No 90 Weight Gear Oil

/ No 90 Weight Gear Oil #1  

Florida2610D

Tractor
Yanmar 2610D
I went to Rural King, Tractor Supply, Walmart, and all the auto parts stores in my county. Nobody has 90 wt gear oil. Most of them have 75w-90 and 85w-90 but nobody has any SAE 90. Anybody else noticed this?

/ No 90 Weight Gear Oil #3  
What calls for straight 90w gear oil? Usually it's 75w90, 80w90, 75w140. What are you putting it in that wants that spec?

/ No 90 Weight Gear Oil #4  
What are you putting it in that wants that spec?
Probably in his Yanmar. But he doesn't say where it is. Maybe a desert? :unsure:

/ No 90 Weight Gear Oil #6  
I went to Rural King, Tractor Supply, Walmart, and all the auto parts stores in my county. Nobody has 90 wt gear oil. Most of them have 75w-90 and 85w-90 but nobody has any SAE 90. Anybody else noticed this?
I haven't seen straight 90 weight in 20-30 years. But I haven't looked for it either. There's nothing that calls for 90 wt that can't use 80w-90 or 75w-90.

/ No 90 Weight Gear Oil #7  
Pretty much any 90 weight appears to be short on the shelves, everyone has a quart but that seems to be it. Broke down and ordered online when I was trying to get enough to service my disc mower a few weeks ago. I usually keep a quart or two on hand, guess I gotta up that some.

/ No 90 Weight Gear Oil
Probably in his Yanmar. But he doesn't say where it is. Maybe a desert? :unsure:
What calls for straight 90w gear oil? Usually it's 75w90, 80w90, 75w140. What are you putting it in that wants that spec?
Yep, I use it in the front axle on the Yanmar. I am a creature of habit, I ended up using 75W-90. I just thought it was strange because Rural King usually has a stack of it in the 2 gallon jugs which makes it easy to service the axle. When I couldn't find it I went straight to tractor supply and they were out too. So then it became a mission. I drove around for over an hour looking for it before I just picked up two gallons of the 75W-90.

/ No 90 Weight Gear Oil #9  
Perfect. Now your axle will be covered with a lube that has a better temperature range, not that it matters much in your neck of the woods.

/ No 90 Weight Gear Oil #10  
you can get it via special order from NAPA.