No tornados here, thankfully

/ No tornados here, thankfully #32  
I'm hearing EF3 with these twisters. An EF5 gets to the point of de-barking whatever trees are still standing. I had family in the June 7 1984 one in Barneveld WI. and it looked like a giant flail mower went through. One thing I remember is all the grass was gone down to bare dirt. It was in a VERY small area compared to these ones.

The latest twister damage is mind-boggling though. The total area of destruction..........!

Last edited:
   / No tornados here, thankfully #33  
There have been reports that this one tornado was on the ground for over 200 miles. It so, it would make it the longest single tornado track in history. It will that the National Weather Service a while to verify.

/ No tornados here, thankfully #34  
The 1925 TriState holds the record at 219 miles as I recall. The track they're looking at here is closer to 250 miles, but they haven't determined if it was a single track, or several combined.

This is not Mayfield's first. They were hit hard several years ago, but no where near this extent.

And in keeping with the board theme, the JD Ag dealership is just across the street from the candle place making alll the news.

/ No tornados here, thankfully #37  
It looked like the post office took a hit too.

/ No tornados here, thankfully #38  
December used to be way outside tornado season. Let's dump a bunch of thermal energy into the gulf and introduce it to an arctic front. It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature.

/ No tornados here, thankfully #39  
December used to be way outside tornado season.
Not true. December has a rather violent history averaging 24 and back to at least 1916:

What was unusual here was the cluster farther north than typical (but not unheard of) and the greater intensity. So far I've seen at least 5 or 6 EF3's confirmed.

/ No tornados here, thankfully #40  
All good at home, thankfully.