NY finds a way to hurt residents yet again.

/ NY finds a way to hurt residents yet again. #1  

JasG

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2650,
Seeing how we have had a lot of posts about what is the right way or wrong way to have trucks and trailer registered, tied down, axle loads etc. I came across this thread on another board of guys mostly heavy haulers talking about the crap they have to go through. Some of them discuss fines etc. Surprise surprise NY has found a way again to suck the life blood out of people(they are talked about the most). NY has changed the way they register trucks and trailers, and you can be good in NY, but overloaded in PA or any state that the weight is registered on the truck only.

Granted not everything on the net is true, but I though some here might enjoy the differnt veiws. There are actually several threads here at this place that discuss the stuff people have to go through. Here in NY it doesn't matter if you are a pro and a home owner with a CUT, they still stop and check you.

DOT INSPECTIONS - insane - Heavy Equipment Forums

DOT---Dep't of Trouble - Heavy Equipment Forums

/ NY finds a way to hurt residents yet again. #2  
That's New York for you, they look for everything and anything to generate revenue to the states coffers.Starting April 1st. 2010 ALL new registration renewals will cost you $25.00 per vehicle. Governor says we need new plates and it will generate 130 million dollars, never mind that almost all DMV commissioners are against it.And to top it all on-line petitions have captured 100,000 + signatures against it. Legal way to steal from the residents of N.Y. Every truck, boat, Rv, motorcycle, trailer ATV or anything that needs a plate will be charged. God I hate New York State, and I live here, for now!!
DevilDog

/ NY finds a way to hurt residents yet again. #3  
Face it, NYS milks the life blood out of you. What a beautiful state, away from the big NYC money pit. I live here, till I retire. Who can afford to be here when they retire? More people left NYS last year than any other. I'm surprised they don't tax me for typing this:confused: Sorry for the rant, but boy, do they tax!

/ NY finds a way to hurt residents yet again. #4  
Face it, NYS milks the life blood out of you. What a beautiful state, away from the big NYC money pit. I live here, till I retire. Who can afford to be here when they retire? More people left NYS last year than any other. I'm surprised they don't tax me for typing this:confused: Sorry for the rant, but boy, do they tax!

Now you are going to get it. They will tax you for moving!;)

Chris

/ NY finds a way to hurt residents yet again. #5  
If you don't like it move out of NY!

/ NY finds a way to hurt residents yet again.
If you don't like it move out of NY!

If I lose my job with my current employer I will be out of here so fast the weather men will think the breeze is weather front. I only stayed after college due to I was helping take care of my grand mothers so they wouldn't have to go in a home. My last one passed last fall. The company I am currently with has been struggling for a few years, a lot in part to the state and it's tax's. NY is #1 or 2 in almost every tax out there, property, sales, gas tax. Now they want to ban heavy haulers from some roads due to people with money don't like them on "there" roads.

It really is sad, I love the state, the people, even the weather. At one time NY was the "Empire State", Brockway Trucks, Kodak, IBM, Carrier Corp, IR, Emerson power, Smith Corona. I could go one for a while listing companies that have or are in the process of leaving. Here in upstate the population is declining and has for 20 plus years.

Now we have governor who reminds me of Mel Brooks from blazing saddles. A system so corrupt and against the common person I don't want to stay. Last year they were going to cut the state budget to the "bone". I may not be the sharpest tool in the drawer, but when you go from 121 billion to 132 billion, I think that is an increase. Now this garbage with the weights, which forces people to either over pay for registering a truck and trailer, or risk getting tickets in other states.

As I stated in other posts NY keeps changing the DOT regs the past few years I believe just to write tickets to bring in more money. I started the post so if this is the case and members from other states come here they know what they are in for.

/ NY finds a way to hurt residents yet again. #7  
There is a whole lot LESS sympathy for truckers who complain about DOT inspections here in Connecticut since a truck 'accident' a few years ago in Avon killed several people and maimed others. The truck had no brakes coming down Avon Mountain and demolished several cars at the bottom. Its jaw-dropping what inspectors find. Trucks 20 or 30,000 lbs overweight, all kinds of really defective equipment including brakes.

The company I work for has over 40 trucks running in CT, MA, NY & RI. The cost of keeping them safe is just part of the cost of doing business.

/ NY finds a way to hurt residents yet again. #8  
Over the years, I ran a lot of NYS miles including not to long ago two year stint that had me there five nights a week. 81, 90 west, 17W and 390 mostly.

NY does do a lot of inspecting. I was running for a company known to use decent equipment. Other than the occasional level one though, mostly they just gave us the eyeball and waved us by. I got paid for sitting there but many drivers do not. Even so, I have no issues with a reasonable cop doing a reasonable inspection. I do have an issue with one going out of his way to fine comb a new or really clean rig just to prove that he is the man. And that does happen.

I remember hearing some talk about wanting NY plated tractors to run NY plated trailers even though the rental trailers many outfits run were plated elsewhere.

/ NY finds a way to hurt residents yet again.
There is a whole lot LESS sympathy for truckers who complain about DOT inspections here in Connecticut since a truck 'accident' a few years ago in Avon killed several people and maimed others. The truck had no brakes coming down Avon Mountain and demolished several cars at the bottom. Its jaw-dropping what inspectors find. Trucks 20 or 30,000 lbs overweight, all kinds of really defective equipment including brakes.

The company I work for has over 40 trucks running in CT, MA, NY & RI. The cost of keeping them safe is just part of the cost of doing business.

If you read the posts I linked to you would see very few if any of the posts were about real safety inspections, but about BS tickets just to make money for the state. I don't think anyone here would argue with real safety inspections, how does NY changing the way a truck and trailer are registered (and make it different than most states) keep us safe? Or trucks running through a certain town being stopped all the time due to people not liking them run through there towns main highways, not town roads but real highways?

I to am glad NY and other states are cracking down on unsafe loads and equipment to, I dive on these roads to. That being said one of the guys on there said he is a DOT inspector and at times is not happy with things he has been asked to do. The bottom line is it is going from a safety issue to a money making issue.

Does your company have trailers or just trucks? If you have trailers how do you register them in more than one state now that NY is different? Most states the trailers I don't think have weight to them.