Flail Mower Novatractor Flail Mower

/ Novatractor Flail Mower #1  

audsp98

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3550 HST
I ordered it on Tuesday and it arrived today. I got the MFZ175.

Plan on trying it out tomorrow.

IMG_4635.JPGIMG_4634.JPG

/ Novatractor Flail Mower #2  
Interesting unit. The picture with the mower still in the box. What do the hydraulics do on the unit??

Ha - I caught a single statement on their site - hydraulics are for side shift of the unit.

Last edited:
   / Novatractor Flail Mower #3  
Which type of blades?

/ Novatractor Flail Mower #6  
Got another question. I see that the unit can shift right and left. What I can not see is how the secondary shaft (going from PTO shaft out to chain drive) works. Does the secondary shaft expand and collapse just like the PTO shaft??

/ Novatractor Flail Mower #7  
This one seems that the gearbox is fixed and the PTO shaft will move sideways. Over here in Portugal it's common to use like a female hex bushing inside the gearbox and then just a hex shaft going to the flail. This will allow for side movement without flexing the PTO shaft even more.

/ Novatractor Flail Mower #8  
They are hammer style blade with some serration to help with the cutting.

View attachment 565442

=========================================================================================

I see that this flail mower has recutting bars on the flail mower shroud. If you plan on doing real heavy mowing you will have to decide whether to remove them and mow or pull the pins and use a piece of small round bar stock to hold them in place as any heavy impacts from thick brush will dislodge the spring hair pins and the recutting bar or bars will fall out and you will lose them and they will be hard to find in deep brush without a metal detector.

/ Novatractor Flail Mower
Got another question. I see that the unit can shift right and left. What I can not see is how the secondary shaft (going from PTO shaft out to chain drive) works. Does the secondary shaft expand and collapse just like the PTO shaft??

Here's a video of me sliding it back and forth. The PTO shaft is not attached yet but it will move side to side with the mower.

/ Novatractor Flail Mower #10  
This one seems that the gearbox is fixed and the PTO shaft will move sideways. Over here in Portugal it's common to use like a female hex bushing inside the gearbox and then just a hex shaft going to the flail. This will allow for side movement without flexing the PTO shaft even more.

Hi Pedro, what does it look like? Is there photos or video? Interesting to know how that mechanism work.