O/A Torch Popping

/ O/A Torch Popping #1  

Underdog57

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4041H
My O/A torch has a steady pop...pop...pop with the preheat flame and from what I have read here and at WW the cutting tip is not seated properly and is leaking oxy. I have cleaned everything including 2 different tips and still pops.

My torch is 15 yrs old and used very little. It is a Gentec 142T handle & 142C cutting head (I think it's Victor type)

Is this torch worth rebuilding or should I buy a new torch?

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced new torch for a guy that only uses one a couple of times a year.. I will mostly be cutting 1/2" and under steel.

Also If i need to buy one I would want it to work with propane as I want to switch when my Acet. Is gone.

Thanks

/ O/A Torch Popping #2  
Check the O rings where the cutting attachment connects to the handle, if it uses them. Don't know why the tips would stop seating if it's not used much. Has it always done that?

/ O/A Torch Popping #3  
Usually if the cutting tip itself isn't seated properly you'll get flames and or black soot around the tip. Check the O-rings first but also a torch can pop/backfire if the acetylene isn't opened enough or sometimes if it gets too hot like in a tight corner or something.

/ O/A Torch Popping
Thanks, I think I'll take the torch in to my LWS so I get the right O-rings, hopefully that fixes it.

If new O-rings don't work should I rebuild it or buy a new one?

/ O/A Torch Popping #5  
You might be holding the tip to close to the heat causing the gas to explode in the tip...

/ O/A Torch Popping
It pops just trying to adjust the flame.

/ O/A Torch Popping #8  
Change o-rings anyway but you can gently clean the tip seat with a scotchbrite pad. Check the tip too it may have a ding in it's seat area or the oxygen hole may be partially plugged. Then crank it down pretty tight and it should work. It's not really safe to use it that way.

/ O/A Torch Popping
Thanks guys, I took it to my LWS and the O-rings were fine. He asked me what pressures I was using (40 psi oxy & 7 psi acet) and hooked it up to their tanks and it started popping! He then turned the oxy down to 35 psi and the torch worked perfectly, I took it home and fired it up with 35 on the oxy and it worked great!!!! Man, sometimes the most simple of things can make a guy feel so stupid. Oh well, at least it was a free fix, and thanks to the guys at my LWS. :)

/ O/A Torch Popping #10  
Unless your cutting 1"+ you don't need more than 35 PSI oxy (30 is good for most general cutting) and about 4 PSI acet. I'm guessing you had a smaller size tip?