Now much slower in reverse - suggestions?

/ Now much slower in reverse - suggestions? #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
Kubota L3410 HST. If you have been in the seat long enough and pay attention you can sense when things are not running quite the same. I have noticed very recently that in reverse it is considerably slower than before at the same/usual RPMs and in midrange. I am not totally sure, but going forward seems to be the same, but possible that has slowed as well - just not as noticeable. So - full depression in reverse and very slow - like a loss of power.

I checked to see if the back end of the treadle pedal was obstructed - as that has happened before with twigs, debris. . . No issue there.

I don't think there has been a noticeable loss of power using hydraulics. I did notice yesterday that the tractor heat gauge was a bit higher than normal with moderate work. I have always marveled how I could really work the tractor out in considerable heat and have the heat gauge not even move past about a third of the gauge - yesterday it did not get very near to hot but did get to the mid point- so a small change there from the usual. The fluid level there at the top. I only mention about the heat gauge in case it might be important - more information is better. I checked and changed the air filter (it was not that dirty), and will change the oil tomorrow as it appears to be the time to do that - oil level fine but oil dirty so maybe past the time to do that. I need to pick up some oil in town. Hydraulic fluid level is fine, and seems to be clean.

So, just wondering what might be causing this. I will be on the tractor again in a few days and will try to see what else I can detect - sounds, speed going forward at different RPMs, speed of hydraulics and whatever I can think of, but before then - I welcome suggestions. Thanks for reading this.

/ Now much slower in reverse - suggestions? #2  
Clean/blow out the hydraulic oil cooler? Change the hydraulic filter(s). When was the last time you changed the hydraulic oil?

/ Now much slower in reverse - suggestions?
Clean/blow out the hydraulic oil cooler? Change the hydraulic filter(s). When was the last time you changed the hydraulic oil?
Thanks Alexpops for responding. I checked my files, and I think it was in October 2019. Damn, time flies. I cannot find the receipts for that as I also had the front seals replaced then - I wanted to check the hours that were on the tractor at that time. Currently about 1400 hours on the tractor - those, since 2003. Anyway, I will change all fluids and filters. I will have to see what is incolved with cleaning and blowing out the oil cooler to see if it is within my skill set. If not, there is a mobile tractor-service guy near here who can help me with that and I need him to come up for some other issues as well. Thanks for the advice.

/ Now much slower in reverse - suggestions? #6  
I will have to see what is incolved with cleaning and blowing out the oil cooler to see if it is within my skill set.

Same as cleaning/blowing out dust/grass from the radiator. Get behind it with a blow gun/hose & clean the fins of anything preventing airflow or heat transfer. Maybe a little dawn dish soap. 3 years may be time to change the hydraulic oil & all the filters. My only experience with HST is my Zero turn & it's got 3 drain points & filters. Tranny, & each wheel motor.

Same as cleaning/blowing out dust/grass from the radiator. Get behind it with a blow gun/hose & clean the fins of anything preventing airflow or heat transfer. Maybe a little dawn dish soap. 3 years may be time to change the hydraulic oil & all the filters. My only experience with HST is my Zero turn & it's got 3 drain points & filters. Tranny, & each wheel motor.
Thanks again. I have changed the oil and all the filters before so I can and will do that. And I have from time to time blown out the radiator with compressed air so I should also be able to do that as you advise. Advice appreciated.

/ Now much slower in reverse - suggestions? #8  
In 2005 I had a boss that bought an l3400 new. Shortly after getting it, it lost speed and power going forward. After taking it to the dealership and having someone scold me for burning up the clutch (in an hst tractor!) they took it apart to find that one of the internal castings had cracked allowing fluid to bypass. Hopefully its nothing that serious but it worth keeping in mind as a possibility.

its worth mentioning that the coolers will accumulate debris that wont just blow out over time. Obviously a power washer is an absolute no but a garden hose with a spray nozzle will get anything built up out of there without bending fins.

/ Now much slower in reverse - suggestions? #9  
First and foremost, I'm no expert, and not as sharp on hst drive as I'd like to be...

But I recall reading up on my friends L4310 hst (years ago) about filter/fluid changes, and changing a replaceable filter, cleaning a reusable screen filter, and doing that 2x as often as fluid.

It might be as simple as clogged filters. HST depends on fluid flow.

Good luck...

First and foremost, I'm no expert, and not as sharp on hst drive as I'd like to be...

But I recall reading up on my friends L4310 hst (years ago) about filter/fluid changes, and changing a replaceable filter, cleaning a reusable screen filter, and doing that 2x as often as fluid.

It might be as simple as clogged filters. HST depends on fluid flow.

Good luck...
Thanks to everyone. Later this week I will have some time and will pick up oil and hydraulic fluid in town and change all fluids and filters and the screen, and blow out the oil cooler. Hopefully, that will resolve the issue.