Now my B6100 has power steering :)

/ Now my B6100 has power steering :) #1  

KubotainNH

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100
Hi guys, just finished adding power steering to my B. Running it off the PB of the FEL. I removed the hose that went from the PB back to the block which sends it to the 3PH. I then put the power steering setup inline. The only issue I noticed is that when using full loader, the loader gets all the pressure but when messing around it did not seem to be an issue. This setup was under $400 counting the 2 - 1/4" hoses I got from TSC. I may still add a couple 90 degree fittings to get the hoses where I want them on the cylinder side. Bostonrats and I got our cylinders together to try and get the best price. I can't complain at all with it, and it's well worth adding. You can see Bostonrats info hear: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/138014-power-steering-90-minutes.html Attached is some pics, the best place to mount it was on the step which I reinforced. It's a pretty tight spot.

Attachments

• DSCF0415.JPG
    DSCF0415.JPG
    409.2 KB · Views: 3,289
  • DSCF0416.JPG
    DSCF0416.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 4,599
  • DSCF0417.JPG
    DSCF0417.JPG
    410.7 KB · Views: 3,960
  • DSCF0418.JPG
    DSCF0418.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 3,615
   / Now my B6100 has power steering :) #3  
Now I'm jealous. Some day, when I grow up i would be happy with HST. But until then, I'll settle for my old six speed. I would love to have someone explain to be the PB circuit, and how/if I have that on my FEL.

I would love to plug into that to give me two ports to use a rear splitter without doing major plumbing.

OTOH, the FEL does have quick connects. Are quickconnects a industry standard? Mine are stamped "Sanyo" Is that a modern brand? The loader valve is a two valve "sanyo" brand also.

You took Larrys advice.... get 'r done! congrats.

/ Now my B6100 has power steering :) #4  
Man, that looks sweet! I've just been playing around in the driveway, haven't even started really using my B7100 and I already wish it had power steering! I'd put this mod on my short list, but it's already too long!

I noticed you and Bostonrats mounted your cylinders differently, do you need to find the center of the "stroke" then work on the mounting? Or is it not as critical as I'm thinking?

I like the way you added the reinforcing plate there. Are you able to replace the "toe guard" thing over the pitman arm?

Do they include some kind of instructions?

I'm hatching a devious power steering plan:

I'll make sure the wife and daughter get plenty of seat time mowing this year, dropping the hints here and there about this cool power steering mod I've been reading about.......

heh, heh, heh........

I'll be joining you next year!

Great work, really clean mounting, what a great design too!

Jim

/ Now my B6100 has power steering :)
Willl: No flex whatsoever. I added 2 pieces of angle iron and a thick plate under there. It used to flex when stepping on it but no longer.

cappys tractor: It's definetely a worthy mod for anyone who does allot of fel work. From what I can see, the PB allows all the pressure out when not using the loader, maybe the same as open center? When using the loader, the extra fluid is dumped out a different hose. I don't know anything about quick connects but I know there's posts about it.

yeagisyeag: Bostonrat's L185 has much more space for mounting than does the B, I wanted to make sure the tire did not hit the cylinder. It rubs a bit on full turn but not a big deal. On the toe guard, I removed it when I had to replace the clutch pressure plate and never put it back on. Depending on the tractor, it may need to be centered more but there is more than enough stroke for the B6100/7100 so I went with it as close to the front arm as possible and out of the clutch pedals way. It comes with some basic instructions but not specific to the tractor model. Good plan by the way ;)

Thanks for the kudos.

/ Now my B6100 has power steering :) #6  
Nice job Mike!! How is it without a priority valve? Also, did you notice the "should I paint my JD" thread that got about 10,000 hits.... Please start a "should I paint my Kubota" thread. My vote is yes. I know you have NOTHING to do. :)

Unless the priority valve is before the loader I see no reason for it with this setup. I didn't want to lose any FEL speed so I went this way. Does make me wonder what it would be like with the p/s before the loader. I may have to try it, easy enough to move.

Paint, bah. I would have to clean it before I could paint it. :(

/ Now my B6100 has power steering :) #8  
did you have to limit the stroke on the cylinder? or does it just hit the hard stops? I see the website has listed the stroke as 8" and I think my b6200 would require about 5" stroke before hitting the hard stops.

It hits the stops on the tractor and I still have cylinder to spare. This setup has a built in relief valve so when you hit the right/left stops the relief kicks in and there's no harm done to the steering components. The cylinder is longer than needed but it does the job.

/ Now my B6100 has power steering :) #10  
Going back in time about a year to this discussion:
The supplier seems to be out of stock on most of the power steering components. It brings up the question, at least in my mind, whether a person could jury rig a steering cylinder with a mounted valve.
The valve would appear to be a 4-way with the pressure and return and the A and B cylinder ports. My question is what makes the valve special such as tapered lands on the spool to make smooth the operation, built in flow control etc.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Nelson