No cost option for food plots

/ No cost option for food plots #1  

Missouri Pioneer

Gold Member
Tractor
LS U5030C w/FEL
Last year I rented a drill from the County and planted about five acres total of soybeans in three plots. Only one of the plots halfway turned out, the other two produced very little. I was very disappointed after spending hundreds of dollars and a number of hours. The plants that survived were decimated by the deer in a week once they discovered the better field.

I discussed this with a nationally known wildlife biologist who advises on all things deer, and he suggested that I find a nearby farmer who plants beans and leave it to a professional on a share basis. He said that the normal split is 1/3 landowner, 2/3 farmer, but told me I ought to sweeten the deal to get priority.

Well, he has sprayed once and is planning to plant/fertilize about 35 acres for me, of which 7 will be left standing for the deer. Meanwhile, the deer get to munch on the whole 35 acres until harvest. I will fence off some of that with a double electric fence until gun season.

Zero cost for me, good deal for him. Win-win, but we'll have to see how things turn out this fall.

Maybe this idea is an option for you.

Last edited:
   / No cost option for food plots #2  
I just planted two small plots of Mean Bean Crush by Evolved Harvest. Its supposed to have the forage type beans that can take heavy browsing. Did you use RoundUp beans or did you cultivate your plots for weed control?

/ No cost option for food plots #3  
Here in VT they have a time every fall when folks go out and shoot the excess deer population. Hundreds if not thousands of animals. I hear it is worse in NY state and Penn. **** things seem to just want to jump out at your vehicle and commit suicide if not murder.

I can't imagine a "food plot" seems like a waste of effort.

Just my perspective, I'm learning about yours.

/ No cost option for food plots #4  
Here in VT they have a time every fall when folks go out and shoot the excess deer population. Hundreds if not thousands of animals. I hear it is worse in NY state and Penn. **** things seem to just want to jump out at your vehicle and commit suicide if not murder.
Suicide? Most deer walk away after attempting to murder the car they jumped in front of (or into the side of).
My mother in law has had thousands of dollars worth of damage done to her car and the deer limped away each time.

Aaron Z

/ No cost option for food plots
Yes, he sprayed with generic RoundUp and will plant RoundUp ready ag beans, don't know the brand.

/ No cost option for food plots #6  
Sounds like an great arrangement. Congratulations on getting such good advice and being able to make it happen. Can you post some pictures, I'd be interested to see the results. I'm also curious about any updates and how it works out for you come hunting season!!

Eddie

/ No cost option for food plots #7  
Suicide? Most deer walk away after attempting to murder the car they jumped in front of (or into the side of).
My mother in law has had thousands of dollars worth of damage done to her car and the deer limped away each time.

Aaron Z
Both of my deer were laying on road after the attack

Beans planted last week, starting to come up. We're excited.

/ No cost option for food plots #9  
I lease 50+ acres to a local farmer, he planted beans this year. Farmer across the road planted corn and on the other side of my property, they planted wheat. I do not try to compete. I have a bush lot as well, so I hope to catch them transiting and loafing in my clover/alfalfa/brassica plots I put into small "bush plots".

Update: We had a great deal of rain and flooding in late June and early July, and the smallest field was flooded and had to be replanted. That field is doing so-so and those beans are about 6" high.

The other fields range in height from about 9" to knee high and some of the plants are starting to flower.

I haven't yet taken any pictures, because the beans are not taller than the (sprayed) dead weeds. When they get tall enough, say in about three weeks, I'll post some pictures here.

The deer are really chomping on the bean plants, more so in some fields than others.