No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

/ No Good Deed Goes Unpunished #1  

Surshot

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400 4x4
Neighbor had his New Holland get fried, field mice, so asked if I would come over and cut his fire breaks to dirt for a prescription controlled burn. I have a Heavy Duty Howse 20” x 7 1/2 disk set, sure, no problem. When do you need it done, tomorrow morning first light, ah….. OK.

Neighbor has 300 acres of pine trees. So it becomes very apparent, very quickly that a normal disking speed is not going to work, the Doctor is already in the house with fueled torches dripping fire. So I step up the pace, then I run into a narrow spot, followed by a low swampy area, and need to turn around quick, catch a 6”” oak and snap off a blade. Few nice words, then must turn again and catch the opposite blade on a silver leaf maple, snap, it is gone. Few more words of encourahement, to not get stuck in the swamp. Disk set is 7 1/2 ft wide, tractor is 6’ wide.
So today I go out and do a real detailed survey of the damage. A good bit more complicated than I first thought. A repair will require removing both rear disk sets, then pulling the disk blades off the axle in order to get to the first disk blade put onto the stack plus all bearings and spacers removed to get to each disk blade, end blade on the stack. Plus both 1 1/8” heavy square axles are bent, Before the 1 3/8” square tips. To straighten the Axle without cracking or breaking it would probably require a forge and a big anvil with a long flat surface, neither of which I have

Never done one of these disk blade set repairs before.
Looks like 2 new axles, 2 new blades, 2 new end bushings. Only if I can get the bearings and spacers off on both old axles. Otherwise R&R both rear, four blade sets.

Might be better off seeing if I can find two sets of four 20” blades that turn, R&R the two sets and use the old sets for fish trees in the pond.

Any advice?
061C789E-6FDC-4FFD-8667-397D537519F7.jpeg

/ No Good Deed Goes Unpunished #2  
Ouch! Your title was very appropriate. I hope that you get the harrow fixed without too much pain. I tried to replace the axles on my Dearborn and couldn't get the right length, so I gumped it together until I have time to cut the end off the old ones and weld bolts onto them.

I'm just a homeowner though, not trying to pay bills with my equipment.

/ No Good Deed Goes Unpunished #3  
Getting to the end disc likely isn't fun but taking a disc apart isn't as bad as it looks... take the two clamps off the frame holding the gang on, drop the whole gang (maybe get the end nut off first with the disc on the ground...) then start unstacking the assembly. My brother and I did a 14' wide disc twice in the last couple years (needed more spacers on one side and wouldn't go together unless pulled apart more...).

Straightening the shaft should only need a press, an anvil and hammer is more work than a press and calibrated eyeball...

/ No Good Deed Goes Unpunished #4  
Agree. I'vbe done dozens of these of all sizes. If you're going to do much of that kind of cutting you need something a bit more stout and made for firer breaks.

/ No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
I never thought about using my hydraulic jack operated 10 ton press. Thanks for the heads up. A couple of hard wood blocks and a couple of big C clamps should do the trick.(y)

/ No Good Deed Goes Unpunished #6  
Make sure every mating surface is clean when you go back together, or you'll never be able to keep the nut tight.

/ No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Good point, I was thinking of the nut issue today while mowing, been raining every day, finally caught a break in the weather. I have a Bridgeport mill, so figured a 1/8 or 3/16 hole drilled through and a carter pin would solve the hold it tight issue. I can measure the rod end to nut face before I remove the nut.

I sure want to have all of the parts before I take it apart.

However, the new Howse stuff sure does not look like the old Howse stuff. Looks more like a knock off on the internet. Need to see it in person.

/ No Good Deed Goes Unpunished #8  
You can cut the axle almost in two, straighten, weld. Ive changed several disc axles. Put all new blades on too. Broke axles, I use one to tamp fence post dirt. Finally found the piece that broke off, years ago, so I'll weld back together. We have a big 8' offset disc that has big axles. It's kinda a pain to change blades out. Mainly because disc blades have kinda worn the corners of axle. So it's jiggle wiggle bang bang to get it apart and back together. Plus you have to fight all eight feet both ways. Never took the gangs off. 14' disc isn't that bad, it has the smaller axles like yours.

/ No Good Deed Goes Unpunished #9  
Every time I do a 'favor' for a neighbor, it winds up costing me money so I'm never home now.

/ No Good Deed Goes Unpunished #10  
I just had to replace a axle recently, the nut was held in place with a roughly 1/16 inch thick steel plate, 2 inchs wide by 4 inches long folded to keep the nut from rotating. The plate is trapped by the last keeper which has ears. Agri supply is a great resource as long as you can search multiple pages of images or walk the store in person to compare old parts to new.
Screenshot_20220808-052647_Firefox.jpg