North Carolina, Boone & Blowing Rock

/ North Carolina, Boone & Blowing Rock #1  

dullpain

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 4 WD w/ FEL, Kioti CK4010SE HST, 21' Flatbed Gooseneck Trlr.
Taking a trip to NC in Oct.. Any suggestions as to activities, sights, shops , etc. that are must see, don't miss in the Boone / Blowing Rock area.

thanks

/ North Carolina, Boone & Blowing Rock #2  
Head south on the Blue Ridge Parkway to see the leaves change color. :D Stop off at Mount Mitchell along the way.

Go to Biltmore in Asheville and see Vanderbilts "house". I think its the largest privately owned house in the US. Its amazing to see how much money this guy had and see how the super rich lived. There is a winery on the site now as well as a hotel or two.

There is also a Folk Craft store nearby that is interesting as well.

I guess about halfway between Boone and Asheville is Pinelands. There is a school there that teach crafts like pottery, blacksmithing, and glassblowing. I don't know if they have a store/museum but I would guess they would.

Linville falls should be seen as well. There is an easy walk to see the falls from the top and a long walk to see them from the bottom.

The Blue Ridge parkway has lots of views to stop and see. The Devils Courthouse is interesting as is Mount Mitchell. I'm pretty sure you get to Linville Falls from the parkway as well.

Later,
Dan

/ North Carolina, Boone & Blowing Rock #3  
I used to race dirt bikes back in the day. (Enduro/hare scrambles/GNCC) There were plenty races in the North/South Carolina area. My favorite attraction in North Carolina was......North Carolina. That is one incredable place! If I had to choose a place to live other than where I live now, it'd be North Carolina.

/ North Carolina, Boone & Blowing Rock #5  
Myself not being a people person, stay away from the area on the weekends whatever you do.

Be up in that area every week for work during the weekday, no problems other that App state students around, but went up on a weekend to Blowing Rock and couldn't even find a place to park!

Linville gorge one of the hardest whitewater steep creeks on the east coast, worth the hike if your up to it in that area. Biltmore is south on the Parkway, couple of hours (speed limit on the parkway is not 55!). Again, go during the week, you can tour Biltmore usually with no lines. On the weekend, you could have a line just to get into the "mansion" (sp?).

If you're around Asheville, head 70 miles or so to Greenville S.C, one of the coolest towns I've been to on a weekend. Like a big block party with great restaurants.

412 south to Wilkesboro, home of Junior Johnson, old Wilkesboro motor speedway there as well, not much to see though. Next county over (Yadkin)is big wine "country", lots of vineyards, hit 52 south and you can tour Richard Childress's vinyards along with his racing museum.

Up in Galax Va. off the parkway some great antique shops (my wife made me go!).

Funny how places change along with your views when you actually live there and are not visitng.

/ North Carolina, Boone & Blowing Rock #6  
Up in the Boone area check out Grandfather Mountain and the swingin bridge, Linville Gorge is great hiking with some of the most diverse botanical species in the US. Also check out Linville Caverns - well worth the visit.

Head over to Asheville via the Parkway, stopping at Mt. Mitchell and other various vistas along the way. While near Asheville, check out the Biltmore House as well as All Soul's Episcopal Church in Biltmore - both built by George Vanderbilt in early 1900's. Stay at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville for a real treat.

Take I26 to Hendersonville about 20 mi. S of Aville and a very nice small town. Dive 64 E to Bat Cave, Chimney Rock, and Lake Lure stopping in Edneyville to load up on fresh apples. Then take 76 back over to Old Fort and back to Boone.

Take your trout fishing gear, as well as , bikes, and/or camping gear as there are many great places around the area to use any or all of your gear.

Keep in mind the Parkway will be slow and crowded in Oct with all the leaflookers - so allow plenty of time to get from A to B

If you have time head up to Cherokee and then over the mountains to Gatlinburg, stopping at Cades Cove and other spots along the way.

Be sure and grab local papers in the areas you visit as there are many craft fairs and music festivals happening during this time too.

Enjoy the trip - it will be a great one

I

/ North Carolina, Boone & Blowing Rock #7  
You could stop in at my parents' house for a tour. My Mom would be sure to give you one. They live in Boone, the tour would be fast.

John M

/ North Carolina, Boone & Blowing Rock #8  
If you're going to need accomodations, better make them now. That's around peak leaf time and the the rates will double, that is if you can find a room at all.

Aside from that, a trip across the parkway is hard to beat. Take time to pull off at some of the many overlooks you'll come to. Some of the most beautiful scenery and facinating topography you'll ever see. I'm lucky, my son lives just off the parkway, gives me a reason to head up there a couple times a year.

Actually now would be a great time to be on the parkway. Not too crowded and everything in full foliage. And while we sit down here simmering in our own grease at 97 degrees, it probably mid - upper 70's there.

/ North Carolina, Boone & Blowing Rock #9  
dieselsmoke1 said:
And while we sit down here simmering in our own grease at 97 degrees, it probably mid - upper 70's there.

That's one thing I learned fast living an hour away from that area. Could be mid 40's or 50's in Winston, then drive up to the Boone/Blowing Rock area and they have 5" of snow with some nice cold winds.

Looked at moving there when I first came to N.C, but at 20-30k and acre, well... and now it seems West Jefferson and Sparta is now getting the "FLorida summer crowd" which is driving land rates up in those areas as well.

/ North Carolina, Boone & Blowing Rock #10  
Very true....and sad. I had once envisioned a few acres on the New River some day to kick back on, but now it ain't gonna happen.