Tractor Sizing Nothing-Electronic... 4x4... cabin.. 6-cyl?

/ Nothing-Electronic... 4x4... cabin.. 6-cyl? #1  

fitterski

Gold Member
Tractor
1987 Cat-426, 1991 Deutz-Dx-6.05, 2019 Husqvarna 2xHP
Just fishing for a general purpose 4x4 tractor that 'could' take a Cummins-5.9. I'd like the smallest frame but not so small that a bigger engine will just spin the wheels under load. 400 lbs of torque is pretty standard for this engine at around 1600 rpm and I would want to be able to actually use it. I saw an Oliver-1955, a Case-985XL, and a Case-5230 but I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to tractors. These seem a little too high, is there a fad to build them much higher than they need to be or am I just imagining things? The JD-50XY would be closer in size. I'm looking for the latest possible dates/models withOUT digital services of ANY kind and preferably withOUT any electronic services even. I know there are lots of knowledgable people here with invaluable experience who can cite a short list just like that, me I have to bury myself in data sheets for days to get some perspective :)

TIA

Update 2022-Oct-28
================

It's been a while, I'm slow at times :)

Looking at a CIH-5130 next week, heard some horror stories about shuttle-switches and speed-shift modules. I don't need ANY fancy stuff, can I operate manually without these? I know prices are going through the roof, just redid my Cat-426 cabin April to Sept
2022-04-19-pepine-cab-off-crop.png

then almost roled it in a ravine during shakedown trials:

Last edited:
   / Nothing-Electronic... 4x4... cabin.. 6-cyl? #2  
What's wrong with the engine that might have been in the tractor? Why Cummins?

Tractors are not low-riders! lol Although I have to admit, looking at some of the SCUTS, you might think so. Wheels you might think better suited on a shopping cart!

Traction and ground clearance are important factors. If it's a FAD, then it's a hundred or so year old FAD.

/ Nothing-Electronic... 4x4... cabin.. 6-cyl? #3  
Just fishing for a general purpose 4x4 tractor that 'could' take a Cummins-5.9. I'd like the smallest frame but not so small that a bigger engine will just spin the wheels under load. 400 lbs of torque is pretty standard for this engine at around 1600 rpm and I would want to be able to actually use it. I saw an Oliver-1955, a Case-985XL, and a Case-5230 but I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to tractors. These seem a little too high, is there a fad to build them much higher than they need to be or am I just imagining things? The JD-50XY would be closer in size. I'm looking for the latest possible dates/models withOUT digital services of ANY kind and preferably withOUT any electronic services even. I know there are lots of knowledgable people here with invaluable experience who can cite a short list just like that, me I have to bury myself in data sheets for days to get some perspective :)

TIA

Why not just buy a CaseIH 1896, 2096, 5130, 5140, 5140, or White Farm Equipment 100, 120, 125, 140, 145 (or one of the others that I probably missed) that already have the 5.9 in them, seems like less work :)

/ Nothing-Electronic... 4x4... cabin.. 6-cyl?
What's wrong with the engine that might have been in the tractor?

nothing

Why Cummins?

I don't see myself starting a relationship with a tractor that doesn't have a zero-hour engine. I'm building 2 5.9's and I really like that engine. Got the setup now to do more so I probably will do more, that's all. It's a little less interesting when you have to 'learn' a different engine.

Tractors are not low-riders! lol Although I have to admit, looking at some of the SCUTS, you might think so. Wheels you might think better suited on a shopping cart!
Traction and ground clearance are important factors. If it's a FAD, then it's a hundred or so year old FAD.

I look at some older ones like say a Ford 9 even with a fairly large engine and FWD and could still build a cabin on it .....total 8 feet high or less. Don't hold me to these numbers, I'm only trying to illustrate a point. I can't build a shed for my Cat-426 because it's so darn high. I can see the need for huge clearance ujder row-crop tractors but GP?

Why not just buy a CaseIH 1896, 2096, 5130, 5140, 5140, or White Farm Equipment 100, 120, 125, 140, 145 (or one of the others that I probably missed) that already have the 5.9 in them, seems like less work :)

Those options would top the list of course. I looked at a couple of Olivers, gonna check these out too, thanks!

/ Nothing-Electronic... 4x4... cabin.. 6-cyl? #6  
Kind of an odd approach. Like you don't want to endure certain hardships bu then want to undertake the herculean task of putting a non standard engine in a tractor. I have modified a few things and it's a giant PITA with so many unforseen complications and expense. No more for me! I am going to try my best to finish these projects I started. Several friends have built cabs and that too is a BIG job with all kinds of troubles.

All I can say is. . . Good Luck.

/ Nothing-Electronic... 4x4... cabin.. 6-cyl? #7  
Kind of an odd approach. Like you don't want to endure certain hardships bu then want to undertake the herculean task of putting a non standard engine in a tractor. I have modified a few things and it's a giant PITA with so many unforseen complications and expense. No more for me! I am going to try my best to finish these projects I started. Several friends have built cabs and that too is a BIG job with all kinds of troubles.

All I can say is. . . Good Luck.

Agreed. Replacing parts with stuff that wasn’t intended for that is a nightmare.

/ Nothing-Electronic... 4x4... cabin.. 6-cyl? #8  
And then you end up with a Rube-Goldberg (I Love That Term) that despite your countless hard work and investment, isn't worth much IF saleable at all.

Ok, I've done many automotive swaps and can only agree with the negative issues raised, just keep in mind that the swap was not the objective but rather the way to get to it. As of now any swap is on hold because I have seen many tractors with this engine already installed. As a result the rephrased search will focus on the smallest of such makes/models. Only in the improbable event that this would still result in a tractor that is too big will I *then* look at smaller possible swap candidates. Thanks to slantsix for the numbers!

/ Nothing-Electronic... 4x4... cabin.. 6-cyl? #10  

Thank you for saving me from typing that same list.