Odd goo in carburetor

/ Odd goo in carburetor #1  

WilliamTO-35

Silver Member
Tractor
1955 Ferguson TO-35
I removed the Carter UT carburetor from my '55 Ferguson TO-35 to clean it out. I knew a bit of water had gotten into the fuel tank, and I expected to see the usual corrosion and crud in the carb. What I found, however, was new to me. There was quite a bit of a yellowish goo that resembled clumps of apple jelly in color and consistancy. The goo was distributed on the top, bottom, and sides of the float chamber. If I had collected it all, it would have filled a sewing thimble. The yellow goo would not dissolve in lacquer thinner, rubbing alcohol, starting ether, electronics cleaner, spray carb cleaner, gasoline, water, or water based household cleaners. I left the goo in a pan, and within about 3 hours most of the mass had evaporated, and left behind only particles about the size of sand. The goo was apparently mostly some mixture of gasoline, water, and ethanol from the fuel. I didn't find any goo in the fuel tank or inline filter.
Has anyone else encountered such a substance ? I've cleaned my share of carburetors over the years, including a lot with water contamination, but I've never seen this goo before. My fuel tank is a temporary red poly tank that has held up well for several years. The black rubber fuel line may or may not have been ethanol resistant. The clear plastic fuel filter is only two years old, and I assume was made for gasoline containing ethanol. The fuel I've used is pump gas with 10% ethanol, and I haven't used any additives. It's possible that winter temperatures promoted the formation of this substance ( lately lows around 25 degrees at night, highs around 36 to 44 degrees day). My shop temperature was about 45 degrees today while working on the carb, and the goo was certainly not frozen.

/ Odd goo in carburetor #2  
I am in the Marine business part time so if you are using a Boat Gas Tank it probably is not approved for ethanol. Every marine engine I have worked on it is not recommended to run ethanol blended fuels. I have seen this but its usually black junk. If you look at any marina the fuel is most always 89 octane ethanol free. Its one of only 3 place in the state of Indiana you can purchase fuel without ethanol by law. The other 2 being Co-Op for off road use only and airports for aviation fuels.

Take the fuel line off and cut off 1" then slice that open. 9 times out of 10 if its not ethanol approved it will look brand new on the outside but the inside will be soft like bubble gum.

Did I mention I hate ethanol.

Chris

/ Odd goo in carburetor #3  
As a life long fix it man, I've pretty much seen every kind of carb goo there is.

On most modern lawn mowers and such, I no longer kit the carbs. Between the goos that modern fuels and additives, coupled with neglect, produce and the use of cheap plastics and components, there's no way. They get new carbs, hoses, etc.

You may never actually know just what that cr*p was. Hope you get 'er running.

/ Odd goo in carburetor #4  
As a life long fix it man, I've pretty much seen every kind of carb goo there is.

On most modern lawn mowers and such, I no longer kit the carbs. Between the goos that modern fuels and additives, coupled with neglect, produce and the use of cheap plastics and components, there's no way. They get new carbs, hoses, etc.

You may never actually know just what that cr*p was. Hope you get 'er running.

I hear ya. My neighbors kids go cart would not run. I took the carb off and it was toast. Could not get a kit and a new carb was $100 for its little 5 HP engine. Cant remember if it was BS or Tecumseh. Anyway, went down to HF and picked up a 5.5 HP motor with 20% coupon for $89 and off they go.

Chris

/ Odd goo in carburetor #5  
I got a free mower from a coworker who could not get it to run. It had electrical gremlins. so i disconected the electroic switches etc and just jump it off to use it. Anyway it had this white crusty stuff in the float bowl that looked like sand, the guys and the small engine place said that it was just the old nasty ethonol fuel evaporated? I 'm not that old but have been into a handfull of carbs on various things and never had i seen that type stuff.

/ Odd goo in carburetor #6  
i've seen some nasty stuff in carbs after fuel tank line disolved from ethanol gas... yummy!

soundguy

/ Odd goo in carburetor #7  
Never really thought about what is was.... Other than it was usually the PROBLEM!!. If I had to think about it, could it be the result of a little water reacting with the cheap "pot metals" that the carburetor housings are made of? Always reminds me of barnacles gorwing on the bottom of an old boat!!! hahaha.. I can remember disassembline an old quadrajunk carburetor and seeing that stuff back in the late 80's long before ETHANOL fuel...

/ Odd goo in carburetor #8  
i know when ethanol hit.. one of my old gassers with an old oem non rebuilt carb literally turned green after the first tank and then crystals and junk grey in it. i tried to kit it.. but nada.. all the lil holes permamenently closed up!

soundguy