Loader Odd squeak from front (axle?) with a full bucket of gravel - kubota 3400 - problem?

/ Odd squeak from front (axle?) with a full bucket of gravel - kubota 3400 - problem? #1  

aarobyn

Tractor
TBD
I have a kubota L3400 (~5 years old, ~150 hours). It has whatever the standard kubota full-size front-end loader was at the time I bought it.

Last weekend I was going to move a big pile of pea gravel (2 dump-trucks full) from the driveway to where it was needed out back. I've moved plenty of dirt and rock (and wood) over the years and a fair amount in just the last month or so without ever having any issues.

However, last weekend I noticed an intermittent squeaking coming from what sounded like the front axle, right side, audible both over the engine noise and through the ear protection. After some experimentation I figured out 2 things.
1) it was happening ~ once per rotation of the front tire
2) It was happening only while the loader was full of the pea gravel

Not wanting to make any situation worse, but not able to dedicate some precious weekend time to being idle, I parked the tractor out back, didn't attempt any further troubleshooting, and went on to other chores. Since then it's either been raining or I've been out of town so I haven't gathered any more info on what's up.

So my questions for the forum are
1) Does anyone know straight-up what the problem is? Anyone experience something like this before?
2) Where should I start my troubleshooting this weekend once I have a chance to get at it?
3) Any chance that I have done major damage already? Any chance that if I go ahead and move the gravel (maybe just a 1/2 bucket at a time) that I'll do any permanent / major damage?

Thanks in advance,

- Aaron

/ Odd squeak from front (axle?) with a full bucket of gravel - kubota 3400 - problem? #2  
my have some gravel stuck in the wheel and only rubbing with full bucket

/ Odd squeak from front (axle?) with a full bucket of gravel - kubota 3400 - problem?
That would probably be the best possible answer! I'll check for that first. Thanks!

/ Odd squeak from front (axle?) with a full bucket of gravel - kubota 3400 - problem? #4  
Check your wheel lug torques. The spider may be 'itching' against the hub.

/ Odd squeak from front (axle?) with a full bucket of gravel - kubota 3400 - problem? #5  
If it's 4WD, check all (3) axle oil levels. 1 in the center differential, and the other 2 are the "bevel gears" at each axle end close to the wheel. You should find at each location a (upper) full level plug, and a lower "drain" plug. If it's 2wd, check the wheel bearings. (along with zzby6's above check):thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Odd squeak from front (axle?) with a full bucket of gravel - kubota 3400 - problem?
Thanks all - I'll give those a check as well, although I'm not quite sure what the spider itching against the hub is (I'll have to look that up).

/ Odd squeak from front (axle?) with a full bucket of gravel - kubota 3400 - problem? #7  
Yes, definitely check lug nut torque! Do it on all 4 wheels just to be sure.

/ Odd squeak from front (axle?) with a full bucket of gravel - kubota 3400 - problem? #8  
Remember you can use the FEL to lift front wheels off of ground...turn wheels, maybe can hear squeak or grinding noise/scraping precursor to squeak under load...stethoscope might help locate source. Good time to grease all zerks...don't forget the one where the front wheels pivot up and down...on my Kubota you have to remove a plug and insert grease until it begins to ooze out the hole, then reinsert the plug.

/ Odd squeak from front (axle?) with a full bucket of gravel - kubota 3400 - problem? #9  
Did you have any substantial weight on the 3pt hitch while you were moving the gravel?
If not, consider doing so in the future.
For now, I'd do a others have said:
Check fluid levels & grease all zerks.
Check lug nuts & loader mounting/attachment nut & bolts for torque.
Lift front wheels with FEL, disengage 4WD and see if rotating the wheels, manually, reproduces the squeak.
Careful when you have the front end lifted to never get between the tractor & the ground - use jack stands if you have tall enough.
I'd lay odds on either wheel or FEL loose bolts.

/ Odd squeak from front (axle?) with a full bucket of gravel - kubota 3400 - problem? #10  
BABY GRAND is on it. If you do not carry a substantial counterbalance weight on your 3-Pt hitch when transporting heavy loads, like gravel, in your FEL bucket you put a big strain on the front axle and front axle bearings.