no lights on a 4310

/ no lights on a 4310 #1  

dieselade

Bronze Member
Tractor
5225 & 3720
fuse is blowing, no lights of any kind...is there a common ground for all lights that i can check and where is it, or do i have to check each light. it is the 30amp fuse that keeps blowing.

/ no lights on a 4310 #2  
I had a 4310. You might want to check in the front of the tractor where the lights are. It sounds as if there is a wire pinched (to ground) that is causing the fuse to blow. It wouldn't be a loss of ground.

/ no lights on a 4310 #3  
fuse is blowing, no lights of any kind...is there a common ground for all lights that i can check and where is it, or do i have to check each light. it is the 30amp fuse that keeps blowing.

I have a 4210, it's easy for the headlight wiring to get pinched and/or frayed the way it is routed by the front grille or side panels. I doubt if your fuse blowing is caused by a bad ground, you more likely have a short someplace, perhaps in the light switch itself, which is controlled by the 30 amp fuse you say is blowing. As I interpret the fuse panel diagram in my owners manual, the 30 amp fuse controls current to the light switch, and there are secondary fuses for headlights, tail lights, flashers, etc. Does turning the light switch to any position blow the fuse? Can you operate the turn signals without blowing the fuse for the light switch? Clarify the issue, please.

/ no lights on a 4310 #4  
I had a 4310. You might want to check in the front of the tractor where the lights are. It sounds as if there is a wire pinched (to ground) that is causing the fuse to blow. It wouldn't be a loss of ground.

Reading your post made me wonder, since there is a second fuse for the headlights, (20 amp) if the headlights are shorting out, wouldn't that blow the 20 amp headlight fuse instead of the 30 amp light switch fuse?

I detest electrical problems...it's always a huge PIB to trace them down.

/ no lights on a 4310
should have been more clear....i never use the headlights , only flashers. no lights work at all. no flashers, turn sigs, or headlilghts. i`ll check for a pinched wire up front.

/ no lights on a 4310 #6  
A good way I've found to locate a short that is causing the fuse to blow is to rig up a 12v light bulb that can be plugged in place of the fuse. When shorted out, the light is lit letting you trace some wires through the system to locate the short. A light socket with pigtails works best.

Then when tracing and moving wires, or disconnecting wires, watching the light will let you know right away where the short is at. Saves a lot of time and frustration replacing fuses.