hunting...green laser or green LED?? #7  
TexasJohn, on the predator forums I have only read disappointing stories on the green "laser designators". And they are pricy as heck too. I have bought 2 "wicked lights" LED flashlights and have already used them at night. They make eyes visible at over 150 yards. Now what is interesting is that the LED modules on these are changeable, so you can buy red, white and green. The illumination from the white is the best and it also provides the longest battery life. Next down is the green, 4 vs 3 hours at high power. Red is the worst at 2 hours and shorter in range than either of the others.

So I may just get a white LED module for one of mine ans see how that works. I have a clamp type mount for one to my scope tube and I use the other to scan, so I don't have to sweep anything with the muzzle unintentionally.

Where I got mine Night Hunting - Brand - Wicked Lights - AllPredatorCalls.com
IMG_0165axx__75383_zoom__57511.1339448171.1280.1280.jpg

Agreed, I decided to pass on the laser designators for several reasons and go with a green LED light. I got a couple so one can be mounted on the gun and another hand held...good idea. I think that your lights have more lumen output than the ones I ordered and are a really great set up. My shots are going to be at 75 yards maximum and I'll likely get out night hunting only 4 or so times a year so they will be fine. Gsganzer says his (same one I ordered) works good at that range.

/ night hunting...green laser or green LED?? #10  
Check out this little review of some of the best lights for coyote hunting at night. Hope it helps!